It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rude, Crude & Socially Unexceptable

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Have you ever heard Rude, Crude & Socially Unexceptable, let me tell you what it means to me.

When I first started working in other countries I was wet behind the ears to the world stage but I loved every bit of it, I have been to so many places that now in my older years it seems like just snapshots in a previous life.

My first work assignment was obviously as you all know by now Egypt and in those days 1984-1990 we as Americans were respected and walked with our heads held high, fantastic life and career, we had the world by the b--ls and we made everyone happy.

Traveling into that country at that time and not be a tourist meant something to all that crossed our path. I socialized with many foreigners of many countries and life was great. I hung out at the BCA club that was set up in foreign lands by the UK and what a fantastic place it was to hang out there, everyone was welcome, thanks UK.

One time in particular I met my usual group of foreigners 2 English Blokes, 1 German, 1 Greek & a Frenchman plus some Egyptian businessmen, we were like brothers in fact, we called our little group the Crocodopolis Club because we all lived in the same hotel, except the Egyptians. We were crocodiles living in Heliopolis a Cairo suburb, we were inseparable and for years we planned our vacations around the same times just to be able to visit each others countries, what a life this was.

Well this one time in particular my Welsh friend whom I Idolized as a father figure and if he said jump I said how high, my best friend. We were at the BCA club and in front of our usual gang he stood up and gave a toast and said to me, do you know what we (meaning the world) think of Americans, they are Rude Crude, & Socially Unexceptable, we all laughed and remember I was wet behind the ears, no problem they were a great group of guys and this was 20 years ago.

Well hanging out with this great bunch of guys had its rewards, I have jogged on Mount Olympus at the first Olympic stadium and visited so many ancient sites I am still amazed. I have been all through the UK, many places in Germany and all over Egypt living as a local in all these countries 15 in all, I would fly using my frequent flyer miles, everything was free. They visited me in America and the same applied.

What a life I had with my best friends, well time passed then the Gulf war then Iraq war and they say time heals all wounds, right. My friends started dropping like flies out of my life, why? We were all the same sort of free spirit and we allowed nothing to come between us no matter where we were, wrong, the world does not want our Democracy.

The wars America led us into destroyed my free spirited life with my worldly friends, no longer did I feel comfortable in any crowd, wherever I went because when I entered into the room I had to go into defensive posture and every time it was the same, always defending Americas interests and our way of doing business in the rest of the world, why the wars, everyone was happy in their own countries and I was happy to have them as friends.

I have lost touch with all my friends and it really bothers me that I had nothing to do with the state of the world affairs, but I had to pay, we have all paid dearly for the wars. Now in Egypt it's the Russians and the Chinese enjoying the free spirited life style we Americans enjoyed for so long, why?

So, I guess the meaning to the world is that Americans are Rude, Crude & Socially Unexceptable, can you blame the world for labeling us this, I was labeled over 20 years ago, now what does the world think of us, I lost my cherished friends because of American Politics in relation to the World in the name of Democracy.

Please before it's to late, 2012 is coming, lets try to get back to the way it was, lets go backwards in time, I need my friends back. Has any of you American world travelers ever experienced the same, let me hear your stories.

Now I'm sad at the thought, gwhintl

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by gwhint

Very poignant. I know what you are saying. I have also traveled quite a bit: China, Africa, Asia. Many of these places don't like America very much.

But I have consistently found that people will very easily forgive visitors for the indiscretions of their respective governments. When someone says something critical of the USA, I just smile and nod, and either agree or change the subject.

My rule when meeting a foreigner on their own turf: I never criticize their country at all (not even slightly), and never furnish (even a mild) defense of USA misbehaviors or foolishness.

I have found this always works! Some of my fellow citizens may think that I am being cowardly by not always springing to the defense of my homeland, the USA, but I figure that human psychology doesn't provide too many options here.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Buck Division

Thanks and you and I are alike when it comes to our reactions in front of foreigners from wherever, I also take the low road but to lose cherished friends makes no sense and for what our form of bullying the world. It's a shame Abu Ghraib in Iraq happened, because if we were up to our necks in alligators, well this event ended our credability, if there was any. gwhint

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I would suggest that if your "friends" judge you by your nationality they're shallow and not really your friends at all. It's discrimination by definition and is no different from them deciding to distance themselves from you because you're black or a mormon.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Yes you have to be careful or educate yourselves before going anywhere!

