Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

What did you all think of Romney's speech this morning?

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Hi Everyone,
I don't think this topic has posted yet, if it has Mods please let me know...

I listened to most of Mitt Romney's speech this morning and was compelled by a lot of what he said, however something did not set right with me about it...

Did anyone else get that feeling?

Here is the link to the excerpt of the speech if you have not heard it:

www.foxnews.com...

So what all did you think about his speech? I figured this would be a good topic to discuss....

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
i was a bit offended by his closing. in the closing i believe he stated
'god bless america' and i particularly disagree with the possible next american president condoning god blessing america's citizens. i mean really, thanks but no thanks 'mr. president'.
not to mention, i wonder how he is going to serve god and america, without getting the two intermingled. i mean which comes first? now of course he said that serving america would come first but i just cant see it being the case. not to mention i am willing to bet that he is endorsed by a few mormon based companies or contributors. for instance i know that he is endorsed by paul weyrich, who is a well known large player in the modern conservative religious movement. source:www.boston.com...
so lets see, he's sponsored by religious people, he is a religious person, his family are religious people(he stated in the speech his father is/was a mormon), so that leads me to believe that
in his presidency he will be serving religious people! (gasp!) holy freaking hell batman!

i also find it odd how he felt that he needed to give a speech dealing with his faith. i mean wouldnt it have served better to talk about world and national issues for instance. i guess he must have felt that talking about his faith is more important than talking about homeland security, terrorism, global warming, oil, the national debt, taxes, the fed interest rates, the economy, the environment, nuclear weapons, the energy crisis, n korea, iran, iraq, and countless others.

another thing i find it odd how he has previously refused to discuss his faith, except of course now that he is falling behind in the polls, i guess that he has found it mighty convenient now.

i dont know but mormons make me nervous, like all other religious people.
although that is just an opinion of course.

[edit on 12/6/2007 by agent violet]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by agent violet

Hi Agent violet,
Thanks for replying to my post... You brought up some good points. I am a Christian and I was compelled by his speech but at the same time something-"not right" kept stirring in the back of my mind. He is Mormon-While I don't judge those that are Mormon's,(in fact I have a couple of Mormon friends) I certainly do not believe in some of the weird things they do. I heard a caller this morning on the Laura Ingram show state that she was worried for the same reasons. Mormon's she stated ultimately believe that they will be a god, with their own planet. Now, I am still doing my research on Mormonism, although I have gotten my own dose of it from my landlord and his wife next door
, and if this is true that is scary. Could you imagine if say he did win the Presidency-it could potentially get really scary...Imagine him calling himself a god in power--sounds like end-time Bible prophecy to me-Like say, "The Anti-Christ". I am also bothered by the close ties of Mormonism and the Masons together. Notice that Romney was introduced by Former President Bush. We all know through this site, the conspiracy that abounds in the Bush family's ties to the Masons, Illuminati and of course The New World Order. What do you all think? I hope I am wrong, but something is not right....

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I thought Fox news was for the sheeples? Lol

Don't candinates / presidents hire people for the speech?

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
wow, you beat me to it with the former president bush thing.
and personally i think the guy is pretty deceptive, even with his
'JFK style speech', i think his speech came across as a tactic of religious black mail, he's trying to make voters feel guilty.
however his religion speech can also be used as a tactic or a smokescreen.
that way people start to concentrate on his beliefs rather than his flip flopping on issues like abortion and such.
oh well.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Hi There,

Freedom requires religion just as religion requires freedom...
Mitt Romney 'Fath In America' Speech.

No such relationship exists, because religion always and without exception limits freedoms because of creed. Freedoms never require religion to obtain from religion equal or more freedoms. My freedoms - such as they are, were not handed to my ancestors or to me by a so-called benevolent God, but by the self-sacrifice of life by my ancestral compatriots to acheive a more substantial way of life in which they could be happier.

I have no problem with anyone practising a faith that I myself do not wish to entertain or accept as a self-evident truth. Self-evident freedoms were not won by one's supplication on bended knee to some ideological diety, they were won at the point of the sword, or by the bullet. The founding fathers and founding ancestors of America gained their right to impose their own laws around a constitution because they fought my ancestral compatriots and wrested from them an independence of self-rule. From the slaughter and the spilling of blood, rights to freedoms were won...therein lay the establishment of American freedoms. Without freedoms, religious practice of any kind cannot be publicly enjoyed.

Yet, even in the establishing of freedom to self-governance, we see in the birth of every society that the ideological concept of freedom is always diluted for a practicable and livable society. A genuine free society allows all manner and modes of expression, and tolerates them in the same way one would wish to be tolerated by others. Religion cannot in anyway give freedom to freedom, which is the relationship Romney wants you to accept as being a 'self-evident'. I would suggest that this fellow is appealing to the evangelistic vote in order to gain higher rating figures. He is basically stating sweet words with no substance or 'real' flavour. The very fact that he suggests that America was founded as a Christian society, rather than as a free and liberal society unfettered and unassailed by religious intolerance and sectarianism, makes him someone to watch with suspicion. America was founded on a premise of freedom for expressions, not on any one particular expression, whether it be a religious creed or faith or a political ideology.

