It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A tropical storm... in December???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   
www.nhc.noaa.gov...

It appears that in the south-east Carribean there is a 'tropical' disturbance...

I know it is not impossible for a tropical disturbance to occour outside of the 'offical' hurricane season, but its friggin december.

I remember a few years ago there was a hurricane at the end of october, and the news made a HUGE deal about it.

I wonder how this guy will go.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Its not all that uncommon actually. They happen every few years or so. I've seen one on Christmas before. That was back in the 80's I think.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Well, being I live in South Florida, you can be sure I will be watching this one close. Hopefully it will move over cooler water and will dissipate, but who knows with the way things are going.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 01:38 AM
link   
James McCanney predicted some major storms just before Christmas on his radio show this week. Seems that there’s a planetary alignment that he believes influences such things.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by resistor

semi-related
You never know...

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 05:31 AM
link   
It happens both before and after hurricane season.
No big deal.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
New update

Update

WHILE A TROPICAL OR SUBTROPICAL CYCLONE
COULD STILL FORM DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS...UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE
EXPECTED TO BECOME GRADUALLY LESS FAVORABLE FOR DEVELOPMENT OVER
THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS.

A CLOSED SURFACE
CIRCULATION HAS DEVELOPED

Why must they have the anouncent in CAPS, does it make up pay more attenion...

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I believe it hits land fall, it will be a Northeaster and not a tropical storm or hurricane. These tropical disturbances are actually quite common. Sounds like some Global Warming fear mongerer is trying to push an agenda. Nothing freaky here.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by traderonwallst Sounds like some Global Warming fear mongerer is trying to push an agenda.

Well, they had a very disapointing year this past year, im sure they are just trying to get thier work in for the season.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
It was not a dissappointing year. 2 major category 5's and you're calling it a bust? Just because the hurricanes didn't affect the USA doesn't mean the season is less significant. Oh and if this get's named we're up to Letter O in the alphabet... pretty busy year even though we didn't get any direct hits.

oh and I'm definitely keeping a wary eye on this new disturbance.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

No direct hits = no ratings for the TV stations = Down year

NOw for the average person, yea, it was a lucky season.

For the people that thrive on others tragady, not so much

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by alaskan
reply to post by resistor

semi-related
You never know...

Yeah, I’ve been following that with some interest. There’s a great thread on it in here somewhere. BTW, what you do for fun is a far cry from what I was doing on my ‘78 Mongoose with home made ramps back in the day.
RIP Evil Knievel.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I will hope it develops into a frog strangling tropical storm and heads up through Florida and Georgia. We desperately need a really good soaker.

Was in north west Georgia last week and it is a pitiful site to see the dried up lakes.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
As of 11pm, we now have SubTropical Storm Olga!

SubTropical Storm Olga
1100 PM AST MON DEC 10 2007

...LOW PRESSURE AREA NEAR PUERTO RICO AND THE VIRGIN ISLANDS
DEVELOPS INTO SUBTROPICAL STORM OLGA...

5 Day Forecast puts Olga South of the U.S mainland... looks like it will be tracking westwards towards the Yucatan.

The pattern this year has not been good for them.

[edit on 12-10-2007 by worldwatcher]

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
It was not a dissappointing year. 2 major category 5's and you're calling it a bust? Just because the hurricanes didn't affect the USA doesn't mean the season is less significant.

I think I already discussed this on this thread. The propensity to quickly jump to naming a storm has completely thrown this stat off. They are much quicker to name storms now a days.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Watcher beat me too it, we now have Olga, aint she nice.

Oh where oh Where will she Go?

I like what Dizzi said, lets hope this thing turns north and unleashes some reain on the south-east. They sure could use it.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Olga has claimed 14 lifes in the Carribbean, Sadly includeing a 3 year old child,.

Dominican Republic was hit hard and 5000 people said to be affected, Many homes have been wiped out,

SANTO DOMINGO (AFP) — Tropical Storm Olga, a rare December cyclone, left at least 14 people dead in the Caribbean as pounding rains triggered major floods and landslides, authorities said Wednesday.In the Dominican Republic, at least 11 people were killed in the northern city of Santiago by the flooding and the release of water from the Tavera dam, which swept down the Yaque del Norte river valley, the country's Emergency Operations Center said.

Some 2,000 people were evacuated from the area as a precautionary measure, said center director Juan Manuel Mendez.

AFP

[edit on 12-12-2007 by asala]

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

Wow, its not a very powertful strom , i wonder if some people arent taking it seriously.

The forecasts shows that they expect it to turn north. Mabye it will give some rain to the SE.

IF they have some weather manipulation devices, now is the time to use them.

[edit on 12/13/2007 by TKainZero]

top topics

join