I had to look after some Japanese People re work and when I crossed the road with them, I had to hold their hand, because that is what they do.

felt really weird but nice, yanno?

either way, if you really respect another you will educate yourself on their culture!

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Thanks to your responses and it does show I am not alone with this feeling of abandonment from my friends and you know I would love to hear from all the foreigners outside of America on ATS and did their feelings change towards Americans as well, maybe its just me feeling a little guilty of having to defend the American politics, who knows, but it has been a real sacrifice to lose such cherished friends. gwhint

ps: great signature Thurisaz

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I had a rather strange conversation that relates very much to what you write about.

There was a smell coming from the gents toilets - had been for days.

When we found the source was actually the ladies we stood outside and mocked the female race between ourselves (having a laugh!). Only the two of us were present.

Around the corner comes one of our associates from the USA - a female!

So I proclaim 'It's all your fault!!!' in jest.

Obviously - she had no idea what she was being blamed for....

The reply came - after a pause 'what - you mean americans?'

I was stunned - had nothing to say.

I will apologise for not saying anything in response to her reply tomorrow....

Scott

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by spdynamics

Thanks spdynamics and you get the point we americans are on the defense without the thought as to the subject matter, is this a form of brainwashing and if it is by who, maybe our gov does not want us anywhere else at this time, it seems as though the world is changing and we are being asked to get off the boat, right. Please go tell her for her own sanity and by the way where are you, gwhint

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I never make apologies.
For my-self, or my Country.

When politics come up, I
smile and say " I'm not in
politics, I'm here for fun".

Never had a problem.

I do know that in the last 10
years or so, it has become more
"suffocating", with people.

Anyway,
Lex

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I would suggest staying focused on the things about America that you still love, the things about America that need to be reinstated (like the Constitution), and not being ashamed to speak your own disapproval of the way America is headed.

The best thing is to keep it general though. Discussing politics or religion too much isn't even a good idea at the Thanksgiving table with family.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Thanks jackinthebox for your recommendations and you are so right with what Americans should be concentrating on but how can we stand up and be heard when we are a nobody to the NWO.
How long are we going to have to face the world with feelings of some sort of failure to mankind, trying to make little Americas all over the world with our system of Democracy, dont get me wrong I love America and my roots go back to the founding fathers first colonies but how can we get back to some sort of normalcy with the world accepting us for what we truely are, fun loving good hearted people and yet what makes America, all the peoples of the world, right, but for now lay low and try to make peace on an individual basis. gwhint

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
(Reply key not working:flame

Reply to gwhint:

I can trace my roots in the New World back to the first settlers of the Hudson Valley in New York State, formerly New Amsterdam. My great-grandmother traded in her Dutch surname, which is the same as a major local roadway, when she married my great grandfather.

I have another great-grandmother who said we are of some relation to Henry Hudson himself, but aparrently this was "hush hush" because Henry was not well liked.

I can trace lines back to low-level soldiers of the Revolution, but not the Civil War for some reason. Both of my grandfathers were decorated front-line combatants in WWII. My brother has done two tours in the sandbox.

All of that said, I hate the direction America is headed. I love what this country was and is still supposed to be. In fact, there is still a lot to love about this country, but I fear we are going to lose it all. All the good that is left. All because of the greed of the manipulators who have seized control of this country. I am not an international traveler, but I certainly would not be shy to share my opinion with foreigners.

I seriously wonder if America as we know it actually exists anywhere but in our minds. Are we in love with a corpse?

I'm trying to pull together a fully coherent theory, but I believe our government has actually been taken over by clandestine operators after a very public coup d'etat in Dealy Plaza. JFK was not killed by the Mafia, the Communists, CIA, or any other common culprit of conspiracy theory. Even if Oswald fired the shots, he was not acting alone. The "money-changers" killed JFK. The Fed.

Please visit JFK killed for $5 billion ?

Sorry if I went a bit off-topic with my tantrum there, but I think it helps with the question of "how could this happen?" Something needs to be done, and I think people in other countries should know that most real Americans feel that way, we just don't know what to do.

