It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Hostile Takeover by rogue members !

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Is there a conspiracy among us ? I have noticed several times recently that a few members of ATS have seemingly followed other members and have caused the shutdown of their thread posts, for no other reason than because they do not have views that agree with that member. I could name names, but I won't. It seems they are using the mods to do their bidding. I want to root this out here and now and see how deep this goes. Has anyone else seen this going on? If so, what can be done to stop it? If one or two people complain and demand a thread be shut down, should the mods at least ask if others want the thread to continue, and if so, let free thought rule and let the complainers move on to other threads.

I would like to add that the enemy of free thought and ideas is instituted silence, so, this thread may only have a lifespan of minuttes, hours, or a day at most. But give me your thoughts on this. It could be serious.

--------------------------------
Mod Edit - title spelling

[edit on 7/12/07 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Fromabove: I think I have seen a little of what your talking about. Not much you can do about it though. The people dont elect mods, The people dont have a trial by jury. I think it would be cool if we could govern ourselves but thats not how it is. I've been ghosting around here for over a year and its changed alot! Alot of serious reasearch goes on here but alot has become this sort of counter culture tabloid. I just hope these phoney people fade away in time cause I really do love this website.

Good thread Bro! call it like you see it!

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

I have not seen what you are talking about in the least. Any thread I have seen shut down has been done so for good reason. The only threads I have seen closed are the ones made by people with wild claims that have no proof, evidence, or backup. I think the Moderators are doing a fantastic job in weeding through some of the garbage people have the nerve to post here!

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Enthralled Fan: May I suggest you read two threads about the girl who saw a UFO and what she later found on her cam. I think you'll see a gang up there. The one posted by a mamber, and the other one posted by the girl herself. It was an axe and hachet job by a couple of members who folled to the second thread to have it closed out like the first. Mods should at least consider what others think before they say, "Hey guys ! do you want me to shut it down..?"

I know someone has seen this going on.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
I could name names, but I won't. It seems they are using the mods to do their bidding.
I would like to add that the enemy of free thought and ideas is instituted silence, so, this thread may only have a lifespan of minuttes, hours, or a day at most. But give me your thoughts on this. It could be serious.

So you have no proof of your claim then, your right this thread may not last, and thats not a conspiracy

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Sauron

If you read my last post, I say what threads I saw this on. I didn't name particular names because I don't want to intentionally violate a possible ATS rule. "The mods are watching.." Read the threads and just tell me if you can see how it happened. If I am proven wrong, I will wipe my forehead and continue to enjoy ATS as always.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Enthralled Fan: The second thread was called " I am the girl who found something on the camara."

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   
It sounds to me like there is something going on in the background that you are not aware of. In the time I have been a member here, I have seen that if a thread is deleted there is a legitimate reason for doing so, and that us normal members may not always be privy to why that is. Sometimes it is a member that is using a false account to hoax, or using two accounts to talk to themselves and make a drama event. It can also be a previously banned member using a new account to create a hoax or drama event. The admins here can check IP’s, U2U’s and a lot of other information behind the scenes to make those determinations. I really don’t see where there is a group here that can effect the mods decisions unless the thread contains an obvious T&C violation which is being reported to them by multiple members.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I'll take the opposite view-the problem is those who are making these bad posts. If anything destroys ATS from within, it will be those who make outrageous claims who cannot back them up. If we are not vigilant, before much longer, we'll be like the Weekly World News...100% BS 24/7/365. The Weekly World News is now out of business.

Oh, and Palasheaa, stop pimping your thread. Disgusting.

[edit on 6-12-2007 by Jim_Kraken]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Rouge members? I don't think we have any rouge members. Rogue members, maybe, but no rouge members.

Everybody who's rouge, raise your hand.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by 123143
Rouge members? I don't think we have any rouge members. Rogue members, maybe, but no rouge members.

