It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time slips, anyone?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by solidgroundcafe

There is another explanation (apart from the more mundane one that you were, for some reason, unusually absorbed in your own thoughts) - not necessarily the one that I would offer, mind you, but one that is becoming increasingly popular (ah, signs of the times...! ; ))

Namely, that he somehow became, well... invisible.

As I said, it is not an explanation that I favour - especially not in the light of the fact that he apparently called you, aloud.

In fact, I wouldn't have even considered it once upon a time... i.e. before the time when yours truly apparently became - well, invisible. Whatever it was, lasted only or a very short period of time (I'd say 5 - 10 seconds, tops) - but there was a group of 9 (nine) people, all of them my acquaintances, standing together, all around me; at least three or four of them were facing me directly, with no more than two meters of space between us. And yet, they were asking where I was... (And no, it was most definitely NOT a prank - it wasn't that sort of situation.)

But even if 'invisibility' does exist, it doesn't sound right in the case you described.

Go figure...

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

[
My brother is constantly asking me about events and people in our past and I have no idea what or who he's talking about.

How about ASKING him...?

Really - do it for us, if not for your own benefit. ; )

I have asked him. I can usually remember details such as the location, the time period, and things leading up to or away from the incident, but things like People, or actions that sound like something we or I would do are totally foriegn to me. The way he talks about them, you'd think I hung out with these people a lot.

These conversations usually happened during holiday meals while we're spending the day together and are just talking about whatever. But I don't spend many hoildays with the family anymore. If it happens again though, I guess I should keep a log. Something I started doing a while ago for other weird events. That is, "if I remember this convesation or Website ever happened.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
I don't know how you are going to differentiate between real, perceived real & made up for other purposes.

Good question.

Let's start with the last category: the made-up accounts.
First of all, they are considerably more rare (which doesn't equal non-existent, of course) than one would tend to assume. And that is because they require some effort and time - and all for no palpable 'reward'.

The only people who would find such an activity rewarding in itself - for the mere pleasure of lying - would basically fall into two categories:

a) pathological liars (not ALL that common)

and

b) peculiarly unfortunate pseudo-skeptics who feel that, by making up accounts of "paranormal" events (as they perceive them), they are somehow "proving" (to themselves, of course) that "it's ALL" hogwash.

Oh and puerile pranksters (usually adolescents), of course.
What applies to the pseudo-skeptics usually applies to them, too.
(And they are really not that difficult to tell apart from the genuine accounts.)

The thing is, when you know - as I do - that events such as we're discussing in this thread DO exist (I mean as legitimately - 'scientifically', at least by today's standards - inexplicable phenomena), you don't need ALL of the accounts you are gathering to be legitimate.
(And the flaky ones can be weeded out rather reliably - but that's fodder for an entire thread of its own.)

As to perceived vs. 'real'... It's the details (their amount AND precision) what helps to establish the difference, of course.

Needless to say, a proper investigation would involve a painstaking, hands-on, direct, up-close examination of the phenomenon (and of the one who reported it) to rule out every possible mundane explanation.

But we aren't quite there yet here, so let's leave it at that... ; )

As to your experience... It is very similar to one of the most remarkable ones I ever had. Mine didn't involve recorders: only a TV set and a PC and no less than THREE independent clocks - all of them supposedly accurate (certainly synchronised).

All I did was get up from my sofa and walk to my kitchen - three meters. And yet, somehow, twenty minutes of my time just vanished along the way...

More on that some other time. ; )

[edit on 5-12-2007 by Vanitas]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by gwhint

Hello Gwhint -

this extraordinary event seems to be an obvious case of an external 'intervention' of sorts, i.e. it's not your usual 'time slip'.

But since it does involve time, I find it fascinating!

Have you reported it on any of the (governmental and non-governmental) websites that systematically collect such data? There seems to be a massive amount of experiences more or less similar to yours.

Anyway, it's certainly an extraordinary event, by any definition of the word.

Has your subsequent life, or your personality, been in any way affected by it?
(I mean, beyond the obvious - baffling, confusing - effect of having experienced something so extraordinary.)

