It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fantasy Airforce

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
By heavy interceptor you mean missile boat? Never seen a strategic bomber used in that application...

Shattered OUT...

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Actually it was a planned varient. It was to be know as the TU-160P or TU-161. The plane is actually highly agile for something of its size and that combined with its range. But alas like most planned varients at that time it never came about. However with the RuAF's increasing bomber usage and the fact that the 160 is still in production, who knows.

It wouldnt be the first time they turned a bomber into an interceptor. the Tu-128 was based on a failed strategic bomber design.

Jensy

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Actually looks some what like the Hustler, some what.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   
This is my fantasy airforce guys:

Air Superiority Fighter - F-22

Strike Fighter/tactical bomber - FB-23

Stategic Bomber - B2

Transport - Boeing C-17

Awacs - Boeing 787-8

Tanker - Boeing 777LR

Trainer/light combat - F-16

Multirole: F35
Ground Support - A-10
JUCAS

Reconnaissance - SR-72 / X43b (variant)

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Not only a fantasy airforce but the way I think the RAF should remould itself (if it can shout loudly enough at the US congress)

Air Superiority Fighter - A 3-1 mix of eurofighters ( and a 2 seat variant of the F-22 configured for A2A loadout only with the rear seat designated as field command and control for both the EFs and mutiple network linked A2A UCAVs for combat by proxy (and a higher weapons loadout per man)

Strike Fighter/tactical bomber - 4-1 mix of F-22 and B1-R

Stategic Bomber - 6-1 mix of Nimrod MRA4 based dedicated bomber and B-2

Transport - C-17, C130 et al to provide comprehensive strategic airlift capabilities

Awacs - Nimrod Based (comonality of components for lower overall maintainance loadout)

Tanker - Nimrod based (Ditto, even though it means having more birds in the air, if anything it spreads out the wear and tear, we're talking about planes here, not how many people I need to fly the damn things)

Jet trainer - BAE Hawk

Multirole - Hawker P.1154

Ground Support - C130J, UCAV's, Harrier GR9 (with new gun pods)

Reconnaissance - Global Hawk, Nimrod MRA4

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Problem is that I think your looking at more comet aiframes than they actually made, let alone are intact.

I must say however I agree with the Nimrod based bomber, its range is amazing. Its age would be irrelevant in a stand off role or else going up against a basic opponent. Not so sure about the B-2.

Jensy

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   
During the MRA4 upgrade the entire airframe was rebuilt with 0 miles parts, thus creating the tooling for completely new airframes, I believe the quote was that there was less then 5% commonality of parts between the MRA4 and the MR2, which pretty much means the skin and landing gear

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MisterVoid

Nimrod? I have nothing against the comet but it is very old frame. There is a limit of the kind of engines it can have (both in power and efficiency) plus the quirks of an old frame.

Also if your concern are costs why not base everything on commercial airplanes. They are way more reliable and easier to maintain plus they make everything the Nimrod does better.

U can choose either Boeing or Airbus machines and both will provide terrific result at far cheaper prices and maintenance costs.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
As I said the entire aircraft has pretty much been redesigned, and as for engines, not only does it now take brand new revised rolls royce units, but it can shut down 2 of them completely while on station to increase endurance.

Yes, I am a Nimrod/comet nut, I just think they're the best looking large planes ever built, hey this is my fantasy after all

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MisterVoid

A very capable a/c, but hands down it is one of the ugliest planes to ever take flight

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I wouldnt say its the most beautiful aiframe in the sky, but I feel that it is not helped by the colouring. It looks a bit like that yellow paint that old rovers are always painted it. If they were to do it up like the new Sentinel R1, it would look quite distinguished.

Jensy

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join