It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prognosis Is Poor For South St. Louis Teen Tased By Police

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Obviously this doesn't apply to this kid. He was drunk and attacked cops. There's not a whole lot to say about that beyond, "YOU DRUNK MORON!" Does that mean the officers handled the situation appropriately? To that I can only speculate. If this kid was a scrawny 120lb stoner, I would say absolutely not. If he was a lineman for his highschool football team, he could have done some real damage if the officers didn't compare in stature.

I just want to throw this out there, because like I said, this kid is my cousin and I'm pretty close to what's going on:
He didn't attack the cops. He didn't charge them or throw anything at them or get physical with them in any way. The article is skewed to make it look like the cops had every reason to stun him, when in fact they just jumped the gun and got overeager.
Even if he had attacked them, the first thing the cops should have done when he fell down was to call the paramedics. Instead they let him lie there with no oxygen to his brain for thirty minutes and wouldn't let my aunt give him CPR. That's the real problem here, in my opinion.

That's all I wanted to say.

apc

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Ah yes I do apologize. I had tried to maintain in the beginning of this thread that his attacking the police was an allegation, not proven fact. Stick allegedly in that quoted paragraph where appropriate. This is nothing personal but your words are hearsay and are therefore inadmissible. If your cousin's mother witnessed the entire event as you have described I urge her to file a complaint and hire a lawyer if she hasn't already. That would make this case one on the growing list of abusive and outright malicious police encounters.

>
By the way, may I ask what is his current condition?

[edit on 14-12-2007 by apc]

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Ah yes I do apologize. I had tried to maintain in the beginning of this thread that his attacking the police was an allegation, not proven fact. Stick allegedly in that quoted paragraph where appropriate. This is nothing personal but your words are hearsay and are therefore inadmissible. If your cousin's mother witnessed the entire event as you have described I urge her to file a complaint and hire a lawyer if she hasn't already. That would make this case one on the growing list of abusive and outright malicious police encounters.

>
By the way, may I ask what is his current condition?

[edit on 14-12-2007 by apc]

No offense taken. I understand my words on this website don't really mean anything to anybody. I just wanted to state the facts as I understand them. And yes, I believe she plans to take legal action.

My cousin is actually - miraculously - doing better. It turns out he does have some brain activity and he has opened his eyes a few times. He hasn't actually woken up yet or said anything, but it's looking a lot better for him. For a few days there we really didn't think he was going to make it. But (and keep in mind I'm not at all religious) hundreds of people who don't even know him or our family are out there praying for him and thinking about him. I never really thought before about the kind of power that sort of thing has, but it seems to be doing him a lot of good. My mom, a nurse for thirty-something years, says she's never seen anything like it.
Thank you for asking.

apc

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Your words are not without meaning or importance. It's just a friend-of-a-friend type situation. Your presenting the "other side" of the issue is just as important as the report that started the discussion in the first place.

I would appreciate it if you could update this thread as new developments arise which you feel are appropriate to share. Not only of your cousin's health, but of the result of any action against the police. If the cops are guilty, it would do a lot of people well to know the police can still be held accountable for such crimes.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by apc

I agree totally ... in my local agency the fitness test for females is 15 pushups and for males its 30.

Yet they both deal with the same criminals and do the same job so therefore both sexes should have to do 30 pushups.

apc

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
30!@?!?!#$! !#@$%!@#$ ...... @%!(@*#($*)(*@#($%(!@

That's pathetic! No wonder cops are taser happy. They couldn't restrain a toddler!

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
I would appreciate it if you could update this thread as new developments arise which you feel are appropriate to share. Not only of your cousin's health, but of the result of any action against the police. If the cops are guilty, it would do a lot of people well to know the police can still be held accountable for such crimes.

Yes, I'll try to keep everyone updated with any news I hear. It's going to be a very long road to recovery, but hopefully I'll occasionally have some good news to share.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, but my cousin was moved out of the ICU into a step down unit on Christmas Day. He can't really talk because he has a tube in his throat, but he's mouthing words and they gave him a clipboard so he can write notes. Sometimes what he writes doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's coherent more often than not. He seems to have full use of his limbs and was able to change the channel on the television. It's still a long road, but I think he'll make a pretty decent recovery.

apc

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I know what it's like to be stuck in the hospital on Christmas Day. It sucks. Glad to hear he's doing better.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Since the kid allegedly attacked the cops he's lucky he's not dead anyway. For all we know he's 180lbs of raw muscle. Bullets used to be the only thing to help in that situation. Although I agree if he does die this should go on the "How Can You Idiots Believe Tasers Can't Kill?" tally board.

this is the most ridiculas thing I have read all day. I do not care if he was 250lbs. the police use to, and still do, subdue violent people all the time, the idea that the only answer is a taser or a gun is no more than a display of ignorance...

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Tasers should be an alternative to lethal force, not an alternative to physical force.

All too often we don't have the whole story to work with when we discuss these issues and here on this forum there is a large contingent of those who look for any incident to start harping on the government and its agents.

However, I am of the opinion that it is high time for there to be a high-level investigation into the protocol for usage of the taser.

Belligerent, uncooperative or even combative behavior, in and of themselves, should not be cause enough to employ such a device.

[edit on 2007/12/28 by GradyPhilpott]

apc

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Sorry, but if some no-neck is coming at me with the intent to cause me or mine harm and who knows what else, I'm putting a bullet in him. And I would be justified.

However the third party statements presented by outpost would seem to indicate this was nowhere near the case and the deployment was in no way justified.

reply to post by GradyPhilpott

It's one thing to demand this on the Internet. It's another to demand it from officials. This is one battle that takes big guns to fight, and that is why I have joined the ACLU. Lame, I know. But they're the only major influence that I've seen standing up against this injustice, and for that I will continue to donate to them.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
reply to post by Animal

Sorry, but if some no-neck is coming at me with the intent to cause me or mine harm and who knows what else, I'm putting a bullet in him. And I would be justified.

I seriously hope you are not involved with law enforcement, your statements make you seem like you would be more of a threat than anything.

[edit on 28-12-2007 by Animal]

apc

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Yeah, ain't being a civilian great? If I were a cop I'd have to fill out all that paperwork. But at least I wouldn't have gotten killed putting up with stuff like this:

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by apc

Fear not. I have ways of getting things done on a national level. I can't take credit for being a mover and a shaker, but never underestimate the power of a single citizen to get a single legislator to call for a Congressional investigation.

I am actually waiting for the results of an investigation ordered by one of my senators at my request into an issue that got considerable national coverage.

Legislators want to hear what their constituents think and when the request is feasible, they are more than willing to comply and changes can be effected by the request of one single citizen.

[edit on 2007/12/29 by GradyPhilpott]

apc

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Nice. My rep, Cleaver, is a douchebag. But this city loves his earmarks. He's a former mayor, too.
I don't even bother with the senators in there now.

[edit on 29-12-2007 by apc]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join