To return to constitutional principles as set by the founding fathers, America needs a liberal president, whom will make sacrosanct the freedom of the individual from both state and religious interference. From that essential encompassing freedom, the individual can pursue their own way of life, religion, or political ideology.

Best wishes

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
He sounds like he is so religious that he would never be able to seperate his faith from his politics to me..Religious liberty...

"Freedom requires religion just as religion requires freedom. Freedom opens the windows of the soul so that man can discover his most profound beliefs and commune with God. Freedom and religion endure together, or perish alone.

... endure together or perish alone...

Religious Liberty would also include the right not to be religious, and to choose how you want to practice your religion by definition dear Mr.dumbney...so beware al nonbelievers (I smell fearfactor)

"I'm not sure that we fully appreciate the profound implications of our tradition of religious liberty. I have visited many of the magnificent cathedrals in Europe. They are so inspired … so grand … so empty. Raised up over generations, long ago, so many of the cathedrals now stand as the postcard backdrop to societies just too busy or too 'enlightened' to venture inside and kneel in prayer. The establishment of state religions in Europe did no favor to Europe's churches. And though you will find many people of strong faith there, the churches themselves seem to be withering away.

In must European countries the whole "state religion" thing is chooseable, you can choose to pay tax to the church or you can choose not to, its not more established than that.

and yes we do believe in religous liberty in the way, that we don't need the churches priest to give us a peptalk every week, some do others don't.. we use them more for funerals, marriage and such.

This is true religious liberty, to use the religion as a personal thing if you choose to or to go to church if you choose to, or to believe in what ever religion you choose, or to not believe at all.

why would everyone need a church to kneel down in prayer? let it be the choise of the believer like in true religious liberty.

I think he will be another "good" American president, with true knowledge on how to keep people down by the use of fear, guilt and religious politics as he has made it perfectly clear:

Freedom and religion endure together, or perish alone

yeah...he wont mix up his religion and his politics for sure... good luck with that dude

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
heres what i think about Romney...and his speech

COLLEGE STATION, Texas (AP) - George H.W. Bush will introduce Mitt Romney and lend the prestige of his library for his fellow Republican's speech Thursday focused on religion. The former president's aides and friends say it isn't a tacit political endorsement.

---

Nonetheless, the extended Bush political family has become enmeshed in the 2008 race, and Romney enjoys a significant degree of support.

The former Massachusetts governor's campaign is being managed by Beth Myers, a one-time aide to former White House political strategist Karl Rove. Ron Kaufman, who was the elder Bush's White House political director, is a member of Romney's inner circle.

---
Another adviser, Ben Ginsberg, was on the legal team that helped the current president win the Supreme Court battle over the 2000 election results, and Romney's top three admakers—Alex Castellanos, Stuart Stevens and Russ Schreifer—also made commercials for the president during his two White House campaigns

---
In addition, top advisers to former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, son of the elder Bush, are helping Romney, particularly in the state's pivotal primary contest.

Dorothy Bush Koch, a sister of both George and Jeb Bush, has given Romney $2,100, her only reported donation to any of the GOP candidates

www.breitbart.com...

if Romney is supported by the Bush team then he automatically drops off my list (more of the same with a new face) Not to mention, i come from the state with the highest population of mormons in the country and i see the effect of religion in the local politics and it is not to good. Do a google search for the liquor laws in utah its quite amusing.

this should get you started
www.fortogden.com...

[edit on 6-12-2007 by turbokid]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by turbokid

OH my! wow, thanks turbokid for posting that...I had no idea that Romney was getting that much support from the Bush's....Bet me anything, he is set to win the Presidency....I know about the Mormon's as well....While I love all my friends that are Mormon's, I certainly don't believe what they do. If you want to see what has happened to Mormon's who have left the church...go to

www.exmormon.org...

You will not believe some of the things that go on and happen to members of LDS...It is sad and scary....

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
When I see comments like I've seen it this thread (usually from so-called "constitutionalists"), it really makes me wonder how much people really understand about this country and how it was founded.

When someone makes a comment like, "a president saying god bless America offends me", it really shows how little people understand. Faith and politics ARE intertwined in America, and always have been. I can only hope that they always will be as well.

When the founding fathers sat down to form this country and write it's Constitution, they did so with God in mind. They were religious people and knew that in order to govern fairly, the principles they shared needed to be used. That's why in our nations anthems and pledges you see such phrases as "one nation under God".

Don't get me wrong now, I believe full heartedly in the separation of church and state. And I also believe that a President should act first on behalf of his country, not his God. But believe me when I say, I would much rather have a god fearing President in this country than a non believer. Only because as a believer, it is very important to me.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I listened to his speech and on the surface it was well scripted and targeted to the folks he wanted to attract and influence.

In other words; transparent pandering to the evangelicals by attempting to cover up his Mormonism and make it seem to be mainstreme Christianity.

With his Bush connections, I am almost positive he will be the next POTUS.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house!!

new topics

top topics

join