It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Best Beans On Toast By Far is...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Now this is a subject that deserves some serious attention.

Beans on toast is the all time classic stand-by meal that is always in the cupboard, well very nearly always.

How do you do it?

Me: my methods vary with the winds! But the gold standard is...

Do you have Soakies (bread underneath) or Dippies (Bread around the side) or do you have a combination of Soakies and Dippies?

Personally I like to have two Soakies stacked in the middle of my plate with two pieces cut in to Dippies (They have to be cut in to Triangles - anyone who's using squares! WTF!) the (now) eight Dippies are placed around the plate.

The Bread, now with so many varieties out there I have found that walnut bread is best. It's just like normal bread, but with NUTS!

The Beans. For years, all through my childhood I was a heinz eater. Then came the great switch. After a night out on the town last year, I crashed at a friends place. A friend that it would seem is much more cultured than I! In the morning after a few cups of coffee; food was needed. "Beans on Toast do ya?" (Told you he was cultured) sure says I, while secretly worrying about the quality of his toastmanship. The toast did arrive and although the Soakies and Dippies were not correctly aligned, the beans themselves were magnificent.

"These Beans are good, what are they?" I nonchalantly enquired.

"Ayam light. Nicer than Heinz right?" Beams my cultured friend. "A deeper tomatoey flavour, much more savory." He continues.

It was an enlightenment of biblical proportions!

So now my beans are always "Ayam light beans"

Heat them throughly with gentle stirring to allow the sauce to thicken a little and pour over the Soakies. Grate a little cheese (a hard Cheddar) over the top, only a little and never too much.

The best Beans on Toast by far...

By

ChiKeyMonKey

How do you do them?

[edit on 6/12/07 by ChiKeyMonKey]

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Yummy beans on toast, gotta love them, best meal in the world!

Just for a little extra spice, today I added some tabasco sauce in with those beans.

Spicy beans on toast.

H... H... Hot!

Remember people... Beans means MonKey!

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I switched to Branston beans as soon as I tasted them.

But for a great beans on toast - nutty bread, agreed.
BUT cut it thick, toast, fry an egg and place in between the 2 buttered slices.
Beans on top, a little parmesan, and some HP brown sauce.

Also try some gently softened onions in the beans - just fry them a little, then combine with beans in a different pan.

Now I've gone and made myself hungry

[edit on 8/12/2007 by budski]

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Up here in the high desert, if you put beans on toast, you would be strung up from the nearest cactus and taunted unmercifully until you cried.

What we do around these parts is to buy a can of refried beans. That is beans mashed to the consistency of mashed potato's and spread them on a flour or corn tortilla, that has been warmed over an open gasoline flame or on a piece of sheet metal with a fire made of pinion wood or goat dung.

Roll said bean and tortilla combo into a thing roughly resembling a stick of dynamite. This is called a bean burrito. It is allowable to dress this thing up with yellow cheese, onions, jalapeños, more beans or slices of green chili.

Jose, tonite you sleep in the camper.

[edit on 8-12-2007 by whaaa]

[edit on 9-12-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
A serious subject MonKey!!!

For me, it has to be heinz organic baked beans. The bread has to be the mass produced sliced white.

I alway let beans boil a little bit so the sauce is thicker. Some people like to butter the bread, not me as this prevents the sauce soaking into the bread.

2 slices of bread and pour the beans on top. Leave for a few seconds so the sauce can soak in.

For that special occasion, add some grated cheese

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Well, I said tradition be damned, throw caution to the winds and decided to try the toast and bean deal but I did it in secret so me droogs wouldn't string me up on a cactus.

Tell me if this meets with the approval of the toast and bean connoisseurs?

I had to use sour dough bread because that's what the "queen of pain" likes. And pork and beans from a can that had the label torn off and was only identified by a scrawled majic marker word *beans* I got lucky cause it could have been string beans but it was P&B beans. I'm betin Heinz.

On a plate I placed a piece of sourdough and ladled on about a 1/2 cup of beans; on top of that I put another slice of bread and mashed it down to about 1/2 in with the heel of my left hand. I thought to myself; if it's good enough for a grilled cheese then how could beans be far off.

2.22 min in the microwave and came out steamin nice. And so as not to steer to far from my roots; I put on top some jalapeño slices and a dash of Louisiana hot sauce. I ate it with a fork.

I hope I haven't offended anyone!!

[edit on 10-12-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Sour dough... hmmm sounds like a nice twist, and the hot sauce, you can't go wrong with hot sauce.

Not to sure about this crushing business, but each to their own "whatever floats ya boat" so to speak.

jalapeño slices - Now that I will be trying!!

Top Job!!

MonKey

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
i'm actually getting ready to go to the store right now to get some beans...

i don't put mine over bread though. i put em over rice or taters.

i like navy beans and cannonelli(sp) beans.....

it is a fast, filling, good for ya meal

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Ahhh a thread i can sink my teeth into.

Ok, first i toast my bread just golden brown, 2 slices, lots of butter.

Then on top of the toast two fried eggs just a little bit runny, then on top of the eggs comes the worcestershire sauce, just enough to run over the sides of the eggs and toast and soak into the sides of the toast.

Then comes the bacon, not quite crispy, the fat has to be a little bit chewy.

And finally on top the Heinz Baked Beans, steaming hot poured over the lot so that barely anything else can be seen with plenty of ground sea salt and pepper.

A dash of tobasco for flavour and voila!

The greatest hangover cure known to man!!

mojo

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mojo4sale

It's a twist on the full English. Add some black pudding, with a large mug of tea and ready to face the day.

Great idea mojo!!!

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by mojo4sale

Don't know about a full English, but if you add a vodka it'll be a bloody mary breakfast!!

Sounds sweet!!

Monkey

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Well I found myself at home alone over the weekend (the wife is off at a family thing for the winter solstice) and it has to be beans!

Just went nice and simple today, with some nice crispy bacon thinly sliced and mixed in with the beans on a couple of well toasted thick whole wheat.

Lovely...

Followed by a couple of mince pies with brandy butter. Yummy...

MonKey means Beans

top topics

join