It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flatulent Kangaroos Could Save Planet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Yes it is really different... there is bugger all fat in the meat. I had mine with some friends out bush... bush tucker

Hi Thuri,
You sure are making that roo meat sound good! I was afraid it might be strong, gamey or otherwise undesirable.

I was thinking again about the vegetarians and their solution. Stop eating all meat, plant the world to food crops and you can feed everyone.
Well, a lot of the stuff that cows and other rumenants eat are not edible to humans and would otherwise go to waste. Also rumenants graze areas that would or could never be cultivated such as ranch land and scrub areas.
In the country where I spent a year in Africa a lot of the high quality protein in their diet came from grazing animals and most of the area they grazed was wasteland otherwise. I would guess 1/3 to 1/2 the protein.
Also, generally, animal protein is much higher quality and better balanced in amino acids that plant protein. Plant protein needs to be doctored up to be utilizable ie. add this or that amino acid like taurine.
So.. if we could just stop that nasty methane by product production we'd have the perfect food animal!

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
All this talk is making me hungry

Seriously, I just tried to search for a source of kangaroo, and I'm not finding any farms in the US... anyone have any info on that? As in, where could someone get a kangaroo, special needs, legal restrictions, etc.?

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I just tried to search for a source of kangaroo, and I'm not finding any farms in the US... anyone have any info on that?

Hi Red,
If you'd like to pet one in WA trythis farm.
And if you'd like to try some roo steaks go here.
And if your dog would like a tasty change in his diet try here!

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

Not a bad price on it either, $7.50 a pound. I may indeed try some.Thanks!

Actually, my thoughts were more toward the possibility of starting a kangaroo farm. I know emu meat has taken a firm hold n a niche market in the US. So if kangaroo is that good...?

I'm trying to find out what it would ake to raise them,and if there would be any problem with importing some. Sorry, I should have stated my question better.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Hi Red, Search "kangaroo farms" and you will see a few. Call up and talk to an owner. He could sell you some breeding stock or give you some advise. I doubt very much that you would have to import a pair.
My advise would be to be cautious in the genetics department as there are many varieties of kangaroo. You may want a meat producing variety. Also, it is always nice to have one that is docile, domesticated, healthy and capable of reproduction.

Any Ausies out there with advise on kangaroo culture?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join