It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a question, how do I remove myself from the christian faith?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I was baptized, and born a christian. The fact is though I never believed in any of it and frankly think it unfair to be deemed christian without my consent. I am an atheist and I'm wondering how you go about removing yourself form chrisitanity, I just dont want to have anything to do with or have any association with the religion, thanks for your help to whoever answers!

[edit on 4-12-2007 by Astral Twilight]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Well i was the same as you, but it only came once i was around 12 or so...but i went into the occult from there, first fooling around and then rather more heavily from around 18 or so, i have renounced christianity and god, and i can tell u that it always sticks with you in some way or another, it has been indoctrinated in you from birth and not easy to get rid of at all...good luck, but good choice...

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   
If you do not believe, just don't care. Anyway you're already saved, as you're the living product of a 13 billions years universe that you didn't created and which decided to offer you to partake the marvel of life.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:50 AM
link   
You don't really have to do anything once you've made your decision. It's not like checking out of a hotel or anything. Once you realize that religion is all b/s created by man to control others in one way or another, all you need to do is stop letting it dictate how you live your life.

There are things you can do to declare your new independence; tell your friends and family, burn some bibles, crucify some hippies, whatever floats your boat...

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Move to a non-Christian country.

I recommend Japan, though Thailand is quite nice this time of year.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Say the following words out loud.

"I damn you Jesus! You were a simple human and have no power over me. and from now onward, I do not follow your word"

[edit on 4-12-2007 by jedimiller]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Join the club & just be your true self. As much as you can without losing your job, loved ones or being arrested. If that requires moving out of nutcaseville or brainwash city then do so.

I can remember as a child thinking to myself, while watching all these nut cases talking to someone who isn't there. WTF - either they are completely nuts or something is wrong with me cause god's not talking back or at least I haven't mastered the creation of voices in my head yet. Then I thought how much longer should I go along with this charade, will I someday convince myself otherwise and become like them?

I always wondered if they're such great humanitarians how come there's so many perverts who hide among them? If there so giving why do they live in such nice houses & drive such nice cars, while there's still poor people living on the streets? They could drive a $500 rambler instead of a $50k Cadillac and feed 25 extra families a year, but the fact is most of them choose to drive the new Cad if they have the option. Didn't make sense when I was a child & don't makes sense now.

Take the learning experience with you and the good you've leaned & continue your life. If what you left behind is truely right you always have the option of going back.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
Say the following words out loud.

"I damn you Jesus! You were a simple human and have no power over me. and from now onward, I do not follow your word"

[edit on 4-12-2007 by jedimiller]

Why damn someone that has no proof of existing?

Back to OP:
Think of baptizing as nothing more than a bath. I mean it's really nothing if you think about it and it only has meaning if you give it to it. I never understood how it really works and saw it as nothing more than another religious bs so to speak.

Live in the present, hope for the future and leave the past where it belongs. Life is what you make it.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 04:17 AM
link   
i rebuke this thread and all athiests in the name of god , but i still love joo

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kis11
i rebuke this thread and all athiests in the name of god , but i still love joo

See, this is the type of thing I just don`t miss about living in a Christian country.

It just doesn`t happen here. You can walk around all day, happily being an atheist and absolutely no one stops you to "rebuke" you for it.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astral Twilight
I was baptized, and born a christian.

[edit on 4-12-2007 by Astral Twilight]

No-one is born a Christian. And being baptized doesn't make you a Christian.

Now, regarding 'getting away' from God........you can't.

He will continue to 'hound' you until the day you die. Relentlessly.

There is nowhere you can escape from Him or His Presence. He will always have a witness, to witness to your spirit that He is real, and that He is God. He will continue to search for you like the Shepherd seeking His sheep. He will continue to call out to you, in His love. He will continue to say to you:

"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock."

And there is nothing that you can do about it, except to continue ignoring His call and His claim upon your life. But He will continue to call, nevertheless.

