It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Universal Language Translators

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
MBF

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I thought about this a while back. I had found one by Casio that only translated English and Japanese I think.

I thought that since there is speech recognition programs that change speech to written words and then language translation programs and then programs to change written words to speech, why not put them together. All you would have to do is speak into the machine and it would speak the different language.

I wonder why we are not seeing more of this. It would be of GREAT use.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
it'll happen soon enough.

as of right now, the only way to make a translator to that quality is to basically have people independently program in a word in English and then reprogram that word in every other language: rinse and repeat for every other word, and sentence structure there is. that would take up a lot of time, energy, and money..

but of course with the way technology is growing, their saying, i think, the year 2021 or a super computer will be built that exceeds the human brain capacity and technology will grow exponential every 72 hours (based on statistics). its when we get to this point a ULT can be quickly and efficiently massed produced.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I'm not sure what would be gained by universally translating languages or even dialects of the same tongue. You would have to have a common IQ, social understanding and structure...the list is endless. It would be as much of a disaster as reading people's minds. Our language is a defense mechanism too. It's a part of human evolution. Here's a perfect example: ATS. This is limited to text for the most part, yet people argue and debate and spend most of their time arguing about meaning. It would take years to understand the subtleties of the Chinese language with a device literally translating to English AND you would have no idea about emotion or innuendo. Anyone who has ever misinterpreted an email (as this one could be potentially) knows what I'm talking about.

[edit on 11-12-2007 by WarrenPiece]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 06:20 AM
link   
there is one and it is transalating in real time , althou for now it transalates speech to words (because they want to be sure it transalates correctly before doing it speech to speech) and only a few languages but it is beeing worked on . It is beeing made by a japanese corporation , sorry fergot the name but I know it to be true cause I heard it on the radio news a few days ago.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
oh, but of course

the japanese invent everything first

and then big brother (american government) is going to try to buy the rights for it and use it so they can take over the world and becoming something inbetween dictatorship and tyranny.

MBF

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Japan has half the population as the U.S. and graduates five times the number of engineers as we do. This country needs to get off it's rear end and.....
...never mind.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I know there are hand-held 'calculator sized' instruments that one can easily type in a word, press a button, and VOILA...decifered into another language.

Alot of computers today, can recognize the 'user's' voice and can perform instructions.

As there are varying degrees of linguistic accents, within our own English language, I don't forsee this to be too much of a problem when interpreting to another tongue.

I wonder if this has already surpassed the drawing board, and is in its infant stages of development.

Should this come to fruition...we'd be taking the next best step, to closing the field of 'mis-communication' between one another.

Might put alot of human translators out of work, but think about taking that next vacation to a foreign land, and bringing along the Universal Translator.

We would actually get 'real directions' to a place, instead of mistaking foreigners words with something else.

~Ducky~

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join