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   
There is an area here in Liverpool which quite a few people have recorded time slips, off the top of my head i know of 4, it occurs in an area of liverpool called Bold Street a little girl once was lost after she was found she told a story of being taken into a church by an old man there was a full service going on and she said all the people where dressed in olden days clothes, she was returned to her mother by an old lady who vanished into the building in question thing is the church is a memorial from ww2 its all bombed out and preserved no way in,

there are reports of people near the church finding themselves in the 1960's and 70's some for hours and when they return to where it happened they are back to present day.

all of these things are recorded by a local writer called tom slemen

www.slemen.com

if you do some research on his work you will find the events im talking about.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

That is extraordinary.
Although there seems to be quite a lot going on in certain parts of the USA, judging by the accounts I've encountered... Some of the reports (especially from the northern parts of the USA) seem to be coming from places that were supposedly shunned by the native peoples of the areas in question.
An 'obvious '(?) explanation would be some geomagnetic activity, for example. (Which still wouldn't answer the HOW and WHY of the cases.)

Are there any such places - or the possibility of unusual magnetic activity - in the area where you experienced this phenomenon?

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by azzllin

Hey, I am so glad to read a report from Liverpool!

Alas, I've never been there - but I've certainly read about your mysteriously time-shifting streets... ; )
In fact, it's one of the places that intrigues me the most - precisely because so many events of the kind seem to have happened there.

Is anyone - preferably from the area - systematically collecting such accounts?
Have there been any in-depth investigations of the phenomena?

EDIT: Sorry - I seem to have missed the last part of your post!

Please, disregard the last two lines of mine... ; )

Thank you VERY MUCH for the pointer about Slemen's website.
I am headed there as we speak...

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by UnusualMe

This describes almost exactly what happened to me, as I briefly mentioned in an earlier post in this thread.

It happened on a summer mid-afternoon in 1999 or 2000. I was waiting, somewhat impatiently, for a re-run of a TV documentary which was scheduled to start about 25 minutes later.

I turned on the TV, checked the hour, checked whether there was any change in programming - no, there wasn't (checked it against the printed programming in the TV guides, too) - and turned it off again to do some work at the PC.

As I sat down to work, I checked the hour on my PC and on another clock in the living room. (Both were always on time.) I opened a document file... and closed it again, almost immediately (certainly before writing a single word) - I decided I was in no mood for work, after all.

So I got up, sat on the sofa and turned on the TV again - just in case... But of course the documentary I was waiting for was still some 20 minutes away, according to both the schedules and my clocks. And obviously there had been no sudden change in the programming; the channel where the documentary was coming up was still showing a different programme, exactly according to the schedule. I turned the TV off.
(Yes, I have this mania of never leaving the TV on if I am not watching - sue me. ; )

So I got up again and went to the kitchen, to have a drink - but not before checking the hour on my monitor screen and on the other clock. (Needlessly - about a minute, at most, had passed - but automatically.)

I crossed the two or three metres that separate my sofa from the kitchen. I opened the fridge, took out a drink, closed the fridge door and went back to the sofa. Still bored, I switched the TV on again... and there was my documentary, apparently WELL under way!

At first, I was incensed (at the TV station, for its highly irregular programming - or so I thought). I took the TV guide again, checked the schedule, checked the clocks... and discovered that, somehow - I have no idea how or when - 20 minutes had passed since I last checked the hour.

I was under no influence of drugs (don't use them), alcohol (I rarely keep even a drop of booze in my home, and that wasn't one of those rare occasions), or any type of medications. As far as I can remember, I had slept normally the night before.

The weather, BTW, wasn't unusual in any way - not that I can remember.
(I mention this because I have the suspicion that an electrically charged atmosphere is much more conducive to time/space anomalies.)

What happened there?

Or rather... HOW did it happen?

I have no idea.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I just remembered an incident that happened to me in 1975. I was going through Tech School at Lowry AFB in Denver Colorado. We were in class and someone mentioned that payday was on some day I can’t remember, but it was the 30th or 31st of some month. I said No it’s not, payday’s on the 1st. The whole class (about 8 people) looked at me and someone said No it’s not, it’s at the end of the month.

I was sure and stood my ground, something I rarely did. In those days, I was usually shy and withdrawn, but I felt strongly about this and was sure I was right. I said we always get paid on the 1st and the 15th of the month. By this time, they were all laughing at me. One of the guys even said What do you do when you cash your check at the end of the month, “Oh Look! I got Paid early!”

