It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers Launch Major Attack on US Military Labs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
www.pcworld.com...

Hackers have succeeded in breaking into the computer systems of two of the U.S.' most important science labs, the Oak Ridge National Laboratory and Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Does any one know what goes on at these facilities two facilities -- Oak Ridge National Laboratory and Los Alamos National Laboratory? I am curious if the hackers just wanted to get in any server and steal whatever data they can. Or were they after something specific, like which people are involved in specific projects located at these facilities?

Any comments? Inside info?

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by guppy
www.pcworld.com...

Does any one know what goes on at these facilities two facilities -- Oak Ridge National Laboratory and Los Alamos National Laboratory? I am curious if the hackers just wanted to get in any server and steal whatever data they can. Or were they after something specific, like which people are involved in specific projects located at these facilities?

Any comments? Inside info?

From what I remember both labs deal with Nuclear materials.

There is probably other research going on at them too.

When I was a systems administrator at a site we had to go through security audits once a year. Everything was tested. Firewalls from inside and outside the site, servers, data communications equipment, workstations, and physical security. IT was not a Top Secret site but
the auditors were very serious and good at their jobs.

One would think the labs would have even stronger security.

[edit: fixed quote tags]

[edit on 7-12-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Could it be the chinese? as we know they've recently attacked several key places in europe & us so maybe it's just the continuity .
I find his very worrying personally

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Pumbaa2314, Thanks for the info. It does make you wonder what other projects those labs have. With compartmentalization, its almost impossible for people to discover everything. That's the beauty of it.

themaster1, good point. It could very well be China. Yet, at the same time, it could be some geek in a basement with too much time.

This reminds me of what happened to Estonia back in Mid-March of 2007. The country was a victim of an all-out cyber attack. Government, banks, telcos, and more were hacked by a botnet. Could be the same hackers. Perhaps Estonia was just a dummy target to see if the hackers' techniques would really work on their real/primary target.

Estonia Under Russian Cyber Attack

Hackers Take Down the Most Wired Country in Europe

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I have an airforce generals account info for lockheedmartin , All i could scrounge up is some robotics project on sending a robot to the crater on the back of the moon to look for water as they suspect the meteor the struck it was made of ice.

Remember you only as safe as the sites you log into .

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Los Alamos started out as the birth place of the atomic bomb Oak Ridge made the stuff that went into the bomb...
while both places still do some of that the mission statements have changed with the times.. ie, Los Alamos made the press about a new airport bomb detector and a few years back they developed a window film to prevent laser eavesdropping turned out that window film also made the window bullet resistant too. Neither Los Alamos or Oak Ridge are what they once were... real cutting edge had gone on to other labs...current list of National Labs

When the report came out the press said the hack was traced to China... However it could be they used a proxy out of China???? It was also said they only got personal Info about who worked there...

as if they would tell us if the bad guys got something the rest of us wernt supposed to know about?

top topics

join