It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New AIDS Mystery: Prostitutes Who Have Remained Immune

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
query.nytimes.com...

"One of the mysteries of the AIDS epidemic is that a small number of female prostitutes in Africa seem resistant to the virus that causes the disease even though they often have sex with infected men.

Despite an intensive search for immunologic explanations, none have been found.

Now an even more baffling finding has turned up in a study of 1,900 prostitutes in Nairobi, Kenya. Four of them became infected with H.I.V., the virus that causes AIDS, but only after they stopped working as prostitutes or took breaks of two months or more, leaders of the study reported at the Seventh Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections, which ended here today.

Scientists cannot explain this seeming paradox but say the answer could affect development of an AIDS vaccine."

www.thebody.com...

www.globalaging.org...

I never thought i'd see the day when prostitutes could be heroes.....

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Fascinating indeed. Check out the linked article in this thread 'cause I think part of the answer lies in there.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Its a gene that some woman have, like in europe during the black death, A portion of the population had what is known in science if i remember right the (p) gene, it kept man in history, plus a little praying help

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 02:28 AM
link   
does this mean prostitutes in other countries would have an imune system to aids?

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

yeak thanks fo r the link "Beachcoma" it's quite interesting

"The Institut Gustave Roussy, the Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center and elsewhere are now hard at work bringing back deadly plagues from the past! " how about it..lol

well what can you do...?

Scientists are trying to figure out the cure, and now they're doing this...

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by andre18

Much of the stories you hear about AIDS are lies which have been put forward by the Medical Mafia Cartel.

Contrary to popular belief, HIV is not necessary to explain acquired immune deficiency and the illnesses associated with AIDS. To understand why this is so, it is first necessary to understand what AIDS is. AIDS is not a new disease or illness; it is a new name or designation for 29 previously known diseases and conditions. As the NIH states in its comprehensive report on AIDS, "the designation 'AIDS' is a surveillance tool." Since 1981, the surveillance tool AIDS has been used to track and record familiar diseases when they appear in people who have tested positive for antibodies associated with HIV.
The AIDS virus hypothesis supposes that the health problems renamed AIDS develop as a result of infection with HIV; that the virus somehow disables the body's defense system that protects against opportunistic illness, allowing the development of one or more of 29 diseases, such as yeast infection, certain cancers, pneumonia, salmonella, diarrhea, or tuberculosis, which are then diagnosed as AIDS. However, every AIDS indicator disease occurs among people who test HIV negative, none are exclusive to those who test positive and all AIDS diseases existed before the adoption of the name "AIDS."
Prior to the designation AIDS, these 29 diseases were not thought to have a single, common cause. In fact, all have recognized causes and treatments that are unrelated to HIV. For example, yeast infection is a widespread problem due to an imbalance of natural bacteria. The yeast infections that occur in people who test HIV positive and in people who test HIV negative are caused by the same imbalance of natural bacteria. All the opportunistic illnesses called AIDS have various, medically proven causes that do not involve HIV.

Immune deficiency can be acquired by several risk factors that are not infectious or transmitted through blood or blood products.

Probably the 2 best books on the market discussing the truth about AIDS, and well worth reading if you wish to learn more about that subject
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_3/105-1620872-3246834?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193146316&sr=1-3

www.amazon.com...

[edit on 12-12-2007 by golddragnet]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
the more active you are, the stronger your immune system is. prostitutes that have sex like 40 times a day have stronger immune systems, now once they retire, and have sex once in a while, they are more likely to recieve the virus

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by uneaq

Yeah it does not really work that way. And active exposre to HIV does not really result in a ramped up immune system, it simply results in HIV infection.

The other possibility though remote is that these group of women are from the deep end of the gene pool in terms of resistance. I admit its pretty slim, but if I were an AIDS researcher, I would pay these women whatever $$$$$$$$$ they want and move them into a lab for further study (with thier consent of cource) Its an anomaly that is worth looking into IMHO

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
is it true that sharks are imune to all viruses becuase

scientists could use the DNA some how to make people always aids free

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark_Ace
is it true that sharks are imune to all viruses becuase

scientists could use the DNA some how to make people always aids free

I have never heard this theory, where did you find this at?

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
i think i found a link to what i mean

www.associatedcontent.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I heard something along the lines of the SHARK THEORY too. But here's the simple answer: elevated levels of a component of the human immune system known as cytotoxic T-lymphocyte cells, the "killer T-cells" that fight the virus most effectively...just as it says in the article....The bigger question is WHY or HOW does it happen for these PROS?

The implication that they're constantly building up ANTIBODIES cause they're still working makes sense to me. It's simply an ADAPTATION of some people. In other words, it's somewhat like having the SICKLE CELL TRAIT instead of the SICKLE CELL ANEMIA.

Now, after they retire. The main reason they would turn around and start PRESENTING for AIDS would be more due to catching a DIFFERENT STRAIN from a customer than due to a REDUCTION in T-CELLS floating around in the bloodstream....Let's be real. There are different strains of what's causing AIDS going around. And it's my theory that these PROSTITUTES are proof of that.

WHITE BLOOD CELLS are DISEASE SPECIFC. They manufacture ANTIBODIES for any major occurence in the body. If too many illnesses start showing up, they get overwhelmed--next thing u know,your DEFENSE SYSTEM starts shutting down....

or If they're already FIGHTING a major battle inside your body and then another POWERFUL strain of disease comes along--like with the PROS, it's gonna open the door to being SYMPTOMATIC or worse, ACUTE...

I repeat some corrupt international group of countries are MANUFACTURING a VARIETY of STRAINS of AIDS. And THAT'S where the problem is.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
That is something.....

First prostitutes in Africa are immune to aids, now sharks.....

Actually are sharks immune to aids or just what was said from the link?

new topics

top topics

join