It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Map named America is a puzzle for researchers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
My Personal Opinion

Besides the vikings I have never heard any accounts of Europeans arriving

before 1492 in North America.

Anything is possible though!!!

Possibly they met an extinct tribe and their accounts were laughed off as the

ravings of madmen!!

who knows? probably nobody thats who LOL.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
reply to post by apc

That makes sense for Costa Rica. Rich coast. What about Africa and America?

In Latin-based languages, most nouns are either feminine or masculine. In most cases, the "a" ending denotes a "feminine word" and the "o" ending denotes a "masculine word". It's nothing more than that.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
There's the idea of cultural diffusion, where some people believe that in prehistory trade existed between many of the developed cultures, as well as expeditions that raveled across great distances. The only proof of the idea is mainly in circumstantial evidence.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Looks like somen leaked the Pentagon's top secret map of pre-emptive strikes. Thank god they left us off.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Great find, great map. I'm a 'cartophilic' and I have saved this one to my map folder.

Does anybodey have a link to high-res copy of it?

One think I wonder why is Greenland left out. Last record of contact with the Norse settlement is from 1402. Should have been remembered in 1507.

For the continent down under another century is to pass before it is seen by a 'white man'.

BTW, I think it is authentic (look at N America) but why Greenland is left out puzzles me.

apc

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Here's the best I have found.

upload.wikimedia.org...

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

Thanks apc

Now I can read the names.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
GREAT find OP!

Very very interesting. Reminds me of the "Sea Kings" ancient maps that were purportedly several thousand years old (if I remember correctly), yet, were astonishingly accurate.

I need to try to find something about that. The source I remember reading the story in was from the 70s so I'm sure there are some updates on them by now.

Jasn

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Ame rica
Af rica
Costa Rica

There's something interesting about that naming convention. Did rica mean land? Af = aft = below. Africa = land below. Costa = Costal. Costa Rica = Coastal Land. I've read before that Ame-rica just meant "furthest land". Any truth in that? Any language buffs around here with an opinion on that?

I looked into some of the etymology of Africa just using Wikipedia, 'cause it's handy. Apparently "Africa" is the roman version of the "Afri" or "Ifriqiya" tribes around Carthage (Tunisia) and "-ca" which is latin for "land". There are other possibilities too.Source. Another Source.

The name "America" is apparently just the latinization of Amerigo Vespucci's given name. Source.

As was posted before, "Costa Rica" is Spanish for "rich coast". Source.

Hope this helps.

[edit on 5-12-2007 by ArbitraryGuy]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   
The assumption of a large ocean before the discovery of the Pacific makes sense.

It has been known by traders since almost the time of Alexander the Great that Asia had a sea to the East. If one travels West from Europe and encounters an impassible Eastern coast which is not that of Asia, one can only conclude that there must be another ocean west of that new land which accounts for Asia also having an extensive Eastern coast.

As the artical says, politics would explain the change. The Vatican's favor for Portugal in territorial matters is what forced Spain to seek a way to Asia besides around Africa. Spain's little discovery, and other factors, did begin to tip the scales eventually.

I'm less certain as to how the accuracy of South America was so much more advanced that that of North America, but then the map isn't totally unique in that respect (the Piri Reis map depicts South America rather well, with the minor problem of the coast being turned 90 at one point to circumvent the need for another page). I suppose that if you were good at trig and had enough reports though, you might be able to get pretty close with a little luck.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Err guys can someone xoom into that link apc put up and tell me what is in the med off northern Italy please.

I'm concerned not but howmuch the map maker got right in America but by the amount he got wrong.

Britian's isn't right Coastline in Arabia isn't right why are those lakes in africa ?

Also found this link on translation of the latin

[edit on 5-12-2007 by puzzled2]

[edit on 5-12-2007 by puzzled2]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
Anyone know if there is any truth to the Templar Legends about the Western land La Merica and it connections to Scottish expeditions possibly before Columbus?

That might be the actual origin of the name America.

Are you referring to Brendan? He was Irish.

Saint Brendan of Clonfert or Bréanainn of Clonfert (c. 484 – c. 578) called "the Navigator", "the Voyager", or "the Bold" is one of the early Irish monastic saints whose legends have overshadowed their history. He is chiefly renowned for his semi-legendary quest to the Isle of the Blessed.

en.wikipedia.org...

This voyage was the subject of a re-creation by Tim Severin.

Severin has recreated a number of legendary voyages and journeys in order to determine how much of the legends are based on factual experience.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Brendan Voyage 1978 ISBN 0380437112 (UK paperback)
Sailing a leather currach from Ireland to Newfoundland

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Flagged. I can't wait to see if this is proven to be true or not. If so, then it could be history changing.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Perhaps the person who did this map was a psychic? Perhaps the map was a prediction.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Seeing the high resolution photo now, there doesn't seem to be anything to "puzzle researchers". It doesn't name the land America, it names the map maker "Americi Vespucci". It's right there in a banner behind his head and at the foot of the document. The American continent is un-named as far as I can tell.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

It appears on the 16th photograph of the images linked from the original article.

The name America clearly is printed in what is South America, and later the name was also given to North America.

[edit on 12/5/2007 by Hal9000]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by HowlrunnerIV

I was referring to the legendary Scottish expedition supposedly involving surviving (after the Church dissolved the order) members of the Knights Templar, but this new info about an Irish expedition is pretty interesting.

[edit on 5/12/07 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Do a little reading on China's fleets which were disbanded and destroyed after the eunuch's took control of China.

China had been all over the world for quite some time before Europe...according to some.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Nice!

Given what Europeans are believed to have known about the world at the time, it should not have been possible for the mapmakers to produce it, he said.

I've long thought this was incorrect. According to many researchers mankind has had an active and international trading network for a long, long time. We already know that the Scandinavians were in North America before Columbus, and there is also evidence that ancient mariners from Asia landed on the west-coast of North America.

I don't have any proof or corroborating evidence for this theory however it makes sense to me that that is how all the little Pacific Islands got populated: Asians in boats. I really ought to read the standard & accepted wisdom on how the native peoples in Hawaii came to be there.

Marg Said:

Or we can just give the credit for the 500 year map accuracy to Aliens.

Why? Not that I don't think this is possible because I do. But I don't think it was necessary. In my very, very humble opinion we had the knowledge to do this ourselves. Now detailed Sumerian maps of the Solar System including Pluto etc are another matter.

khunmoon said:

BTW, I think it is authentic (look at N America) but why Greenland is left out puzzles me.

Maybe that little island far in the north all by itself between Europe & America is Greenland? Or is that supposed to be Iceland? Pretty small representation, obviously but so is the drawing of North America.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   

reply to post by apc

That makes sense for Costa Rica. Rich coast. What about Africa and America?

Aftrica has gold,oil, and gems- diamonds so that would equal wealth.

America has gold,Government has most of that- oil- government has most of that too, diamonds, (yes diamonds from Arkansas,) gems- rubies sapphires, etc

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join