It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can cancer prolong life?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Im Dont know all the reasons for why we die, but im sure i heard one of the reasons is our cells stop dividing. If this is the case, could cancer cells prolong life. Cancer cells have no division limit, so could they be altered to do what the title sugests. If anyone knows the reasons for why we die could you please post them.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sc2300

NO, Cancer tumor is a vampire it feeds on blood. if no veins nearby it produces a chemical to draw blood vessels to IT. Cancer research has advanced in last Ten Years to show this, plus while one tumor grows it sends signal to body not to let other tumors to grow, once a main tumor is removed thru radition treatment they say youhave good chance if found early. If Doctor Uses Knife tumors can grow back, plus it depends were and how early they are detected.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by sc2300

Unfortunately Cancer and Longevity are linked. If your cells continue to divide they run the risk of mutation, which is what cancer is. Kind of nature's way of telling us we're going one way or the other.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
You might check out www.abovetopsecret.com...

or the company called geron www.geron.com...
Note the recent news - it deals with new treatment making cancer cells stop dividing..

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by bone13
reply to post by sc2300

NO, Cancer tumor is a vampire it feeds on blood. if no veins nearby it produces a chemical to draw blood vessels to IT. Cancer research has advanced in last Ten Years to show this, plus while one tumor grows it sends signal to body not to let other tumors to grow, once a main tumor is removed thru radition treatment they say youhave good chance if found early. If Doctor Uses Knife tumors can grow back, plus it depends were and how early they are detected.

Then why cant we reproduce this signal and tell them all to stop growing? Shouldnt be that hard should it?

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Onthefence,
That is what I understand GRN163 does..all cancers have telemere issue in common. Maybe they are on the right track

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies so far. But no one has really gave an answer to why we die. I oviously understand how someone could die from being hit by a car but what cuases people to die of old age?

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
sc2300, if you find out the answer to this one, you'll be filthy rich in no time.

No one knows why we die. I have heard several researchers in my lifetime admit "there is no reason for the human body to die" (from years back, don't ask me for a source unless you know what radio station you were listening to on May 14, 1986 at 3:17 PM). Cellular function alone doesn't seem to be able to account for it, since cells typically die off and are replaced by new ones on a regular basis.

As far as I know, being more an engineering-minded than medical-minded person, it has to do with the fluids and hormones inside our bodies not being manufactured in as much of an abundance as we age. Cellular division rates, which are chemically-controlled, slow down. So perhaps you are onto something here. If a cancer could be controlled, couldn't that controlled cellular reproduction offset the slowdown which appears to come naturally? I'd like to see someone doing research on this... maybe we could declare my Marlboros a health food?

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Cancer cells don't undergo apoptosis (programmed cell death) which is essential for renewal of our cells and cellular systems.

All mamalian cells contain energy generating parts called mitochondria. Recent research has demonstrated that some cancers have a defect in their mitochondria that prevents them from stopping energy production and hence keep generating energy and avoiding cellular death. What the research did was to turn the mitochondrial mechanism back to default condition and the cancer cells died of their own accord as their energy needs were not being met. This is early days for this research (can't remember the source sorry- At work so can't spend too much time looking) but it is very promising.

The point about cancer cells and their immortality is that they proliferate without any control and hence form tumours. Our bodies, when we are young and even middle aged like me, have defence systems that go arround repairing damage to the DNA (light and dark repair mechanisms), as we get older these break down too rather like repair men in their twenties and their nineties. Some move more slowly and miss stuff or incompletely repair things...

Karposies sarcoma (purple spots on hands and face etc) is one of these incomplete repairs.

Personally I think we were designed with obsolesence in mind rather like the washing machine or vacuum cleaner.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Basically, from my understanding, cancer cells are mutant cells which over produce. This over-production causes masses (tumors) in the body. I have often wondered what cancer would do if let to "run its course." My opinion is that we would still ultimately dies. Both of my parents died of cancer, so, I know some of the effects it has on the human body. It isn't good.

[edit on 11-12-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

new topics

top topics

join