It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Tests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Does anyone know about a 'test' for bi-polar disorder or depression that has to do with an injection that makes your blood run cold???

Both my sister and I had the test in the 80's, (at different times), but neither of us know what it was.
Was it dangerous???

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Nothing, yet.
Surely someone has some psychiatric knowledge.

It's just intrigued me for some time.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

Most of my knowledge is psychotic, so I can't help.

Really, it sounds strange, unless it was a dye along with some sort of brain scan.

??????

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Don't know about a bi polar test - but when I was a kid I had to have very large injections of antibiotics through an IV line (because of an op) I could really feel the difference in temp as the fluid was pushed in - thought it was really cool as it travelled along and equalised with my body temp. Is that the sort of thing you mean?

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
No, there was no brain scan.
I think just a blood test afterward.

Actually, it could have been pulled from the fridge just prior to the injection.
But, my sister and I didn't get that impression.

The nurse told me " now this is going to be very cold and you're going to feel as if you have to pee."
I was 17 and my sister was about 23.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
There is a possibility it was sodium pentothal. It has many uses but has been used to relax a person and cause them to feel comfortable discussing personal problems.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

It's possible, if not conventional.
I think I had the test BEFORE I spoke to the psychiatrist.
I don't even remember what was said.
But, I DO know that my mind has the ability to block things out. It's happened before.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I've had to drink cold yucky chalky stuff that makes your inside get highlighted for MRI's... could it be the same stuff injected in your blood stream?? But I can't see why that would be the case if there wasn't scan involved..

I didn't know there was medical test/procedure for bipolar disorder. I was always under the assumption it was diagnosed via physchological evaluation.

[edit on 12-5-2007 by worldwatcher]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

Worldwatcher, I'm not sure if it was for bi-polar, it could have been for depression.
We weren't told what it was.
I don't remember much about it, except that on the way home, I had to get my mom to stop at a store because I had to throw up.( I just remembered that)

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I know of no medical procedure that can be done intravenously to determine mental illness. The brain chemical distribution is so small and diffuse. The only way I know of determining bipolar or similar disturbance is by pschiatric evaluation.

[edit on 5-12-2007 by jpm1602]

new topics

top topics

join