It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So this is Christmas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Not sure if this is the correct
forum. Please move if not.

John Lennon

So this is Christmas,
Imagine for an intro

Call me crazy, but has the
world forgotten what Christ-
mas is for ?

I'm not religious, but I do
think that there is a point to
this holiday.

It's not toys for children.
It's not jewelry for wives.
It's certainly not ties and
socks for husbands.

It's about the birth of a very
wise man, and the gifts of
wisdom he gave us.

Instead of running up the credit
card bills, try these ideas :

For the children;
Love and understanding.
Be there for them.
Show them how to care.

For the ladies;
Love and understanding.
Be there for them.
Show them you care.

For the men;
See above.

Pretty simple, huh ?

Personally, I despise this time
of year. Too many horrid
memories from my childhood.
The toys could never make up
for lack of parental attention.

As an adult, I'd like to ask..
nay, beg, please truly give a
gift this year.

Give yourself.

Hell, it's free.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Lex..I have never agreed with you more.The dozens of gifts I got for christmas as a child, never made up for the fact that I was raised by babysitters.One reason why I have raised my children the way that I have...they have never had a sitter that was not their older brother or sister, and never for more than a few hours with the exception of my trip to NY.Their collection of toys is tiny compared to the library of books.
I could have never received a greater gift than my children...and I let them know that every way I can...not just over the holidays.
I try to do that for everyone.Friends as well.Even over the internet.
Lex..
>HUGS<
I do care..
AD

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Hate to bump my own post.

I see the reads, and no
responses.

Did this hit a nerve ?
Feel guilty ?
Want to return that gift ?
Maybe want to hug your
spouse ?

Did this hurt ?

Wondering,
Lex

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Did this hit a nerve? No.

Feel Guilty? No.

Want to return that gift? No.

Maybe want to hug your spouse? Always.

Did this hurt? Well my laptop is on my lap so my sperm count is probably dropping as I type this, but pain? No.

Christmas means different things to different people, I enjoy getting stuff (presents) for my family and I spend plenty of time with them. I'm sorry for people that have had a bad time of it.

It's very true that you can't buy love.

It's very sad that some people think you can, but you can't.

Different strokes and all that. I've even been told a story about a shopping mall in Japan that for Xmas back sometime in the 80's when it started to become more popular over there, they got a little confused and stuck Santa up on a cross and were really pleased with how it looked. (don't know if this is true, but it made me laugh)

Not everyone buys presents as a way of bucking their parental responsibility. If I could reach in to the stars and give my son the moon I would, but only if I thought I would benefit him in some way.

Monkey

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Lexion

I will say..perhaps no replies, but if the idea was to get people to think Lex..Iam sure you have accomplished that.

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Lex, you have outdone yourself.

I agree with you 100%

This world needs more love and understanding and less presents.

BTW, the shoppers are in a fowl mood. Have you been shopping? :shk:

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
And so this is Christmas...what have you done?...

And so this is Christmas.....

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
GREAT post Lex!!
I couldn't have said it better myself. I think the world lacks in what is really needed by kids. Not toys but everything you said!! Toys can't replace the love, caring and understanding a parent can give a child.

Starred and flagged my friend.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by shearder

Exactly my friend.

I'm going to bed now.

Sleepy time for Ducky.

Nite nite!

Love you!

~Ducky~

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

Nitey Nite Duckey!

luv you too...

Sleep tight!

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Uhmmm,

Where's my goodnight kiss?

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
>kiss on the cheek<

With a Bedtime Story

Enjoy,
Lex

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Removing all religious implications from this holiday so that there is no talk of what christmas is about..

Christmas is over commericalized. I have thought that for a long time now. Every year I am flooded with lists of things everyone I know wants and asked repeatedly what I want for christmas.

No one remembers that this holiday is about love. It is about sharing. It is about caring. It is about being a family. And sadly, very few stop to think that we are all family. Every single person on this planet. If people would stop to think on that, I think this world would be a much better place.

VV

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Lex,

OOOOO, thank you and thanks for the bedtime story.

I feel all comfy and warm.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Holiday Aside.
Makes me think about how I act towards the one that loves me.

I mean I am in a point where I should feel great and secure, but I don't, its better than before but, something still hollow inside.

meh, I suppose a few more I wont care as much, just become compliant.

The mall crushes my spirit if that makes sense.

[edit on 22-12-2007 by Lysergic]

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ValhallasValkyrie

I wanted to quote you on this Val:

No one remembers that this holiday is about love. It is about sharing. It is about caring. It is about being a family. And sadly, very few stop to think that we are all family. Every single person on this planet. If people would stop to think on that, I think this world would be a much better place.

Thought this was VERY beautiful what you said.

~Ducky~

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I don't feel guilty and I don't want to return the gifts I bought.

Christmas time means many things for me. It was my favorite time of year growing up, and not really because of presents.

I loved decorating and baking with my grandma and she would keep a jar for me to put change in all year long and then on Christmas eve she would take me to pick out presents for my family members to show me that giving was just as special and fun as recieving. I was amazed by the fact that we were quite poor but my mom always found a way to make sure we had a decent Christmas.

So for me, it's all the memories of my family and ever since my grandmother has been gone, it's the christmas time memories that keep her alive in my heart.

Now I have kids and this year my kids have been through so much and I think they deserve the gifts that I have gotten them because of the stuff we have been through this year. For us it's more than a celebration of being together, it's about overcoming many obstacles to get to the blessings that we have now.

This Christmas eve we are throwing a party for our friends. In thanks for one of our friends because he put us up in his house when we were homeless earlier this year and for our other friend who has no where else to go. I feel really good about it and will have no regrets what so ever.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I'm with you Lex in some way?
Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Jesus. The government loves the Christmas holidays because it boosts the economy for the end year. And I hate the traffic! I hate the crowds of people who look like they want to kill.
Even the churches have become Christmas junkies with the gift buying. Then there's Santa Claus who is more important to children than Christ himself. I'm not religious, but I know the true meaning of Christmas is the birth of Jesus who teached of love and caring for each other. Now all I see is hatred to one another and caring for yourself. Our children need more understanding and education that our government schools won't give them. You can't even hug a friend who has lost a loved one without getting suspended from school. But yet a crazed kid taught by the school system can sneak in and shoot our children and then the school wonders what went wrong? Christmas needs to be a celebration not a competition to see who can get the best gift. I'd like to see how much money was spent through the holiday season. I bet it's a substantual amount of taxable income.

Where are you Christmas should be the question?

top topics

join