It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Road that Hums

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
www.reuters.com...

I found this while looking at odd news at Reuters. I remember as a child that in America there were roads that made a certain rhythmic sound as you went over them. This road hums and is more harmonic.

My apologies if this has been repeated.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The Japanese culture comes up with some of the coolest things. That's pretty cool, but the tune only last 13 seconds, not worth the effort really, especially since most drivers probably have music going in their cars anyways. Still fascinating though.

apc

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This would be especially useful to counter the problem of newer hybrid and electric vehicles being too quiet for pedestrians to hear. It's definitely better than playing recorded engine sounds as some have suggested.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

Failing that we could always teach people to look before they cross a road.

And at $20'000 USD for 13 seconds it's a huge waste of money, better to run down a few idiots and improve the gene pool.

MonKey

apc

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Holy crap! Does it say it costs that much in the video? I can't watch it from here.

Alright. Yeah, just let the kids die.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   
We have those grid marks on the shoulder side of the road to 'wake up people nodding off. Some grids are located just before a stop sign or major intersection. It's a warning beacon of some sorts.

The engineering concept reminds me of those old time Music Box Cylinders, except on a bigger scale.

The vid was pretty amazing!

new topics

top topics

join