It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

tipping your waitress

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

You're going to think I'm crazy (again). Generally a pizza comes out to 18.05 for me. If it's raining, I give them 30, if it's not raining I give them 28.05. Not expected of course, but I guarantee you if the delivery guy has 3 different spots to be delivered to, I'll be first, and have fresh hot pizza.

Hey's to MajorMalfunction! Been missin ya! *hugs*

As far as my hair stylist goes, generally between 15 and 20 dollar tips, and as it goes with furniture deliver, it depends on what the furniture is. Generally I tip well, especially if it's a heavier piece going up my stairs. Also if it's more expensive, yes I do tip more, because they are being careful and I'd rather tip more and not have any nicks on my furniture.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

you're right.....i think you are to the point where you are just tossing money away....each is own i guess.

$10 for the pizza guy.....no friggin way....

even if i am third in line, it will still be hot and i have a microwave....

[edit on 10-12-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

Microwaved pizza?

I perish the thought.

I like to tip, money makes my world go round, and the more I reinvest, the more that comes back to me. As I have said, this is a service industry city, and I like being part of that loop.

I don't see it as throwing money away, I like doing it. It's not as if I am going without anything in the name of tipping.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I used to live in NYC, where the standard tip was 20%, and that was some years ago. 15% would have been an insult. I still tip at least 20%, and am surprised the rate hasn't gone up; the price of everything else has.

I have been a server and I know how hard it is. Contrary to popular belief, a lot of people can't do that kind of work. There were people quitting or being fired all the time where I worked. One of the things I really hated was when the manager would give each server more tables than one person could handle when it was really busy. You'd end up running your feet off and getting poor tips because you couldn't give each table the time and attention it needed. Mediocre service is not always the waitstaff's fault.

Even though I understand how hard it is and how much good-will a tip gets, I will tip less for truly unsatisfactory service (some people just cannot ever be pleased) and sometimes nothing if it's really poor. I also know what I can reasonably expect from a server.

I know it seems like a lot to some people, but I still give 20% most of the time. As others have already pointed out it earns a great deal of good will and good service if you go back to the same restaurant. In fact, if you're a poor tipper it's probably safer to change restaurants frequently--you will get a reputation among the servers. What goes around comes around.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join