I was still sure that we had always gotten paid on the 1st and 15th, but after about 5 minutes of discussion where they all tried to convince me, the instructor got us back into training. Sure enough, pay day was at the end of the month and I went back to check all my Leave and Earning statements and they were all for the 15th and end of month. It was even listed as EOM Pay I believe.

A few years later, the Air Force did change it to the 1st and the 15th to “Reduce the fiscal years budget by not paying us for a 15 day period.” Of course this was all a bookkeeping trick and really didn’t save any money, just the perception of saving it.

Going back to my previous post, someone else mentioned something about these events being location specific. I’d never thought about but most of the incidents where my brother and I have different memories were in Page Arizona in 1973-74.

It wasn’t until years later that I found out Page was supposed to be a connection point for the underground transport system between Dulce and Area 51. There was a lot of worked being done by the Bectal (sp?) construction company at that time on the Navajo Generation Plant located outside of town.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

As you can gather from my posts, magnetic fields / forces are my pet theory, too.

And it makes sense.
(Although I must say I am slightly alarmed by the possible play of said forces in my humble kitchen...
)

But it doesn't mean, of course, that there is positively NO other explanation...

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I will tell this as it was told to me, simply for the fact that in some way it may have bearing on your area of interest here. I cannot vouch for any part of the story itself, but will say that I don't think these people were telling lies.

My brother-in-law is a fundamentalist preacher, and a life long advocate of telling the truth, even when a "white lie" would make more harmony in his world. His wife is the same way. And while I am not of their particular flavor of religion, I have no reason to think they would make up anything.

Being a part-time preacher is not monetarily rewarding, and so they seldom had "extra" cash. On the evening of this event, they had attended a revival some 100 miles from the town where both they and I resided. Jimmy called me up from a gas station and said they were on their way home and had run out of gas.

He told me that he only had enough money on him to get two gallons, which he would put in his (old gas guzzler) Buick and head towards home. He wanted me to meet him at a place we both knew about just over 60 miles from my house, and bring him some gas to get on home with. He said he was sure he could get that far, as two gallons would do the 40 miles.

Grumbling, I got out of bed on a cold Sunday night, when I had to work the next day, I made coffee and started my old pickup, made sure I had a can of gas, because nothing was open in that part of the Oklahoma panhandle, and set out to rescue him.

Back then (late 70s) there wasn't much traffic at 11:30 on a Sunday night in that part of the country, especially on a night when the temp was well below freezing, and the snow was blowing. So I was surprised to see a car coming just about three miles out of town, and slowed down because the road was slick. I recognized Jimmy's crapmobile easy enough, though he sailed past me like he didn't notice me.

I turned around and caught up with him just as he was slowing down for town, and followed him as he crept along to my house. I got out ready to be pretty upset for having been woke up for a wild goose chase, but when he got out he looked so shocked I forgot to be mad.

Him and his wife swore that only twenty minutes before, he had put the gas in the car and started out, with a 100 miles to go. In the snow at night, they hadn't noticed much until they pulled into our town, and they were amazed to not only have traveled so quickly, but to have done it on two gallons of gas.

Needless to say, they attributed it to divine help. I"m not given much to miracles, but how this happened I haven't a clue. As I say, I don't think they were lying, and I know there couldn't have even been a gas station open closer than the truck stop where he said he called from. I know that his old clunker couldn't ever get 50 miles to the gallon while traveling about 200mph!

So either this was right up there with turning water into wine, or something strange happened.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   

This experience seems to go against most of the other posts in this thread, in that we felt a backwards through time event. Anyone else ever experience a movement back through time, or what they perceived as one??

Thanks to Azzllin, who brought the website to out attention, here is something that might be of considerable interest to you (and to anyone interested in time-perception anomalies):

Voice from the Future

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Thank you ever so much, NGC.
That is a very interesting - and in many ways typical (which is not at all demeaning, quite the opposite) - experience of a time 'slip' or 'warp'.

I have no doubt that there were no lies involved.
Or mis-perception (of our ordinary time/space frame), for that matter.

