It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

C.I.A. Destroyed 2 Tapes Showing Interrogations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   

C.I.A. Destroyed 2 Tapes Showing Interrogations

www.nytimes.com

WASHINGTON, Dec. 6 — The Central Intelligence Agency in 2005 destroyed at least two videotapes documenting the interrogation of two Qaeda operatives in the agency’s custody, a step it took in the midst of Congressional and legal scrutiny about its secret detention program, according to current and former government officials.
In a statement to employees on Thursday, Gen. Michael V. Hayden, the C.I.A. director, said that the decision to destroy the tapes was made “within the C.I.A.” and that they were destroyed to protect the safety of undercover officers and because they no longer had intelligence value.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Were laws broken here? Can their action be justified in this case?

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Here's another link: news.bbc.co.uk...

The CIA acknowledges that these early interrogations were harsh, but Mr Hayden says that the CIA's internal watchdogs saw the tapes in 2003 and verified that the techniques used were legal.

But Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, said the tapes' destruction was troubling:

"The damage is compounded when such actions are hidden away from accountability," he said.

The American Civil Liberties Union has accused the agency of showing an utter disregard for the law.

The CIA's failure to make the tapes available to a federal court hearing the case of the terror suspect Zacarias Moussaoui or to the 9/11 commission could amount to obstruction of justice, according to the New York Times.

After the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the US, President George W Bush authorised the use of "harsh techniques" in the interrogation of suspected terrorist.

This is the clincher for me:

The videos were, according to the New York Times, wiped in 2005, at the time the agency was being scrutinised about its secret detention programme.

I wonder what was on the tapes that they didn't want to be revealed - after all, they only destroyed two tapes out of possibly hundreds. Hardly in the name of security!

[edit on 6-12-2007 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I wonder if the tapes had information that pertained to Zacarias Moussaoui and might possibly exonerate him?

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
flagged just to try and get this up into the actual current news section... I hope I am not the only person question the intentional destruction of the tapes... my jaw dropped when it popped up on my Igoogle CNN link...

Good find JSO...
I was hoping I would post it first...

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

They actually expect us to believe this?

That theyve only destroyed 2?
That the tactics employed are 'legitimate'

If doing it to hide the interrogators identification.. why not black them out?
Mute them? why not just film it at an agle there heads arent captured?
why would you only delete TWO Tapes, when every one has an interrogator?

Further more UNDENIABLE proof that this governemnt is sending the United states into Facism!

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Re-read what the article says. It says at least two dealing the interrogation of specific suspects were wiped. No where in the article does it state that only two tapes were destroyed, or that was the only time in the history of the CIA or in the interrogation of al'Qaeda suspects that this has occured.

There are many reasons why they would choose to wipe the tapes, and not only to protect the identities of the interrogators. The tapes would show what interrogation techniques the CIA uses, which could help enemies (be they terrorists or otherwise) train to better resist these techniques. It would also reveal to enemies what type of information the CIA is looking for in these interrogations, letting our enemies know what knowledge we have of them and their operations.

I'm glad they destroyed the tapes. They were a threat to national security; a Congressman seeking to make a name for himself, or an organization that would be opposed to anything the CIA does, would be all too happy to release these tapes, in order to embarass the CIA or the White House (be it current, future or past administrations), national security be damned.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

someone beat ya to it

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
We have all kinds of procedures for safeguarding national security secrets and if these tapes had been required for use as evidence, it would be to a closed court or a closed congressional committee. You don't trust them, but you trust the CIA? There are transcripts and other records of the interrogations so your argument is just ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Destroy the evidence natch. Now we can't prosecute.
What will it be, the tape destroyer will be guilty for all of 9/11/01.

The reason for torture in the first place:

Congress, CIA, Bush.. wants any one but THEM to fess up to 9/11/01.

Thats why they NEED torture.

Evidently.

Is not this perfectly clear why they torture, they are guilty ones and need
to label a 'guilty' person IN THE MEDIA to cover their guilt.

Is not this obvious, or just an alternate view.

[edit on 12/7/2007 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
We have all kinds of procedures for safeguarding national security secrets and if these tapes had been required for use as evidence, it would be to a closed court or a closed congressional committee. You don't trust them, but you trust the CIA? There are transcripts and other records of the interrogations so your argument is just ridiculous.

At the risk of recieving accusations of "You're brainwashed!!!111" or "You're not thinking for yourself!!!!" or some other ridiculous statement, given the choice between a grandstanding senator who's chief concern is the next election or a CIA agent doing their best to defend the nation...well...just take a guess who I'm going to choose.

new topics

top topics

join