It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10-year-old boy convicted of assault

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Looks like childhood is gone.

Link to KENS 5 in San Antonio

A concerned mother is speaking out after her 10-year-old boy was arrested, taken to a juvenile detention center and later convicted, all because of a football game that got out of hand.

Carlos says he and his 8-year-old brother were playing football, but that game ended after he tackled another 9-year-old boy. That boy claims he was beaten up, a story supported by another 10-year-old.

"A 9-year-old and a 10-year-old were present, and those were the two eyewitnesses that were needed, and I said, 'You didn't even ask my children what happened,' and he said, 'I didn't need to ask your children what happened.'"

He says during that time he was read his rights but that he didn't understand what they meant. His mom asked authorities why she wasn't present.

"They said that he had been read his rights and that he understood what his rights were," Yvette said. "And he signed that he understood them, and I thought that was the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Adults don't understand their civil rights, how is a 10-year-old going to understand them?"

It is hard to believe this happens but with the law changes due to the 'war on terror' I guess it should be no surprise.

I am wondering if others thinks this was over reaction or was this boy's actions wrong.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Thats not good at all, kids always fight when playing sports, it comes with the game, they get too excited and emotions flare.
Next day their best friends again.

But the details are vauge on this story, did they gang beat him or something?

[edit on 7-12-2007 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
May be the moral is that when to police come to take your child be sure they have an arrest warrant. Just taking a child from his house seems wrong. What does say for anyone accused of anything?

Edit: No mention of gangs in the article or on the TV news. Just kids playing football. It seems one boy feels he's mistreated and his friend backs him up. The accused's friends get no say on his behalf. Just seems like the system when a bit haywire in this case. This whole thing makes me wonder where the country is headed.

[edit on 12/7/2007 by roadgravel]

new topics

join