It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Golden Compass is Anti Christian?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Read the book, saw the early preview for the film, and I don't get it. Unless they mean that there are no scenes of little boys being brutally raped by men of the cloth, gays dragged to death behind the car of a local pastor, women being treated as third rate humans, then I guess it is Anti Christian.

Anyways, don't listen to those nut jobs, great book, great movie. Scene with the drunk polar bear was adorable. I know I'm too old to be using words like that but still it was.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I just saw this film today.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

I'm not to surprised that the Evangelicals find this film as anti-Christian as it explores many concepts antithetical to Christian dogma.

I'll bet "PeeWee's Big Adventure" was deemed threatening to the Evangelicals.

Sad really, they're only movies, fantasy, fiction, and fun.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
It isn't anti-Christian. It is more anti organized religion. Pullman is an agnostic/athiest. I use both because he himself has used both terms is how he feels/thinks. Though I doubt the movies are as obvious about it as the actual trilogy of His Dark Materials is.

I wonder if they will actually make the other 2 in to movies since they are even more anti-organised religion than the first book. He basically is killing off God or the notion of a supreme being. What I do not understand is the anger that people of faith have with it. It isn't like he is hitting the streets preaching and teaching about his beliefs. He wrote works of FICTION and his beliefs in novels.

No one is making people read his books. No one is making people go out and buy tickets to the movie. Which is very good but like I said it is very cut down and dumbed down in my opinion but worth seeing nontheless.

But the key word is FICTION.

Last I looked, no one thought the words written about Middle-Earth were the gospel either.

[edit on 12/11/2007 by bobafett1972]

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Was it somewhere here on ATS that someone noted a remark from Kidman, that she had requested that the movie would not parade a strong anti-religious message?

I think it's too bad that books get mis-intreprited or downplayed when made into movies, because some people can't deal with their ideals being challenged.
If the author was atheist then ofcourse his book would be influenced by that. He's an artist that had an oppinion and it was his right to put out his views in that way.

Not having read the books, I'm looking forward to the increase in anti religion in the last two movies.

Regarding the movie itself... I must admit they are doing well at handing us one adventure after another that I want to see the next part of immediately and I will no doubt when no. 3 has been shown go complain about "what are we gonna disappear into now that it's all over?!
", hehe.
The girl is awesome in my oppinion, strong expression and pretty descent acting.
The rest of the cast fits perfectly too, I didn't even notice Gandalf as the icebear to begin with

top topics

join