[edit on 12/8/0707 by jackinthebox]

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Hey it's great to know a fellow ancient roots kind of a guy, mine are very similar with even forefathers in the French & Indian war, in fact both my fathers line and mothers line go back to the 1600's, alot of history. It would be interesting to know the roots of all the members, whether new or old, dont you think, just maybe we could find our own NWO with common ties, it doesnt have to be ET or even political but something is gathering us, I can feel it, so maybe we need to pursue this a little further, I have noticed in my postings there are some really good members with alot of good things to say so lets vote them in, your not so bad your self, ATS/NWO, it sounds like a good world wrestling match dont you think.
I have spoken more on me and my episodes here on ATS more so than in any socials gathering in my life, including to my past wives, ha, but then for so many years I was trained to keep my mouth shut, I'm just tired of the thought and now maybe its coming out time, besides the way I see it is for those in charge please, " Take me To Your Leader" who is it, gwhint

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Wow GwHint your all over the place...You dont have your friends anymore and it's America's fault??? Cry me a River, Build a Bridge, and Get over it...If your having to defend your American citizenship your not among friends, and even talking politics with family will cause some problems...I have traveled extensively and always off the beaten path, better to enjoy the country/culture your visiting which is the whole point of a vacation ehh? I came to visit you, not hang out with 20 other Americans...While it's always wise, and a also a big part of the traveling experence, to follow local customs, dont forget that there are some who will bash the USA and expect YOU to follow their customs while in-country, while there are many who are trying to get here to start a new FREE life where everyone can do pretty much as they please without being compeled to conform...

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by gwhint

You described your "former" life so vividly that I really do feel for you...
I've lived in countries around the world myself, so I know there is nothing quite as rewarding as that. (Although you had it way better than I had! I would be jealous, if I were the jealous type...
)

And, although I am not an American, I can also feel for the sense of loss you are experiencing. It is a tragedy, really.

Sorry: a totally irrelevant post, but just had to say it... ; )

[edit on 11-12-2007 by Vanitas]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I believe a good portion of Americans can willingly admit that our military and our administration are out of control. I would have no problem admitting that the people running my country are doing terrible things and that there is no excuse, not even patriotism, that could make me defend them.

I'm a patriot for the beautiful scenery, the good people (where I can find them) etc. But as a nation, Americas bad reputation is entirely at the fault of our administration and our apathetic populace.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Hi gwhint,

Other people's perceptions are not your problem, but their's and are a reflection of that individual!

As to your tale from your travelling-days, I had a similar experience, but here in the UK. A fair few years ago, I lived down-south and became good mates with a USAF airman who was stationed at the nearby base.

As we became closer friends and accepted amongst his, I would go drinking with them at the bar on base, and as I was the youngest of the 'gang' and a British civvy, would be the one getting picked-on but in a fun 'kid-brother' kind of way for my 'underdog Britishness'. I was even told that if I ever wanted to sign-up to join the airforce that they would all sponsor my application...I was gobsmacked!

However, away from my friends and on civvy-street, I was the one that became the pariah amongst my now-former British friends...from downright insults of 'alliegence' to being beaten up (along with my mate) for being a "f'g yank". As far as I was concerned, these guys were friends first and foremost, and military/foreign politics had no part to play, but others couldn't see beyond that.

As for the 'rude, crude and socially unacceptable'? not at all! There are many ignorant bigots in every culture and society, but the americans I became friends with, they were a thorougly good bunch and damn good friends

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I have been lucky in that fact that my friends in other countries do not look at the fact I am american (well, I have dual citizenship since I was born in Germany but my parents are american).

Every single one of them will joke with me about america's actions, but they all know that it is the administration, not I, that does the things that other countries dislike.

I suppose I would have to agree with the statement made by others that if they were your true friends, then they would not judge you by what the country does. The truly enlightened understand that not every american agrees with the policies of the administration.

VV

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwhint
when I entered into the room I had to go into defensive posture and every time it was the same, always defending Americas interests and our way of doing business in the rest of the world, why the wars, everyone was happy in their own countries and I was happy to have them as friends.

I can relate! Many of my friends are from outside the US, however I don't have the same problem as you. In fact, I probably bitch more about politics than any of my international friends do, at least enough to make it clear I won't be defending our government / culture / etc. anytime soon. And I'm a veteran!

You can tell them all, that the good news is that 99.999% of the "rude, crude and socially unacceptable" americans will never leave their couch, let alone the country. Chances are, americans abroad are not your typical walmart-shopping, suv-driving, american-idol watching zombies that so many people seem to picture us as.

[edit on 11-12-2007 by scientist]

new topics

top topics

join