I am rouge! ( Especially if I've been in the Sun too long. . . )

2PacSade-

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Thankyou for your explaination of this matter. Your response satisfies my question probably as best it could be answered. If anyone else wants to add to this thread they may do so. I do wish however that the mods would be patient enough to enquire if some of us want a thread to continue. I do understand that if people are just doing the "drama" thing, it would be a just cause.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
One last thing, I would like it if some of the mods could speak on this issue and give some of their wisdom on when a thread needs to end and why. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
If you do a search you may find many threads making the same claims. I'm sure any questions have been answered by Mods many times. The Mod's here do an excellent job. A lot of people get a little too paranoid when they first start reading through this stuff and that is understandable. It takes a bit to realize that the truth is not waiting to reveal itself. It is hidden in little tidbits here and there in posts. You have to be Intellectually Honest with yourself and know that many if not most theories here are wrong or they are hysterical reactions. There are even obvious instances of mental illness being played out in threads. The Mod's job is subjective at best and they have to consider everything including keeping ATS's standards high by not allowing silly or crazy threads like other Boards.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
Is there a conspiracy among us ?

I've been around a lot of sites and I have to say that the mods on ATS are pretty reluctant when it comes to closing threads and interfering with the board members discussions. I've seen a lot of users calling out for it though, calling for bans and threads to be closed and such and I've never seen action taken for those calling for it. If a thread is obviously out of hand it will be closed, take a look at the ones that have been closed and ask yourself if there was any benefit in keeping it open.

Mods on internet sites are chosen for their mature and patient attitudes. And I'm sure that the mods of this site are no different to most of the mods you encounter on the net. Of course there are longstanding members here who might be friendly with the mods, that kind of thing can't be avoided, but corruption is another thing entirely

You wouldn't believe the amount of rouges on my server (inside joke for warcraft rogues)

[edit on 7-12-2007 by unnamedninja]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Well, I was probably one of those "rouge" people who decided to take the board's motto "DENY IGNORANCE" and apply it to both threads. Im not the only one.

And I never once went and complained to a MOD to have it closed. And I know of a few others who you probably are calling "rogue" and they didnt either.

In fact, I got a warn on that thread - LOL. But it was kind of a silly reason why. LOL

I guess its all about seeing what you want to see....or jumping in and taking a "side".

The "naysayers" on those threads only saught out to deny ingornace and provided evidence of their stance.

I have to also say....the MODS gave the OP(s) much fairness. I cant believe anyone would see differently. And from what I have seen. They do NOT take closing threads lightly.

So,um yeah.....next complaint....

[edit on 7-12-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
It sounds to me like there is something going on in the background that you are not aware of. In the time I have been a member here, I have seen that if a thread is deleted there is a legitimate reason for doing so, and that us normal members may not always be privy to why that is. Sometimes it is a member that is using a false account to hoax, or using two accounts to talk to themselves and make a drama event. It can also be a previously banned member using a new account to create a hoax or drama event. The admins here can check IP’s, U2U’s and a lot of other information behind the scenes to make those determinations. I really don’t see where there is a group here that can effect the mods decisions unless the thread contains an obvious T&C violation which is being reported to them by multiple members.

This sounds exactly like what our Government shoves down our throats on a nonstop campaign to "do what is best for us all".

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SEEWHATUDO
This sounds exactly like what our Government shoves down our throats on a nonstop campaign to "do what is best for us all".

This is a privately owned site, and its their right to do whatever they feel is in its best interest to make it successful. This is not the US government that is accountable to its members.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Of all the explainations I've heard so far, defcon5 put it in an understandable way. My opinion is changing from what I thought was a few grumpy members influencing mods to do their bidding, to an open mindedness of the situation. My fear was only that free speech might be curtailed and so I would have to move on. I have chosen to stay because I do realise because of the volume of posting that the mods have their work cut out for them. So I won't judge them as pawns. And so far no one is claiming any wrong doing. If I had to make my decision now, I would choose on the side of "mod-fairness"

I still however, would like to hear from a few mods. Maybe they could describe their task to us so that others won''t get so hyped up as I was getting.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

Sometimes I wonder about the objectivity of the mods here, but these wrinkles usually iron themselves out with time. Their intent is not always obvious. Give them a chance.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join