It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill to increase penalties for piracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Bill to increase penalties for piracy

torrentfreak.com

According to a group of lawmakers, 10 years in prison and a $500,000 fine is not a severe enough sentence for copyright infringement in the US. So, a new bill is proposed to strengthen civil and criminal intellectual property laws and increase penalties for offenders.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
What the hell is justice? You steal a movie and you face 10 years in prison and a $500,000 fine, AND THAT'S NOT ENOUGH?

A woman in Oregon was fined $220,000 for sharing 38 songs on a peer to peer network. How is that justice? Rapists, murderers... etc get smaller sentences.

California's punishment regarding Grand Theft (caselaw.lp.findlaw.com... ...
489. Grand theft is punishable as follows:
"(a) When the grand theft involves the theft of a firearm, by
imprisonment in the state prison for 16 months, 2, or 3 years.
(b) In all other cases, by imprisonment in a county jail not
exceeding one year or in the state prison."

Again, how is this justice? It is sad when the justice system is so skewed as to protect the wealthy at the cost of destroying the lives.

10 years in prison or 1/2 a million dollar fine would effectively end the life of anyone convicted. I hope these greedy dirtbags can sleep at night knowing the damage that they wish to inflict on people.

Also, I think that Piracy is a crime, but it should be kept in perspective. I don't think someones life should be destroyed for sharing music or downloading a movie.

torrentfreak.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
Also, I think that Piracy is a crime, but it should be kept in perspective. I don't think someones life should be destroyed for sharing music or downloading a movie.

Agreed! The new 'punishment' is incredibly harsh - and ridiculous. I have to wonder if the RIAA or some other group isn't stuffing a few congressional pockets.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Its all about the money.

Unfortunately, it always WILL be about the money.

I think that about 90% ( just pulling that out of my *ss, so for the sake of all thats holy, don't ask for proof ) of the laws that get pass, 'How much money can be made' is at the forefront.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DCFusion

From the blog:

"Not surprisingly, some of the supporters of the bill, such as Howard Berman, received thousands of dollars in campaign donations from the music and the movie industry. Yes, these anti-piracy politicians are funded by the MPAA and the RIAA

A government for the corporations, run by the corporations.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Good find KH.

I wonder if this whole thing can be turned around on them?

Say a countersuit for invasion of privacy and/or digital crimes of a malicious nature (the RIAA and MPAA spreading bogus files that are loaded with viruses and spyware).

Jasn

EDIT TO ADD: Possibly entrapment as well, since they are posting the files out their themselves in order to "track" pirates.

[edit on 8-12-2007 by SimiusDei]

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SimiusDei

Well, I am pretty sure they have been caught red handed with the sharing fake files... etc. It appears that they are above the law. Not to mention that they have a legal army to protect themselves from any type of legal disaster they may incur while actively trying to extort college students and other people not able to pay for any sort of defense.

They are a bunch of thugs.

new topics

top topics

join