It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Burnt foods' linked to cancers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 03:03 AM
link   

'Burnt foods' linked to cancers

news.bbc.co.uk

Women who eat crisps or chips every day may double their chances of ovarian or womb cancer, say scientists.

The fears surround acrylamides, chemicals produced when you fry, grill or roast a wide range of foods.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Damnit! Everything leads to cancer. Now I can't enjoy a good grilled chicken sandwich without having to worry about my ovar... oh wait. This seems to only affect women.

Does this mean us guys can continue having our Sunday barbecues? (except you folks in the EU who have to pay a 'carbon-tax')

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 03:17 AM
link   
LOL shows how smart my granny really was.

when i was a wee lad, she had burned a pizza pretty bad and i wanted to eat it anyway. "oh goodness with all that cabon on there you'd end up with cancer"

i stil like my popcorn slightly burned

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Yeah, no doubt Native Americans carefully monitored their food when they cooked it over the fire to prevent it from getting charred, knowing that eating crisp food would drastically shorten their lives.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

Does this mean us guys can continue having our Sunday barbecues?

No you can't have your BBQ. A study came out years ago linking polycyclicaromatic hydrocarbons to cancer.

Apparently the scorched parts of the meat on a BBQ will kill you, but hey, just being alive is a risk to your health.

yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com...

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 03:38 AM
link   
This info has been out there some time. I will continue to eat my crispy chicken, pork, beef anyway. If it takes my life, I die happy

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Yeah, I was thinking the same, several years actually...
Remember the first time I heard about it was during a grill party during summer where we talked about the danger of burning you grilled food too much because of the cancer danger.
Since then I basicly just fry it that much less to avoid the blackness of the burn.

Nasty how our body can react to something like this... I wish i understood it a lot better.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

Apparently the scorched parts of the meat on a BBQ will kill you, but hey, just being alive is a risk to your health.

Noooo, say it ain't so.

The 'scorched' parts are the best pieces. lol

I too heard of this many moons ago, deep down in side I had always hoped someone would come forward and debunk the studies, alas... not going to happen.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Yes, it many, many moons --in fact years ago-- the suspecion between cancer and fried food first was published. It's more than 15 years ago I first heard about it, and I haven't changed my diet of well baked (you can call them burned)chapaties/roti and hard fried vegies, and when I eat a steak I can't stand the surface looks like baby skin.

I have never changed my diet in accordance to the voice from the mountain ...should I now the scientific proof (another one)?

I'm counting on my unique gene composition will protect me.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Beachcoma.... I'm not going to say it. I'm not!

But, I will say, the further we stray from nature, the more detrimental the affects on our health will be.

A good life and good health is very simple to see. I don't know why people can't.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:39 AM
link   

I'm counting on my unique gene composition will protect me.

hehehehehehe

no way Khun, all that food is eeeevilll I tells ya....you eat it you will suffer the wrath of the scientists and vegans and all those other fringe folk...

And then where will you be ?

Seriously, I won't give up charcoaled meat even if it meant 5 yrs or even more off my life expectancy...

Its a raw, primal thing...Blokes hovering over a BBQ with a stubby in hand, talking about cricket or footy or whatever...

Its an institution on a worldwide scale...

No scientist or nutritionist is going to take us down !!!

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Rilence

you bash Veganism one more time and we're going to have problems!

Jokes.

Edit: It's late and I'm becoming incoherent.

[edit on 5-12-2007 by DeadFlagBlues]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:44 AM
link   
yes. I learned this in a college health class about 10 years ago. but I will give you a star for effort.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

hehehehehehehehehe

Nah, I joshin bout the veganism bit...that's all cool to me...

I'm just a primal animal who loves his BBQ

You reckon you're incoherent...Try near midnight with a bottle or two of red down

Peace

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Rilence

Hahahaha.. I feel ya.

I'd be lying if I didn't say my mouth waters every now and again when the neighbors are barbequeing. I do miss the taste of a Santa Maria Tri-tip or Pueblano Chicken, but I'm not one to back out of a commitment.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   
my nephew eats meat every single day! I keep telling him he's going to get cancer that way. he eats it rare, but still, cooked meat everyday will eventually give you cancer.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Used to really enjoy my home charcoal grilled burgers and steaks till I was told about beta-pyrenes being claimed to be carcinogenic.

Did I say used to?

I ignored them because they taste so good - you only live once before something gets you anyway. Not planning on being the healthiest person underground you know.

new topics

top topics

join