It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time travel (Explain This To Me!!)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I was watching the science channel yesterday and it was talking about time travel. I really dont understand how this is possible. How if you go faster than the speed of light do you go further in time? Please someone help me out with this time travel stuff. Please post everything that is known about it .... thanks a bunch

[Edited on 2-4-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
It is impossible to travel the speed of light...so therefore you can't travel forward in time, at least with this method.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
According to Micheal Crichton, Time travel can't work because Time is just an idea, nothing more.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
You dont go futher in time you go backwards. As you approach the speed of light you go into the future when you break the speed of light you go back in time.

According to enstien you cant do this but his theroys are being called into doubt buy some today

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Yes they said we will never be able to travel in a ship at the speed of light but they were talking about some guy i cant remember about projecting your mind or something like that

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
You dont go futher in time you go backwards. As you approach the speed of light you go into the future when you break the speed of light you go back in time.

According to enstien you cant do this but his theroys are being called into doubt buy some today

Wait a minute, doesn't time freeze at the speed of light or was it the horizon of black hole?

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   

i came to this realization after a spiritual experience, and have somehow just *known* it to be true ever since. it just makes sense.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Its the horizon of a black hole

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
If time travel could happen there would be tampering with the time line and modification of events. Time ia an abstraction of the biological function of aging.It is a product of awareness and in reality does not exist. Time travel is mental conumdrun full of fun and not to be take as fact or even potential.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Albert Einstein was the first to show in his Theory of Relativity that time was not, in fact, a smooth river - constant in its flow, but something that could be affected by motion and by gravity - an effect known as time dilation. Einstein did not consider time and the three spatial dimensions as being separate, but as being linked to form a four-dimensional quantity known as space-time.

Einstein's theories of relativity have been proved by numerous experiments, including one in 1971 in which highly accurate atomic clocks were placed aboard two high-speed aircraft, with another one at an airbase. Despite staying in the same location, the ground clock was not stationary, since it was travelling at the same rate as the Earth spins. One aircraft flew eastwards from the base, travelling in the rotational direction of the earth and so moving faster than the ground clock, while the other flew westwards and so moved relatively slower.

After the flight, the eastbound aircraft's clock had lost time relative to a ground-based atomic clock, while the opposite was true of the westbound aircraft's timepiece.

Now take those watches to the light speed level. You travel across the galaxy and back at lightspeed. The watches would be way off.
Off by years...but then that gets really deep.

Event Horizon = The outer edge of the hole, because no knowledge of events beyond it can ever be passed to the outside world.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"i came to this realization after a spiritual experience, and have somehow just *known* it to be true ever since. it just makes sense"

I dont know about that but according to most if not all phyisists its true.

Tests done with space travel have proved part of it but until we break the speed of light we will never know about the other

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I can't get my head around us physically moving through time, but does anyone think that it could be possible for us to view the past or future by manipulating light?
We can already slow light down and speed it up. Surely that would be the easiest option , to move the light instead of our selves, after all if there are dangers in us physically timetravelling and causing paradoxes, then wouldn't that be safer?
Isn't the reason that we want to travel back in time, to find out about past events. Do we really have to go there if we could just watch it from the present?

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I guess we can see the past, if we just find that light, which is impossible. Does light have energy that makes it travel around? If so, does it run out of it eventually.

It is not possible to see the future, because the future hasn't happened yet.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   

guess we can see the past, if we just find that light, which is impossible.

Not really you do it every time you look at the stars. And to a lesser extent the planets.

Some of the ones we see died millions of years ago.

When we look at the closest star we do not see it now we see it about 4 years ago.

I think Mars is like a few minutes ago.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Not really you do it every time you look at the stars. And to a lesser extent the planets.
Some of the ones we see died millions of years ago.
When we look at the closest star we do not see it now we see it about 4 years ago.
I think Mars is like a few minutes ago.

I am talking about the specifi light we want to see.

I suppose Mars is only minutes because Sun's light reaches us in 7 minutes, and Mars is closer than Sun.

So Sun's light must reach us in less than 7 mintues.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
wouldn't the light from all past events, obviously those that happened outdoors , still be radiating out into space somewhere? Wouldn't it be amazing if we could recapture them somehow.
I'm probably totally wrong about that though, I'm not much of a scientist.
can anybody answer the question of what happens to the light? Would it just bounce around in the atmosphere and get jumbled up?

xn

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Near the speed of light, time slows down. Also weight increases, so you would need even more energy to move faster. At the speed of light, time stops. Light is the boundery of the universe. Going into the future is easier than the past. For example if you go near the speed of light, you'll feel time moving along normally, but when in fact it's actually moving slower. It'll be moving so slow and the rest of the universe will move at the normal speed. When you finally stop going that speed, you'll notice that everything's changed. This is how I believe time travel to the future is possible. Time travel to the past is much more complex.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I think that light is bend by space matter, so the light that leaves you now will come back to you one day.

We think that quasars are what we were a long time ago.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
xn why at the speed of light does time stop i dont understand. All that would happen is you are moving very fast and everything normal. Please explain this lol sorry I just dont understand

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Even light has a mass and experiences friction, so no light is not the fastest possible speed. It is however an ideal speed.

Time is an idea not really a reality. The time on a clock is the measurement of the earth's rotation on it's x axis and a calendar records the orbit around the sun. Time is an abstract idea, we cannot define it

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join