It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is your child a student or citizen of their school?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Parents have been sticking various versions of "My child is an outstanding student at ..." on their cars for a long time now. Recently, in my town, I have noticed that instead of calling school children "students" on these bumper stickers, they say, "My child is an outstanding citizen at ... elementary school".

Does this seem wrong or disturbing to anyone else? Is this happening anywhere else?

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
i also see alot of combination jr high , high schools being built where i live.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
They are doing that at my kids school.
"good citizen award" and such....
Never really paid it much thought tho.
Hmmm...I'll have to check out what they consider a good citizen is.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
It pretty much means the same as in society. If they turn in a lost item, walk away from a fight,etc.. It's positive re-enforcement.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
It pretty much means the same as in society. If they turn in a lost item, walk away from a fight,etc.. It's positive re-enforcement.

Sounds more like conditioning to me. Why not just call them what they are, people? I would much rather see, "My child is an outstanding individual at ***elementary school."

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
seems like you need to goto school again, those bumper stickers should've came in the form of ribbons, i think retards get the "show off my honor roll student" type stickers..but yeah i guess for the retards who can't get on the honor roll, some schools probably felt bad and payed for Citizenship award bumper stickers..Citizenship is for going to school ON TIME EVERYDAY AND NOT MISSING A DAY...Showing up and doing your duties on time, everyday...sheesh everyone knows that...and the opposite of that is lazy bum.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Holy crap. Good thing they don't have laws against being this so-called "good citizen"! I find something, it's mine. You talk sh�t, we brawl (funnily enough, I usually end up loser. But hey, what did they invent guns and knives for in the first place, huh?)

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Why don't they just have bumper stickers that say:
My son/daughter is GREAT...or Smart...or something mushy. Why do we have to put stipulations on prasing one's child?

Oh wait, I forgot that we are in a zero point society. Must destroy all compitision. Hulk SMASH!!!

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
cit�i�zen ( P ) Pronunciation Key (st-zn)
n.
A person owing loyalty to and entitled by birth or naturalization to the protection of a state or nation.
A resident of a city or town, especially one entitled to vote and enjoy other privileges there.
A civilian.
A native, inhabitant, or denizen of a particular place: �We have learned to be citizens of the world, members of the human community� (Franklin D. Roosevelt).

It's just people being proud of their kids. I don't find it particularly disturbing. In fact, many school's refer to a student's conduct grade as 'citizenship'. It basically means the same thing.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   

seems like you need to goto school again, those bumper stickers should've came in the form of ribbons, i think retards get the "show off my honor roll student" type stickers..but yeah i guess for the retards who can't get on the honor roll, some schools probably felt bad and payed for Citizenship award bumper stickers..Citizenship is for going to school ON TIME EVERYDAY AND NOT MISSING A DAY...Showing up and doing your duties on time, everyday...sheesh everyone knows that...and the opposite of that is lazy bum.

boombye

What exactally are you tring to say here ?????

And have you ever heard of a school budget ???

Because my daughter IS on the Honor role, and she IS NOT a retard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Maybe it's just me, but 'student' sounds like someone that attends the school to learn. They make friends, do after-school activities and other stuff.

'Citizen' sounds like they owe more loyalty to the school, they are forming for than a 'partnership' (for lack of a better word I can't think of right now), more like they are forming a side-line family. Like they are breaking more apart from their own.

IT'S A LIBERAL PROPAGANDA DEVICE, I TELL YOU!!!!!

So, sorry! Don't know where that came from!

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
It gives them ownership in their school. As for the conditioning thing, if you only punish for bad behavior, and not reward good, kids are only get half the message. That equals why try?

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   

It gives them ownership in their school. As for the conditioning thing, if you only punish for bad behavior, and not reward good, kids are only get half the message. That equals why try?

I never said the kids shouln't be recognized...I saidthey should be recognized for their achievements as individuals, not as citizens of a state institution.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Do you consider youself a citizen of your country? I do. I consider my kids to be as well. I guess I'm just not getting the problem with the word.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
okay you guys lost it

no your daughter isn't a retard, but im trying to say that some parents lucky enough to show off the fact that their kid is on the honor roll will put these bumper stickers on their car..now i know of no City run school in the states that pays for these individual bumper stickers or buys them in bulk at all..Only suburban schools care enough, but to make a sticker not for honor roll but for citizenship is pathetic..that was like the worst award to get besides the one for always showing up on time, actually the citizenship one is for helping out around school, like when they have a student in charge of cleaning the desks, and one who sweeps, one who does the chalk board, and so on..

just saying its nothing to worry about, you're kids learn how to be citizens from our politicians anyways.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Ok...I see...

i think retards get the "show off my honor roll student" type stickers..

That part just rubbed me the wrong way...

She's in a county school ( a very small part the school budget pays for them ), the ones she gets are the "I'm a terrific kid" and "I'm on the honor roll" awards/bumper stickers...

But I guess in the case of this thread it is mainly how people interpret the word "citizen" I think of it as the same as intrepid, a citizen of the country...

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I think its stupid. I dont get why parents see the need to promote their children's minor shcolastic achievements in their car, or what shcool they go to. Its tacky.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
The concept of what they are doing is sound. I now see what the problem is, Why do parents need a sticker? Right! Are they so frustrated or busy? Sorry, didn't get it before because the idea works. Also Ocelot I had a feeling you knew Lois Lane.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I think its stupid. I dont get why parents see the need to promote their children's minor shcolastic achievements in their car, or what shcool they go to. Its tacky.

I don't know if you're a parent, but I am...

It's like this, your child comes home very proud of this achievement, and says " Daddy (or Mommy) look at what I did, can we put it on the car ?

Now, what are you going to say...

" No it's too tacky, and I'm not going to put it on my car "

This will show your child that you don't care for the child's achievement, just how it looks on the car...

Or will you say

" Sure honey, lets go put it on now ( or later ) "

This shows that you too are proud of your child's achievement, and it does show them that you are proud of what they do...

No matter how minor...

[Edited on 6-2-2004 by Yoda]

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   

If they want to do that, then thats their choice. Whose to decide whats tacky and whats not?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join