It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fractal Patterns in African Villages- An Interesting Hypothesis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Came across this which I found to be pretty fascinating. Ron Eglash, an "ethno-mathematician" discussing fractal patterns he's found in African villages. Fractals are found all across nature and it is my belief that the universe is a sort of self-organizing fractal that repeats infinitely on all scales.

Interesting hypothesis being presented here. Fractals are a part of human consciousness it seems, and it all starts in Africa.

Watch the presentation HERE.

[edit on 10-12-2007 by PhotonEffect]

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Very good video, fractals are indeed a good indication that nature works in certain patterns.
Now if scientists to day where to implement the patterns of nature into their inventions and theories we would get some great outcomes.

Some of the greatest inventions actually does this already, people just didnt realise it was a Natural pattern, until the discovery/acknowledgement of fractals.

Well worth a watch!

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I suppose you can apply this to the universe? Very interesting subject to look further into....It really amazes me how much a lot of things boil down to mathematics..They always told me in school that we use math everyday but at that time I dreaded to hear that while i worked on a word problem for hours...
..go figure!

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluess

Bluess,

Thanks for your reply. It seems that even our modern day binary code could be somewhat based on a fractal pattern, as was shown in the video with the Bamana. Their sand divination patterns seem to resemble a binary system; a system by which the functionality of modern day digital computers are based.

So it could be said that, consciously, some technology to an extent is based on fractal patterns. All new to me quite honestly but something worth delving deeper into.

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by qd22vcc

Yes! I believe that the universe resembles an elaborate fractal pattern the extends infinitely in size in both directions, from the uber-huge all the way down to the molecular level. And that it is somehow ingrained in our consciousness as well.

I'm no expert but it's a concept which I find to be very interesting. And Mathematics is the key to unlocking the mysteries of the universe. Wish I would've paid more attention in class...

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by PhotonEffect

If you would like to learn about another mathmatical example that creates fractals, take a look at Marko Rodins work at: Vortex based mathmatics

or look at his videos on youtube: Youtube Marko Rodin

This is very "heavy duty" to use Marko's words. This is 44 videos to make almost a 4 hours long discussion/lecture of vortex based mathmatics.

however it is well worth the time as it relates to well almost anything you can imagine, just like fractals.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluess

I'm not familiar Marko Rodin or vortex based mathematics, but will definitely take a look at what you've provided.

It sounds intriguing to say the least.

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This is an interesting slide presentation showing examples of fractals in the universe....

www.fractaluniverse.org...

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
How come people can see the fractals of the universe and of the earth, but no one can see the cycle of Global heating and cooling for what it really is. Just another pattern!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by qd22vcc

Cool slide presentation. Thanks.

I particularly like the hurricane and tad-pole galaxy comparison.

Here is another site with some interesting fractals in nature.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by PhotonEffect

I wouldn't say "it all starts in Africa" (not necessarily, I mean), but it definitely IS very interesting.

Thank you!

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I'd like to know where this advanced priestly mathematical knowledge has come from. Obviously it was so important that it had to be taught specifically to a select few; it was not open to all.

In these African tribes it's considered important, religious knowledge...i'd say that's a little odd.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Fractal geometry was a mainstay in Islamic art for centuries.

[edit on 12-12-2007 by kegs]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Here are some really pretty and interesting "man made" fractals, really amazing, aside from some of the fractals we see in nature imagine what we could potentially see...Maybe it wouldnt be recognizable??

www.fractalus.com...

fractalartgallery.com...

new topics

top topics

join