Oh, and BTW: in my opinion, this definitely WAS 'up there with turning water into wine' - only, perhaps, not quite in the sense that they understood it. ; )
(But that, too, may be - in reality - much more a matter of pure semantic difference than is generally believed.)

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I've had a couple of occurrences that might be 'time glitches'. Here's one....

Years ago I had a 25 mile commute to school. The morning traffic was fairly light, and there were 'regulars' that I met each morning.......I could almost tell the time by a couple of them, ( say, if I met the woman in the little tan car at the river bridge, it was 8:15).

Then one morning I met her just as I left the city limits!!( 7-8 miles ahead of 'schedule')..... Thinking that I must be running horribly late, I quickly checked my watch.....but I was right on time.

As I neared the spot where I usually passed her, I again wondered why she might have been heading into town so early.....when I was amazed to see the same odd, little tan car heading toward me !! I slowed and stared at the driver.....yep, it was her....again!!

The poor woman must have thought I was an escaped nut!!.....I undoubtedly gaped at her with my mouth open and my eyes bugged out!!......(She returned my stare with a somewhat alarmed one of her own!!)

I continued to see her each morning as long as I was on the same class schedule.....And I couldn't resist staring at her each time we passed, even tho she always seemed to regard me with more than a little suspicion........

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Maybe these special locations have magnetic fields that operate like a psychotronic device and induce an altered state. Its possible that this might be the result of anomalous operation related to the concepts of Tay Al' Urd or "folding of the earth" of Islam

en.wikipedia.org...

or related to Kefitzat Haderech " Jumping the path" a miraculous shortening of travel time from Judaism.

Basically its not a recent phenomena and has been reported since Biblical times. I could get off on a Tangent about Faerie Lore and passage of time but i'll save it for another time.

[edit on 4/12/07 by MikeboydUS]

Thank you very much for reminding me of the ancient accounts, MikeBoyd.

I was superficially familiar with Mohamed's Night Journey - and, I must admit, I wasn't even aware of the "Jumping the path" in Judaism!
(I have a few "classic texts" on Kabbalah in my library; I think now the time has come to re-read them - or rather, to re-try to read them... ; ))

As to the Faerie Lore (I just love writing this term - it's such a delightful set of characters, if you know what I mean
)
, I am almost totally unfamiliar with it. But I assume the passage of time in it is the same as in various European folk tales (and some Asian tales, as far as I know) - about a hero or heroine who falls asleep, or goes on a 'short' journey, and in the meantime hundreds of years pass?

To tell you the truth, I find such ancient accounts, including folklore (of course), every bit - and more! - relevant as any modern report, not to mention the various investigative attempts.
(I think the reason for their "credibility", if you will, is rather obvious, so let's not go into unnecessary details right now.)

And I just remembered one such old folk tale - one of the lesser known - that might find its place on our blog...

The Bell of Germelshausen

Those familiar with the German-speaking cultures are probably familiar with it. Those who aren't, but like musicals and/or 1950's cinema, know it in the guise of its "scotticised" (and "hollywoodised") version: Brigadoon.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by frayed1

Yet another story about a "doubled" appearance...
(And I am sure they add an entirely new dimension to the term "double take"!
)

I find these particularly baffling - because they seem to 'imply' (to my as yet inadequatey wired perception) a very "fast-forward & rewind" projection of... whatever it is that is projecting and being projected.
There isn't really a qualitative difference between these and any other time 'glitches'; I suppose these are just more 'explicit', if you will...

Go figure.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
www.slemen.com...

The 'voice from the future' mentioned in the above, sounds somewhat similar to my other experience....

We were working in the backyard garden when we heard the sounds of a wreck out front....The screeching tires first, then a horrible grinding crash of metal on metal!!

We ran around the house to find nothing in the road......no car wreck, not even a vehicle driving past that could have lost a load in the road, no debris....nothing.

My husband, (former EMT) decided he needed to be sure the 'wreck' had not happened just around the curve, out of our sight....or perhaps on the back road behind the pasture. (We were still convinced we'd heard a wreck....there'd been others on our curvy road, some rather bad that had made less noise than we'd just heard!!)

He jumped in his car and headed around our 'country' block, a trip that would take about 10-12 minutes.....

