It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

97-year-old Grandmother Speaks the Truth

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

Can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen, bub. The internet is not some magical place where you state something, everyone high-fives you and then we go get some ice cream. No, sometimes people disagree. It disgusts me how this woman is getting praise mainly because of her age for something that would be rightly labelled as typical anti-religious trollery on these boards. People are agreeing with her comments because they sound good and have high propaganda value without critically analyzing them.

[edit on 7-12-2007 by Jim_Kraken]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Word of advice:

Don't let ignorant attention seeking bullies bait you into doing something stupid.

That is all.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Granny D. strikes me as an "old school" liberal, and I mean that as a compliment. She has high ideals, and she's not bitter or cynical, but hopeful her words will be heard. She may or may not be an atheist, but as a religious person I am not offended. Everyone has a right to their own beliefs, and a right to state them. Liberalism has a long and rich history. Modern liberals can learn much from her, and conservatives, hopefully, might at least listen.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Jim_Kraken

Well then we disagree. You have your opinions and I have mine. I know she gets some things mixed up like the war on terror is not the same as war on terrorism. The religious part doesn't bother me because I have my own thoughts on that, and granny has her's and you have yours.

I agree with speakerofthruth about liberalism and the fact that it doesn't exist today like it did back in her youth. And I can't believe a thing that the press throws out to the public anymore. Just wondering are we really free?

[edit on 12/7/2007 by Solarskye]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Critically analyzing her comments? Have you in this thread done this? I can tell you right now that I have critically analyzed every point she has made before I read the OP. I have been critically analyzing those points for at least the last twelve years. And on this day and in this moment, I agree with her 100%. Many of the points she has made have also been made by others here at ATS, including myself. Now just because you do not agree does not mean that she is wrong. The point is that you should think freely for yourself. Free minds listen. And if you have listened to her, then your comments do not bear evidence of you having done so. I mean, in my view, if you think that her comments are trollish and anti-religious then you really haven't been listening. You are free to do what you want, this is true, but it seems that you also offer up analysis-free criticism. You offer up just what you accuse others of doing.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Thanks to all of you who thanked me for posting this. When I read Granny D's speech for the first time, I got very emotional... and I'm glad I wasn't the only one. Maybe there's hope for the world after all.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jim_Kraken
"As the world's resources become stressed by global warming and
overpopulation, do we really think we can kill all the angry people?"

Another logical error. The world is enjoying it's highest standard of living EVER...the quality of living has gone up with population, not the opposite. Being old does not equate with being right.

I believe in respect for one's elders but groundlessly attack my religion and I'll give you all the respect you deserve-none.

You mean the Western world is enjoying its highest standard of living. I suggest you go to Africa or southeast Asia and have a real look at how some people still live in utter poverty and no one really gives them any help.
Have you ever been out of your own country and seen for yourself? The distribution of wealth is extremely tilted and a small percentage of the worlds population have the majority of the wealth.
In other words you're not being objective or you simply haven't done your research.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jim_Kraken
The world is enjoying it's highest standard of living EVER...

This would be accurate if you mean 3-5% of the worlds population...

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tha stillz

OK...how many diseases have we eradicated in Africa again?

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

Thanks for posting and sharing this with us sylvie,

It is definitely an “open your eyes” read.

If I good give this lady stars for the crystal clear and absolute true remarks she saying in this speech, I would give her an galaxy full of them.

You said; We should definitely listen more to our elders...,

And that’s absolutely right.
But also, if many more people, [I include absolute myself] had the same courage of this woman and her husband, than this world would be definite a better place.

For those who are interested of course, here you can listen to an short interview with this remarkable lady.

www.pod-planet.com...

[edit on 8/12/07 by spacevisitor]

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I agree with what she says. The only thing is........global warming is NOT really an issue. The earth warms like this every 15,000 years. The global warming trend is nothing more than a diversion to get our minds off of what is really going on in our society. This lady has lived long enough to know quite alot of what has happened in our country. I am sure she could tell us alot more things also. Go Granny D.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jbondo

I know I know and you're right. I simply said what we were all thinking.. and if kraken has enuff insight to draw the conclusion that granny d was attacking his religion... then ill give him a bit of mine. It's a shame people think that just because something bad involving thier religion is brought up that they are personally under assualt. My advice to kraken is to have a little more faith in what he believes in and to take his own advice and look at what is being said without drawing conclusions from nowhere.

