It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Worried over Beef? Try something Similar and Healthier

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
With the current concerns about the beef industry and even other recent news concerning lamb, buffalo could be just the answer you�re looking to find. Perhaps this might even be an education for you about this incredibly healthy beef alternative.

Its scientific name is Bison Bison, and the American Buffalo actually belongs to the bovine family of mammals, the same as domestic cattle. They can be also be referred to as the Plains Bison or buffalo, but are not related to "true" buffalo from Asia or Africa. There is no fence that will hold a 2000-pound buffalo. They can jump a six-foot high fence with ease, or can even power right through it.

The biggest concern many people might have with eating buffalo meat is taste. Many people that have made the switch, say it tastes like beef wished it did. If prepared properly, cooked with lower heat due to very little fat content, it is every bit as tender as beef and will taste hearty, sweet and rich with no gamey taste at all. All of that and nearly fat free? Sounds almost too good to be true.

In a time where beef has caused some people to have an allergic reaction, due to chemicals and hormone injections, no one to date has had a reaction to buffalo meat. Many suspect it is because buffalo are not subjected to chemicals, drugs, or hormones. They are not force-fed in high-density pens. By their very nature, they are handled as little as possible and spend most of their time grazing, and very little time (if any at all) in the feedlot.

Medically proven to contain an excellent ratio of Omega-3 to Omega-6 acids, studies have been performed at many major universities (Cornell, U. of Utah, U. of South Dakota, Penn State, even the U. of Bristol in England) as to the health benefits. Buffalo is lower in cholesterol and calories, and yet higher in iron and protein than beef. It even has less cholesterol than chicken with the skin removed or even fish.

A few statistics when compared directly to beef:
- 70% to 90% less fat (depending upon the cut of the meat.)
- An average if 50% less cholesterol.
- 30% higher in protein and less calories.
- No growth-inducing hormones or steroids.
- No known human allergies.
- Higher in Iron.
- No Problems with E-Coli in buffalo.

With the recent discovery of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE; a.k.a.: "mad cow" disease) found in Washington State, concern is still high among consumers. BSE is a brain-wasting illness, which can incubate in humans for years before any symptoms become visible. Occurrences of BSE in cows are a direct result of the ingestion of animal by-products (brain, spinal cord, central nervous system tissue and/or intestines) which has been known to be processed right back to cattle feed. This helps keep the overall cost of beef relatively low, but more so for the beef producers through a lower cost margin of raising a single animal.

BSE has NEVER been observed in buffalo. Researchers consider buffalo, in theory, just as vulnerable to the BSE disease as any other bovine, but the bison business operates on such a small scale that it has sidestepped many of the more controversial practices that are thought to increase the risk of infection. The buffalo industry also keeps careful records and is so tight knit, that some say no one could "cut corners" in production without others spreading the word.

So if you�re concerned, but still would like a nice steak or burger, then perhaps buffalo would be a great and an even healthy choice over beef.

Related News Links
MSNBC
Tallahassee News
BBC � BSE and CJD Central

Related ATS Discussions
Avoid Mad-Cow? I'd Rather Avoid Chicken...
Cattle Mutilations - Mad Cow Connection?
Mad Cow Disease: The Chemical Industry Plays Dirty
Mad Cow disease in US!

[Edited on 6-2-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
interesting article zedd, and people should be more aware of what is going on, especially since that other article, saying the infected cow was a mover? walker? what was that word??

anyway I'll stick to eating buffalo wings

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Indeed. The "downer" status of the infected animal is now in question.
You can read more about that situation here: MSNBC

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
i havent eaten beef or pork in over 5 years, don't plan on it anytime soon but i supposed i'd try buffalo if i came across some.

top topics

join