It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police dogs in Wales taught not to bite...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Because police there are afraid of being sued by lawbreakers whom they sic the dogs on, said dogs are being taught to "launch themselves" into the criminals, or to head-butt them. The dogs are being muzzled. God, the UK is turning
into The World Sissy Headquarters.

link: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Military K9 dogs are taught the same. A friend & neighbor of mine is a K9 handler (currently on his 2nd tour in Iraq)...the dogs are taught to not bite and not bark - unless comanned to do so. The dogs are very controlled. I got to watch them during an search, seize and attack exercise

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
greeneyedleo, why are the military dogs taught to not bite? I would think that biting would be more effective at incapacitating the target than just headbutting.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

Biting is not always necessary. However, military dogs are mainly used for drugs/bombs.

They will bite if told too. And its only in certain locations. The will never go for the face, as an example. But usually just the site or the sound of a dog is enough to stop someone

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Thats interesting, I have had the privilege of seeing my county sheriff's office K-9 unit in training and they definitely still use the biting takedown although I would imagine its only used as a last resort as the dogs are mainly for tracking and detection of explosives and drugs.

The attack dog thing like in all the 1960s riots and protests is a thing of the past in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   
A big dog,running at speed,can pole ax and adult if it connects in the right place.
My German Shepard has demonstrated this on me from time to time when we go mad in the fields.
And he wasn't even trying.
Also,knowing the cops these days,they are probably concerned that criminals may be more likely to try to sue them if they get chunks of flesh bitten off.
I admit it sounds a bit crazy at first,but a dog can easily headbutt a grown man to the floor,given the right motivation.

Side note...I am slightly surprised the cops haven't gone for a tungsten spiked taser muzzle,maybe with support drones carrying tins of "pedigree chum."
Joking there..

[edit on 6-12-2007 by Silcone Synapse]

top topics

join