It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New online bots mimic online flirtation to gather personal information

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   
This is amazing, but not surprising:

www.rlslog.net...

A program that can mimic online flirtation and then extract personal information from its unsuspecting conversation partners is making the rounds in Russian chat forums...

...good enough that victims have a tough time distinguishing the “bot” from a real potential suitor... establishing up to 10 relationships in 30 minutes...

It compiles a report on every person it meets complete with name, contact information, and photos.

As a tool that can be used by hackers to conduct identity fraud, CyberLover demonstrates an unprecedented level of social engineering,” ...

Among CyberLover’s creepy features is its ability to offer a range of different profiles from “romantic lover” to “sexual predator.” It can also lead victims to a “personal” Web site, which could be used to deliver malware, PC Tools said.

This type of application will be common soon. It's simply data mining combined with an active form of AI. Useful to corporations, governments, and whoever else wants to understand a specific population.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 02:42 AM
link   
An advanced "Sam I am" maybe?

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 03:15 AM
link   
yes, that's a good reference, ha. Eliza is another

Eliza, Joseph Wiezbaum's result of trying to make a program converse in English amazed people when it appeared in mid 1960's. The program was able to converse about any subject, because it stored subject information in data banks. Another feature of Eliza was its ability it picked up speech patterns. notably, after creating one of the most famous programs Wiezbaum objected to the bonds that interviewees were making with his creation, and denounced the intelligence of Eliza. The following passage shows Elizas talking to a teenage girl. The teenager speaks first, and Eliza's answers are in CAPS

library.thinkquest.org...

Men are all alike.

IN WHAT WAY

They're always bugging us about something or other.

CAN YOU THINK OF A SPECIFIC EXAMPLE

Well, my boyfriend made me come here.

YOUR BOYFRIEND MADE YOU COME HERE

He says that I am depressed all the time.

I AM SORRY TO HERE YOU ARE DEPRESSED

It's true that I am unhappy

DO YOU THINK COMING HERE WILL HELP YOU NOT TO BE UNHAPPY

I need help, that seems certain.

DOES THAT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT YOUR BOYFRIEND MADE YOU COME HERE

As impressive as Eliza looks, Wiezbaum noted that it understood no more of the girl's problems as an alarm clock understands when to go off. For example, the last sentence gives the impression of comprehension, but in fact the program is written so that at one point, it modifies the first sentence and applies it as a response.

[edit on 8-12-2007 by scientist]

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 03:20 AM
link   
it'll only work against morons.. or some guy wanting to express sexual frustration to a computer chat thing...

its not amazing that it was developed..

its amazing it can be used for anything constructive for anyone.

-G

apc

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Morons and children, I bet.

Wouldn't it be funny if some priest set one up as a Virtual Confessional, and it somehow got reset to predator mode? That would be too hilarious to see on the news.

"Priest arrested claiming robot seduced children."

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I sometimes wonder of some of those hardcore debunkers, that provide nothing with their bold statements, are Bots

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
WOW good find

I'm always careful with giving out personal info. But what i just read really freaked me out!
never trust them dating websites!

top topics

join