It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My attempt at CPU contribution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Well, my plan was to add 24 Intel Celeron 2GHz computers to my network, all crunching SETI for the ATS team, but I ran into a snag. I have 12 connected and running but more than that pulls too much juice for the circuit in the room I have them in. Found that out the hard way -oops! Sorry co-workers! Glad we all have uninterruptable power supplies.

The rather wimpy CPUs process the 2 WUs I have running simultaneous on each in about 4 hours. That, with the rest of the PCs already set up to crunch, should put me well into the 100+ units a day. If I can figure out how to get more power (sounds a bit like Kirk yelling at Scotty, eh?) I'll get the rest online and help push us up the User ladder.

Am I obsessed with SETI? That's a strong word. Maybe a little...

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Hi Spectre!!

All very fine indeed - I've noticed how you're rushing up the board!! Fantastic achievemnt Sir!!

I don't know how to overcome your electricity/ power problem - it's not a problem I have for sure, with only two machines running SETI@home!! Domestic power supply in UK is at 13 amps/ 240 volts, so you can run up to about 3 kW's of devices off one "socket". Of course, we also have "power" sockets (say for electric cookers/ ovens) of 30 amps, so you're effectively limited to around 7.2kW.

Spectre, I guess you'll have to get you own generator to keep those computers satisfied!!

Thanx again - remember to wave nicely when you storm past Sinchron and Bob88!!

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 03:18 AM
link   
100 units a day! wow thats going above and beyond the call of duty! well done. I can manage 6 a day when my PC is running.

new topics

join