Blunt as I was last night kraken knows we are right and if he would bother to read the speech again I'm sure he would see his error. Maybe he let emotions cloud his judgement.. as did I by slandering him. Sorry ATS

[edit on 8-12-2007 by ka0s69]

[edit on 8-12-2007 by ka0s69]

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ka0s69

The thing is, it was another one of those ignorant "religion is always bad" comments. I have nothing wrong with criticism, as long as it's intelligent criticism. My religion has lots of problems as I freely acknowledge. Nevertheless, when this comment is taken along with her other misinformed comment about the "dangers of overpopulation", I don't think this woman's speech should be taken seriously.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Mr. Kraken I read Granny's speech again for the forth time. I am a Christian. In no way did she offend my religion or any other religion.

In a nut shell...she said religion is used as an excuse to commit war and other evils. She did not say it was the fault of religious people or religious leaders. Many people have done things evil in the name of God that just used God as an excuse to do the deed.

I totally understand and admire you for standing up so fiercly for your religion. But...the lady did not fault religion. She faulted the misuse of religion to do bad things.

There is no shame in saying you were mistaken in your assumptions about this speech. It's a much bigger man that can admit his misunderstanding and learn in the process.

I implore you to open your mind and seek understanding from your fellow members of this forum. The truth sir, will never change.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Man I wish she was my grandma. When she died i'd make a big statue of her and worship her as a deity.

To those complaining about people commending her just because she's old, that's not the case.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Fantasic post. Thanks OP.

I really felt something in Granny D's words.

She cut it deep.

For me, it was dead on.

Since I don't have any living grand parents, I would like to adopt Granny D.

ATS Mix, your mission.....Get Granny D! Come'on boys, I smell a hot show.

Please excuse me for not reading all the post, I want to keep this one all to myself. Thank you.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Yadda, Yadda, Yadda.

You know, what I find interesting is that this 96 year old grandmother has got every single liberal talking point in this one piece!!!

I mean who would have thought that a 96 year old person could come up with such a well developed speech!!!

It's got it all. She left nothing out. And at 96. Wow. I mean my 95 year old grandmother doesn't even know who the Carlyle family is....but this babe does...

Liberalism is pretty pathetic. Now you got 96 year old person spewing the same garbage as the rest of you. Find an agenda and stick to it.

Good job libs.

Whine, whine, whine.

I don't think Nancy Pelosi or Harry Reid could have done a better job.

Who wrote this for her? New York Times? Chris matthews? No maybe it was the "Brilliant keith oberman"

Take your pick.

I wish my 95 year old grandmother was as smart as her. The last conversation I had with my grandmother was about emptying out her colostomy bag and giving her - her medication.

And the conversation before that was about how her father use to take her to buy Ice for the "new ice box" they had when she was 9...

But I gotta hand it to you libs, you found the only 96 year old babe who doesn't wear depends or isn't on oxygen and can still form coherent sentences.

How did you do it? How did you manage to get some one who has the liberal agenda down to a "T"???

Especially some one who lived through the depression and WWII. When my grandmother talks about WWII she says, "We gotta kill all those slanted eyed bastards for what they did to us". "All we dropped was 2 bombs on them?"

And, "that pig killed himself (hitler), we should have been able to shoot him"!!!

So, To get someone who live through the depression and WWII to talk so badly about the United States of America without being coerced in some way is a stretch of the imagination.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I know, all you libs are gonna come out and say, i'm wrong, the country is bad, bush is evil.. - blah, blah, blah....

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Mr Kraken,

Overpopulation is a BIG concern, read your history. It is only common sense that the bigger the population the greater the strain on resources.

Organised religion IS the cause of most wars. IMHO organised religion is not necessary for you to be spiritual and a believer in God, and is actually a form of repression. Read Thomas Paine and you may learn a thing or two.

Poverty IS worldwide. The gap between the rich and the poor is greater than it has ever been.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join