It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Complicated question about light

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I just want to ask a question that I can't answer and see if anyone here knows the answer
It's maybe not really complicated, but I don't think really think the average person would know the right answer.

Okay so like most of you know we can't see more than a few stars in the sky at night because our eyes aren't sensetive enough. If you take a camera and take a picture up in the sky with a long exposure you'll see like red and blue and yellow instellar dust and probably all the stars in our whole galaxy. So practically the whole milky way, like in this picture

But I was wondering if you take a picture like that over a lake or any kind of body of water will everything come out as a reflection in the water too? Or will it look really cool in the sky, and only a few stars in the water like we see with our own eyes? This picture maybe proves that I'm right but the exposure is so short that you hardly see anything anyways.

If I'm right then I think it's strange though. Since everything is light, shouldn't all of it be reflected by the water?

[edit on 6-12-2007 by ZikhaN]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Water is a substance which is 800 times denser than air. As soon as light enters the water, it interacts with the water molecules and suspended particles to cause loss of light, colour changes, diffusion, loss of contrast and other effects.

[edit on 6-12-2007 by Drzava]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Haha, maybe it wasn't so complicated;p I thought that water only distorts lightO_o But thx for the info hehe

It doesn't loose all light though, so shouldn't it reflect like 50% or more?

[edit on 6-12-2007 by ZikhaN]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

[edit on 6-12-2007 by Drzava]

join