It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saturns 'UFO's' may just be moons.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Saturns 'UFO's' may just be moons.

news.aol.com

Scientists think they may have solved the mystery of the bizarre flying-saucer-shaped moons embedded in Saturn's planetary rings.
Observations by NASA's Cassini spacecraft revealed the Saturnian moons Atlas and Pan, each roughly 12 miles from pole to pole, have massive ridges bulging from their equators some 3.7 to 6.5 miles high, giving them the flying-saucer appearance.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Mike Singhs popular thread about Cassini finding UFOS in saturns rings may possibly be 'debunked' by scientists. The article states that the objects are actually moons of saturn. Although in Mike Singhs thread the objects are the size of Earth, this article describes them as only a few miles long.

news.aol.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by hikix

Really, you think so? Believers will point out that this 'study was done by NASA' and therefore bunk.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

They'd rather believe that an object the size of Earth is 'hiding' in Saturn's rings while we can easily find these proto-moons only 12 miles wide.

The article is very interesting, I wonder if these moons will eventually get drawn into Saturn as they gain mass?

apc

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   
If their orbit does begin to fail would they not obliterate the rings as they progressively fall closer and closer to the planet?

It's rather funny to me that these moons have drawn out the extremes from two camps. One side says they're gigantic UFOs hanging around in Saturn's rings for no apparent reason, and the other side is represented by the first comment response to that article. Sweet Jesus Joseph Mary Mother of God where do these people come from? How can anyone take a report about some moons and turn it into a "if you don't believe in God and his son Jesus you're going to Hell!" ?!?!

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc
How can anyone take a report about some moons and turn it into a "if you don't believe in God and his son Jesus you're going to Hell!" ?!?!

Beats me, but it's like that. Anyway, on the issue of whether or not this moon will eventually crash into Saturn -- personally I don't think so. Our own moon is drifting away from us, "stealing" some of the planet's angular momentum (which slow down the rotation) and getting a 'boost' in it's orbital path. I would imagine the same process is occurring with Saturn and her moon(lets).

new topics

top topics

join