It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

oxygen and carbon found on planet too hot though

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- The Hubble Space Telescope has detected oxygen and carbon in the atmosphere of a distant planet, the first time these elements have been found around a world outside our solar system, scientists said on Monday.

Unlike Earth, the planet is a hot, gassy orb very close to its sun-like star, and the oxygen and carbon are not signs of any sort of life, Hubble scientists said in a statement.
Still, astronomers said Hubble's findings show that the chemical composition of atmospheres of planets many light-years away can be measured.

The planet -- known as HD 209458b or Osiris -- is orbiting a star 150 light-years from Earth. A light-year is about 6 trillion miles (10 trillion km), the distance light travels in a year.

Osiris is only 4.3 million miles (6.92 million km) from its star -- compared with Earth's 93 million miles (150 million km) from the sun -- and whips around in an orbit of less than four days.

It belongs to a class of planets called "hot Jupiters," whose upper atmosphere is so hot it boils hydrogen off into space.

NASA announced last month that it would not send a previously scheduled servicing mission to Hubble, effectively consigning the orbiting telescope to a slow death.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
If im not mistaken, to have carbon you would had to have life, please corect me if i am wrong. Maybe the planet became to hot after globle warming or something.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
If im not mistaken, to have carbon you would had to have life, please corect me if i am wrong. Maybe the planet became to hot after globle warming or something.

thats possible, i'm not too sure if you have to have life to make carbon...When you look at all the great things the Hubble Telescope has found, it really pisses me off because they're just going to let it go to waste...

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
its really close to their star so its probably too hot for humans but that doesnt mean something else cant be living their

top topics

join