As he pulled out of the drive, I returned to my work in the back yard......I had barely gotten to the garden when I again heard the screeching tires, and the horrible grinding crash!!

I tore back around the house, hardly knowing what to expect.....but this time there was solid evidence of what I'd heard. A Camaro and a poultry company feed truck (semi-size), had met up in the curve.....and the feed truck had been rear-ended by another vehicle !! ( Though the car was totaled, the occupants were unhurt except for cuts from flying glass.)

Moments later, when my husband pulled back into the drive he had a look of total disbelief on his face.......the wreck we'd heard 15 to 20 minutes earlier had (especially from his perspective) belatedly 'materialized' !

Was it a co-incidence? What 'purpose' could a 'preview' have served? A warning? A call for help to be ready? A trap ? We've often discussed that day, and we've 'worked' a good number of wrecks out front since, but no others have come with a 15 minute alert!?

[edit on 5-12-2007 by frayed1]

[edit on 5-12-2007 by frayed1]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

Thanks for responding Vanitas and to answer your questions, no I never reported my experiences until recently to anyone for fear of being labeled a crazy, because I was from the gov sector. Looking back I wish I would have and did this event change anything in my life, how about all of my life changed and what I was doing before this event is just a thing in my past and what I went into would blow your mind so the Pres candidate Kusinich and I are in total agreement on career steering in ones life.
Thanks for your post, gwhint

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
NGC2736’s story reminded me of my return trip from vacation, I passed a highway marker indicating 100, then later on I noticed I was passing mile marker 160. I knew it should have been going down, so I looked at the next few and confirmed that they were indeed, counting down. I drove for what I though couldn’t have been 10 or 20 miles and stopped in Effington for the night. The next morning, I noticed the marker leaving town indicated 98.

Could have been a misidentification of marker 180 but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t. If it had been 180 and I pulled over 20 miles later, I still should have had 160 miles to go. I wish I’d thought to keep better track of the markers. Add to it, I don’t even know why I pulled into the hotel in Effington. I wasn’t tired and it was about 5PM.

OT – Frayed1’s story reminded me of an incident at work. One morning a woman passed through the scanner along with a few others. No One set off the alarms so I didn’t think too much about it, but when I got to looking at the names, I noticed that one was missing for the women that had passed. Sometimes, they’ll go through so close that the scanner only thinks one did.

Then two or three days later, I noticed the same woman walking through. This time, I noticed for sure that she didn’t scan and still, no alarm went off. A man had gone through ahead of her and another man passed through behind her. I began yelling at the woman to come back. When I did, the first man had reached the inside plant doors and was holding one of them open. If he hadn’t, I could have locked the door remotely. But as I was yelling at her to come back, both men stopped and looked back at me, then at each other, then back at me, like I’d lost it.

The woman never missed a step and entered the plant walking right pass the man at the door. He didn’t even react as she passed. I thought to myself, was she even there? I chose not leave my post unattended to pursue her and since she technically never went through the gate, I wrote it off as one of those unexplainable things. I haven’t seen her since then.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
When I 21 I worked in a nightclub in Los Angeles. We closed at 2 am, and it would take us an hour and a half to clean up, close down and wind down.

On one night such as this, I said goodnight to everyone(It's 3:30am), my boss and the bouncer walked us girls out to our cars and I went home. I stopped at the 7-11 to get something, probably cigarettes, and noted the time was 1:50. I shrugged it off, thinking their clock was wrong.

I get home and my roommate is still up watching some late night movie. I find this a little unusual, since by the time I get home it's usually closer to 4am than not.

But it's not. It's just after 2 am. So I hmm and he hmms. And I wonder, is it Daylight savings time or something? Which of course it wasn't, but it was the only thing I could think of. We call time on the telephone, and verify that the time IS what the clocks in the apartment say it is.

So I call my work, thinking, well if it's still around 2, people have to be there. Hell, the Club is still open if that's true. The line is busy, I never get it to ring through.

I begin to wonder, did my boss set the clocks ahead to get us out of the bar early one night?

The next night I ask the other waitresses about it, and no, everyone got home on time, no one else noticed anything weird.

Now, I've heard of people LOSING time, but gaining?

I've never been able to figure it out.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join