It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mall Security Demands ID From Truthers Under Patriot Act |video|

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Mall Security Demands ID From Truthers Under Patriot Act |video|

www.informationliberation.com

Members of We Are Change Ohio were detained and pestered by mall security for handing out leaflets about 9/11 Truth, including demands for identification, which one guard claimed was "required in public under the Patriot Act." (see 7:50 in the video)
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
wearechangeohio.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The Patriot Act!
News gathering to be illegal under Patriot Act 2?!?!?

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
So now rent-a-cops, mall security guards!, are citing the Patriot Act and demanding our "papers!"

After politely complying with security's initial request to desist from handing out fliers, they went about their business and did a bit of shopping.

Their mistake, IMO, was made when, as they were leaving, in response to a request from a group interested in the message on their attire, they gave them a flier, breaking their earlier agreement.

And in swooped security!

In fact, at one point, they were blocked from reaching their vehicle, and were told that they "were under investigation" and needed to show their identification "under the Patriot Act."

Is this now the law?

Can a security guard, on mall property, now demand to see your identification under the Patriot Act?

Are you breaking a law if you refuse?

www.informationliberation.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by goosdawg
Can a security guard, on mall property, now demand to see your identification under the Patriot Act?

Are you breaking a law if you refuse?

This isn't a case of conspiracy, the US turning into a police-state or anything as ridiculous. Rather, it's a case of security-guard being a blowhard. He was dropping terms like the "Patriot Act" to intimidate the 9/11 "Truthers." He had no backing of the law, as far as the Patriot Act is concerned.

That being said, malls are private property. If security or management feels that the 9/11 "truthers" are being disruptive to business, they may be removed from the property.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Malls are private property. You can be asked to leave at any time. No one has the right to hand out flyers or do whatever they want inside a mall. And security definitely has the right to ask you what you are doing, ask to see some ID, or to ask you to leave. If you don't want to show ID then leave. Security officers are there to protect the shoppers. I'm sure at this time of the year and with all the mall shootings that mall security officers are on high alert.

[edit on 7-12-2007 by zerotime]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I agree that the high alert part is right on, but some of these rent-a-cop people are losers with a big "L". Sadly, their status is somewhere between a real cop and a private citizen. If a "security person" calls the cops on you over something, his word counts for more than yours, a lowly private citizen. I've seen this in action.

I don't know that there is anything that could ever be done about it, but it happens. There's something about a uniform and a badge that makes some people think they are gods.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

Originally posted by SaviorComplex
This isn't a case of conspiracy, the US turning into a police-state or anything as ridiculous.

Yeah, no conspiracy in this particular case, but I disagree with the assertion that the potential for abuse under color of The Patriot Act is in any way "ridiculous."

IMO, it's very real and already taking place, as amply evidenced by this event.

Rather, it's a case of security-guard being a blowhard. He was dropping terms like the "Patriot Act" to intimidate the 9/11 "Truthers."

Agreed, sounds like a case of puffed-up rent-a-cop-itus.

"I AM the law, and you will now respect my authori-tay!"

He had no backing of the law, as far as the Patriot Act is concerned.

Well, they weren't arrested, but...

That being said, malls are private property. If security or management feels that the 9/11 "truthers" are being disruptive to business, they may be removed from the property.

True, and the wearechange-ers screwed up by passing out the flier after agreeing to cease and desist earlier.

Perhaps I should clarify my question:

Under the Patriot Act, can a security guard, on mall property, now legally demand to see your identification, for something so innocuous?

And, again, are you breaking a law if you refuse?

new topics

top topics

join