And He will continue to do this until either you respond and open the door, or until you die, at which point you will wholeheartedly wish that you had responded.

God bless you.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   
You are not born Christian , you born human.
Everything that contribute to enchain you is to be reject from heart.
Don’t reject any notion of a wide existence because this could come back to haunt you.
I don’t know if god exist and I don’t know if "it" doesn't exist.
How can we answer this above enigma when philosopher argue about our own existence.

kacou

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
Move to a non-Christian country.

I recommend Japan, though Thailand is quite nice this time of year.

Speaking of Japan they have Missionaries there. (My sister and her husband.)

And JediMiller cursing Jesus isn't a very good idea.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   

I am an atheist and I'm wondering how you go about removing yourself form chrisitanity

Oh this is an easy one. Glad to help-

Hominahomina dominus vobiscum >not< alakaZOT!

There you go.

Actually you can't be "deemed Christian without your consent". Any more than you can be deemed non-Christian by popular acclimation. [Okay technically you can be "deemed" all sorts of things, by any number of people and groups, many of them inevitably inaccurately]. I'd ask who does this "deeming" that you're specifically concerned about, and why you'd even care, but no matter. Press on.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
my advice was going to be simply "just stop going to church and do things the way you want". seems like others had generally the same idea. it's not the mafia. they won't put you in cement shoes and make you sleep with the fishes. if you've decided that it's not right for you then you shouldn't let anyone tell you you're wrong. if you're confronted, just have the attitude of respecting their beliefs and that their faith adds value or purpose to their lives, but they need to respect your decision to find your own way.

i personally feel more comfortable with my relationship with "god" now than i did when i was part of a religion. he hasn't smitten me with a lightening bolt, inflicted some sickness, twisted fate to make me lose everything i own and end up in a box in an alley...i think as long as i make an honest attempt to be a decent person and be thankful for what i have then i'm doing my part. i think any god should be satisfied with that and if nothing else it's an attitude that isn't a detriment to society.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Just don't go to church on Sunday and don't participate in any religious activities if you don't want to. You can still celebrate holidays with your family if you want, just think of them as a day you are spending with your family rather than it being a religious experience for you.

If your family and christian friends hound you or try and "save" you, politely hold your ground and stand by your beliefs, at the same time respecting their right to have their beliefs.

You'll be fine.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidian
Just don't go to church on Sunday and don't participate in any religious activities if you don't want to. You can still celebrate holidays with your family if you want, just think of them as a day you are spending with your family rather than it being a religious experience for you.

If your family and christian friends hound you or try and "save" you, politely hold your ground and stand by your beliefs, at the same time respecting their right to have their beliefs.

You'll be fine.

I think this is some of the best advice ever!

As for me, I just decided one day that I wasn't Christian. I'm Wiccan (yes, I know it's a made-up new age religion and I still enjoy it.) Sometimes it's a bit hard to walk away from things (it can be hard to say "I'm agnostic" or "I'm atheist.) I suggest you also check out some of these fun pseudo-religions... folks are never sure what to think if you tell them you're a "Pastafarian". My hubby's a Pastafarian.
en.wikipedia.org...

www.venganza.org...

Or do like many Brits do, and put your faith down as "Jedi."
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   
You already did by being an atheist.

There is nothing more you need to do, you have already ceased to be a Christian.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Kacen

I must agree.

(In humor)
Unless we are specifically talking about the symbiote from Spider Man III, the process of joining something is usually much more effort-intensive than the process of leaving something.

If you:
(1) Refrain from going to church
(2) Refrain from calling yourself a Christian
(3) Refrain from thinking about Christ or Christianity

Then you're probably already there...

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I was baptized, and born a christian. The fact is though I never believed in any of it and frankly think it unfair

If after you came of age you didn't believe that Jesus was your savior then I would suggest you were never a Christian to begin with.

Hope you find your peace friend.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join