It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mythology associated w/ gender...why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I've been pondering this question for quite some time now...

Why is that that each culture in creation myths have a gender associated with it?

Ao and Po
Mother Earth and the Creator
Orisha Nla and Alorun
Eurynome and Ophion

????

any takes?

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   
May be I am just dense But I really dont understand the question

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I think it because we need both sexes to reproduce. So naturally the "gods" have to be heterosexuals, since we are supposed to be their children.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
that's an excellent point , I've been beating myself up over this, and all I could think of was because in each culture, there is either a matriarchal society or patriachal society, and to get to either one there would of had to of been a power struggle between the two sexes, the other one i thought of was because of resurgent threats over which the greek patriarchal order had to assert itself time after time.

But the question still remains, why does eahc culture have to have a gender associated with it???

Why couldn't earth and sky be produced by a thing??
Not male or female, but an "object"

Just to get out of that main stream thinking...

you know how creation myths start off w/ chaos,
and then there is order?? Well how come
some kind of "object" not sex create the world.

Some stories have that, but the ones that use sex, i'm just wondering why??

but worldwatcher, that is a good explanation.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Ying and yang. Jack and Jill

Tom and Jerry?

Probabily something to do with balance in order to cover the spectrum of existence.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
It is the same with many European languages, nouns are pre-fixed by a male 'le' or female 'la' in the case of the French language. Yet others do not make this distinction.

I think it is because we and most life on the planet has two sexes including plants and we had/have few examples of single sex reproduction.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
It is to account for the balance of all things in existence. Whatever brings chaos or destruction is generally considered masculine and whatever brings life and order is generally feminine. Like Jonna said, it's about the Yin & Yang.

new topics

top topics

join