It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reef Revival Via Voltage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I didn't know this was possible. Conservationist are speeding up coral growth in Bali reefs with the application of low-voltage electrical currents.

Electricity Revives Bali Coral Reefs

(AP) -- Just a few years ago, the lush coral reefs off Bali island were dying out, bleached by rising temperatures, blasted by dynamite fishing and poisoned by cyanide. Now they are coming back, thanks to an unlikely remedy: electricity.

The coral is thriving on dozens of metal structures submerged in the bay and fed by cables that send low-voltage electricity, which conservationists say is reviving it and spurring greater growth.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Coolness! All is not doom and gloom for the fate of our reefs. And the method isn't that expensive nor is it high-tech.

I can see this being tied up with solar-cells, or perhaps tidal harnesses so as not to take energy off the grid.

Related AboveTopSecret Thread:
Mass Coral Deaths Due to Ocean Warming

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 03:33 AM
link   
This is exceptional!

The coral is thriving on dozens of metal structures submerged in the bay and fed by cables that send low-voltage electricity, which conservationists say is reviving it and spurring greater growth.

ref aboven

It doesn't state though that they have introduced the exp at the GBR.
Only in Bali at the moment.

Even so, this is very promising!

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Perhaps not yet, but I'm pretty certain they have that in mind. After all most of those involved in the Bali project are Aussies. In fact your government funded part of it (from the news article).

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Perhaps the Aussie navy can use this to fix up the Barrier Reef after they bomb the crap out of it during exercises?

Actually, better to not give them excuses.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

oh yes, I am still trying to get my head around that one.

I wonder if the person organising the event has a brain?

Surely they could find a more suitable location?

Pathetic

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Great post, I cant help relating this to the electric univers teori, it is indeed an electric world we live in.

We all depend on electricity for our way of living, and apparently so do corals!

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I just read this:

Corals may move from warming seas

IF their watery world continues to warm as climate change scientists predict, Western Australia's corals may head south to cooler climes.

more

Perhaps the GBR might simply move to cooler waters?

Interesting article either way...

"Rottnest Island (off Perth) has Acropora coral, and it didn't have any 20 years ago." (ref above)

[edit on 1-1-2008 by Thurisaz]

top topics

join