It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New species of large snake discovered in Kenya

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I found this to be an interesting article. The snake in question is a Spitting Cobra over nine feet in length and believed to be a new species.

NAIROBI (Reuters) - A new species of giant spitting cobra, measuring nearly nine feet and possessing enough venom to kill at least 15 people, has been discovered in Kenya, a conservation group said on Friday.

WildlifeDirect said the cobras were the world's largest and had been identified as unique. The species has been named Naja Ashei after James Ashe, who founded Bio-Ken snake farm on Kenya's tropical coast where the gigantic serpents are found.

Record-size spitting cobra found in Kenya

It's finds like these that still give me hope that there's still a fairly decent amount of large land fauna that we've yet to discover.

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Thats a big cobra, seems strange that they have never been discovered before, good find

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Opulisum
Thats a big cobra, seems strange that they have never been discovered before, good find

Not strange really, chances are they are spotted but ppl just ignore it thinking its just another cobra.

Unless a creature have striking features like having 3 horns or something, ppl will always refuse to give it a second look.

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Yes, I can imagine someone seeing this cobra and, well, running. You're not going to wait around to get a good look from something spitting venom at you, are you? It was a cobra, a big cobra, but nothing more.

Now, a big hairy humanoid spitting fire at you or something, you might report it

new topics

top topics

join