It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hidden racism in Canada rears its ugly head

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Hidden racism in Canada rears its ugly head

www.ottawasun.com

Almost four decades after Canada became the first country in the world to adopt multiculturalism as official policy, the emergence of apparently racist acts raises questions about how harmoniously the races are living together.
In January, the rural town of Herouxville passed a policy paper laying out norms for immigrants that declared, among other things, that it is forbidden to stone women in public.
reports of Asian-Canadian anglers being targeted and assaulted while fishing on Lake Simcoe in the town of Georgina, 80 kilometres north of Toronto, have instigated an inquiry.

Several men face charges after the fishermen where pushed into the lake, their gear destroyed and windshields smashed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Sadly, this racism is human nature and I'm afraid Canada had the incorrect designation for being a tolerant society for years. The sad truth is racism doesn't stop at the northern border with the US. When I first arrived in Canada from the US 8 years ago I was a little shocked to hear racist jokes directed at new immigrants from Asia and East Asia. I was one of the "believers" that Canada was different. AS it turns out I was brainwashed by the liberal media and the reality is far from the worthy ideal. I try my best to educate other Canadians and Americans alike that ignorance is no excuse. Of course people will belive what they want to belive and media has a huge impact on most peoples's views.

www.ottawasun.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
The typical Candian polite attitute towards strangers expressed in media as being part of the one the Canadian symbolic image has become to be widely known and "expected" in the public sphere of the Canadian citizen.

But do we really have this polite and great so called "canadian image"? Or are we brain washed by the American public making us feel a bit below then they are as though our population does not mean anything in terms of global view in. What's my point? Simply looking at Racism is not just as easy as opening in a goverment job application page and finding are you a "visiable minority" is something that lies beneath the eye of the public prospective when seeking a job opportunity in a so called multicultural society which i believe is in terms of the public is there but not in the governed system. DON'T BELIEVE MY WORD JUST LOOK FOR IT

Just look at your local goverment office job application and wonder why they ask the question ARE YOU PART OF A "VISABLLE MINORITY" WHAT AN INSULT FOR THE CANADIAN IMAGE.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I love how you say "racism doesn't end at the northern broader", as if America is some sort of beacon of racism. As if there are rational people who believed it just ended at Canada, because you're obviously just superior. There are other countries in the world with much larger race problems than the US.

[edit on 7-11-2008 by Marcus Calpurnius]

new topics

top topics

join