It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FB-22 up for foreign sale

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   
As it seems likely that the FB-22 will be produced for the interim bomber. Is there any chance that it will be available for foreign nations to buy. Im thinking that the UK could go for some to replace the Tornado in the long range strike role.

FB-22 concept

Jensy

[edit on 7/12/07 by jensy]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   
got any links at all about the FB-23?

and the FOAS will replace the tornado - which is very much looking like a UAV at this time.

[edit on 7/12/07 by Harlequin]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Whoops, i meant FB-22, just woke up with a big hangover, miracle i didnt put sopwith camel...

Jensy

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Well i think there really is a need for a long range not too expensive strike plane. JSF isnt one really and the B2 and similair are too expensive and large.

I can see one good design selling well. Australia, uk would be really interested.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The F-22 isn't up for export, so why would a bomber variant be?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I think he meant FB-23 Shattered.

The FOAS was actually cancelled as a programme some time ago and the current studies are said to be unrelated, even though exactly the same UCAV+Typhoon type solution as we are considering now was also part of the FOAS study. Go figure, as they say.

In fact a YF-23 bomber development was also considered for FOAS, although it was not the actual FB-23 that has since been revealed, but a different proposal. Here is an excellent model of the proposed design, which is not mine, though I wish it was.

It was revealed in the UK by a now defunct firm called Avpro, which was more of a concept art company than anything, however I have seen genuine patent drawings for the design too so I wonder if this was perhaps a stepping stone between the YF-23 and the FB-23?

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
wow! kinda looks like a cross between the SU-32 and the YF-23 (with F-18 LERX)

nice find waynos!

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Actually, reminds me more of the F-111 Aardvark.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
i can see what you mean - the front end does have F111 overtones to it but the fixed wing isn`t really in keeping with the swing wing F111

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Well duh it's merge of a YF-23, but I meant instead of it being a fullback and a Blackwidow, it's an Aardvark and Blackwidow.

Shattered OUT...

[edit on 9-12-2007 by ShatteredSkies]

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
heck! tried to find pics of both the F-111 and the SU-32 so that i'd have some basis for comparison but its a toss-up between the two. whatever, just wanna say that whichever plane the nose of that model posted by waynos is based from, it looks good on the YF-23 overall frame.

(that hump behind the cockpit is whats bugging me)

note the arrangement of the glass panels/windows in the cockpit

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ShatteredSkies

aye the fullback`s nose is much `flatter` than the round of the pig

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
The FOAS was actually cancelled as a programme some time ago

You being to worry if within 30 years the will consist of a few Typoons, some Hawks and probably one Nimrod.....

What is going to replace the Tornado, seriously the F-35 could never do it.

Jensy

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
The favoured option among the domestic industry is in the form of a type of UCAV, possibly evolved from Taranis, operating in conjunction with a 'flight leader' version of the Typhoon T1 two seater on a roughly four-to-one basis. To this end simulated trials have already been carried out with one aircraft controlling up to four UCAV's and of course Taranis is heading towards its first flight.

This being Britain though don't be surprised to see a 'scrap-everything-and-buy-something-American' solution to emerge, even though the UCAV soluition is progressing very well.

Remember, we had three complete TSR.2's plus the first 40 actually in production we we scrapped that for the much inferior F-111 and then took another 17 Years ourselves to develop the also inferior Tornado, this is known as 'British Defence Policy'.

To quote Sir Humphrey Appleby - "British defence strategy is not designed to make the Russians think we are defended, of course it isn't, they already know we aren't. Its designed to make the British think we are defended"

new topics

top topics

join