It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flatulent Kangaroos Could Save Planet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Flatulent Kangaroos Could Save Planet

www.foxnews.com

Flatulent kangaroos could save the planet.

Australian scientists plan to isolate, and possibly transfer to other species, the 'roos digestive bacteria, which unusually produce almost none of the potent greenhouse gas methane.

One of the primary sources of atmospheric methane is the digestive tracts of millions of cows, sheep, pigs and, um, humans. It's the byproduct of trillions of bacteria, properly called digestive flora, without which no mammal could get nutrition from starches and plant fibers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.afp.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Skippy Could Help Combat Global Warming

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
What they are doing is isolating the bacteria that the kangaroos use in digestion then they want to transfer that to cattle, sheep and goats to use in their digestion process. Our rumenants (cows) produce methane a strong greenhouse gas and roos don't produce much. Roos are also more efficient in their digestive process.
An alternative suggestion was to just start substituting kangaroo meet for beef and mutton. 20% of Ausies already do!
What do you think?
1) Will the bacteria transfer to our rumenants?
2) Will it make any difference with GW anyway?
3) Will it make the beef taste like kangeroo? (However that tastes!)
4) Should Australians and New Zealanders switch to kangeroo eating?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Dont Belive everything Fox say.

this sounds like politics

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Interesting. Here's an article on yet another methane-reduction method via bacteria:
'Hellish' hot springs yield greenhouse gas-eating bug

And what do you know, it was discovered in the Southern Hemisphere as well -- New Zealand.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Professor Khaos

Dont Belive everything Fox say.

Hi Dont,
I don't, nor do I believe everything CNN says...

Believe me this phenomen is a subject of discussion in the cow world. Go to the original article and my ATS link. Pretty interesting stuff!

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Back when I attended ISU they had cows with windows into their rumens. You could reach in and grab a handfull of what the cow had eaten (yuk). I wonder why we couldn't just throw a bit of kangeroo stomach contents into the cow and try to change her rumen flora? It seems worth a try. I know it probably wouldn't work or you would make the cow ill.. I would imagine finding a cooperative kangeroo might be the first hurdle!

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Why don't we just eat the cows, pigs, goats...? I mean, I'm doing my part, but one man can only do so much...

If we could get the vegearians to help out, we wouldn't be in this mess!

(Sorry for the sarcasm, but... changing digestive juices?
Escuse me while I go beat my head against a wall.)

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I fail to see why eating meat makes me retarded. Do you have to have a mental disability to think that eating meat is good for you?
I do happen to love kangaroo meat. Probably the best meat I've ever tasted.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
I fail to see why eating meat makes me retarded. Do you have to have a mental disability to think that eating meat is good for you?
I do happen to love kangaroo meat. Probably the best meat I've ever tasted.

Feel free to continue believing that the way an animal tastes overrides the intrinsic value of its life, but don't act surprised if someone like me calls you retarded. I'm sure you got good grades or whatever, but I mean retarded in terms of logic, conscience, perception, kindness, and spirituality. I'm just being honest, the way I see your attitude to meat is caveman (pardon the pun). Be reassured that cavemen nearly always say the same of me, and I generally just ignore your barbarism and get on with trying to save your planet. Won't distract thread further than that, can easily find plenty of vego threads to rehash or pms.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Feel free to continue believing that the way an animal tastes overrides the intrinsic value of its life, but don't act surprised if someone like me calls you retarded.
reply to post by Shar_Chi

Hi Char,
Enough name calling. If you want to eat vegetables that's fine with me.
We are talking about how to save some cows here or at least make them more environmentally compatable.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Excellent news!

Can I have some caffeine free coffee with some lactose free milk and I'll take the fart free beef and genetically modified taste free tomato sandwich on gluten free bread.

Seems like the only thing that isn't free these days are people!

MonKey

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
How about admit for a change that global warming is not caused by something within our biosphere? Then we buckle down to adjusting to the changes.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I don't know too much about cheese or even milk. I should say how cows produce it but wouldn't that bacteria make the milk/cheese taste a bit different?.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
wow, no wonder then the last time I was at a shin dig with my friends we ate kangaroo tail straight up from the camp fire.... not one person was farting at all that night!

not even me... wow...better get me some more kangaroo...

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 02:14 AM
link   

wow, no wonder then the last time I was at a shin dig with my friends we ate kangaroo tail straight up from the camp fire.... not one person was farting at all that night!
Hi Thur,
So I understand that "roo" isn't that bad, rather good in your opinion? Well at least done over the campfire?

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Roo is VERY tasty and also very lean, Plum...

On average I have it once per month...I like it quickly grilled, or in a curry...Because of the lack of fat, it either has to be cooked very quickly and done no more than medium rare or it gets tough...

Or very slowly on a lower heat, as in a curry, casserole etc...

And given the price of beef here these days, roo is actually very reasonably priced...

Peace

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch
I would imagine finding a cooperative kangeroo might be the first hurdle!

Yeah watch out for the big ones

But if they want to save some effort,they can scrap the reminisce from the front of my 4x4`s roo bar,I think there`s still plenty there to get them started.

Dusk is a bad time to be driving in the bush,they come straight out in front of you.

Never tasted roo though,sounds like I`ve been missing out.

Here skip!

[edit on 7-12-2007 by gps777]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 03:12 AM
link   
It would probably help a lot if people in generally ate less meat. There'd be less farting cows to start with and more land to grow crops with that could feed the rest of the world too.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch

Hi Thur,
So I understand that "roo" isn't that bad, rather good in your opinion? Well at least done over the campfire?

Yes it is really different... there is bugger all fat in the meat. I had mine with some friends out bush... bush tucker (traditional way) and it was fabulishous! I don't eat a lot of meat generally but yanno, when in Rome do as the Romans do?

It is a huge business now...especially in the pet food area. I don't like how they cull them. Nothing traditional about that!

but, still we had fun and I got toexperience traditional life that night...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join