It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Slowing Down?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
This is a bit weird.. But I remember that as a child (2-5 yrs), I would frequently have strange sensations that time was slowing down all around me.. I think it used to happen quite often, as I remember the sensation very well to this day. Perhaps it was just due to some sort of developmental function of the brain, but I'm not sure.. It was always a very odd sensation. Just wondering if anyone else recalls this sort of phenomenon in their past.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
What is this doing here?

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by g3justin

Well, I remember reading about the opposite, actually: that in 1930 time "flowed" more slowly than in 1950. (I assume there were some kind of specific tests.) Of course the difference was infinitesimally small, measurable with atomic clocks only.

It is well known that children's perception of time is different from that in adults, but that's likely based on their overall different perception of time/space. (For one thing, children do not dwell on the past OR the futue, which is probably the main reason why time runs so "slowly" for them.)

But you're likely describing something specific to YOU.
I don't know WHAT it is that causes it, but I would respectfully suggest you cling to it with both arms and legs. ; )

What you are experiencing is likely to be much more "accurate" a perception of time than the usual time-perception in adults.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Although the link below is titled "Is time speeding up?", there are lots of great explanations for the varying perceptions of time. There is also a link to an interesting essay on time perception on the last page of the thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
It occured only for brief periods of time.. I remember walking around in my bedroom, and all of a sudden everything would slow down, and i'd feel very odd... then things would go back to normal...

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   
It's not a strange phenomenon. Ever been in a car wreck? There's a point, usually just before the noisy impact, when time slows down to a near stop. It's a perceptual thing.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
It's not a strange phenomenon. Ever been in a car wreck? There's a point, usually just before the noisy impact, when time slows down to a near stop. It's a perceptual thing.

Well, yes - but the point is precisely that the poster hasn't been in a car crash or any kind of life-threatening situation.

(I am not being argumentative, BTW. ; ))

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by g3justin
It occured only for brief periods of time.. I remember walking around in my bedroom, and all of a sudden everything would slow down, and i'd feel very odd... then things would go back to normal...

If I may add a piece of advice: try not to over-analyse it.
I know it's difficult to stop an analytic mind, but do try - or you might lose it.

And, believe me, what you have is way too precious to be worth the risk.

[edit on 3-12-2007 by Vanitas]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

I've given up trying to analyze it.. It was a phenomenon that's very difficult to even explain with language, and I'm just doing my best at it, working with the few memories I have of the experiences.

In response to Nohup.. This happened to me on a regular basis, and it left such a profound mark on me that I clearly remember a few of the episodes in some detail... Even from the age of 3 or 4..

Also, just to clarify, I've never sustained any serious head injuries, do not suffer from any (diagnosed
) mental illnesses and am successfully employed as a software engineer.

Also, In case you were wondering, I created this thread in the UFO forum because, over the years, I have witnessed personally and along with other people a good number of UFO phenomena.. Probably about 5 ufo's, all but one with witnesses. Linking the two phenomena (time retardation, ufo sightings) is a seemingly ludicrous idea in my mind, but hey.. This is ATS.....

[edit on 3-12-2007 by g3justin]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Anyway, that's all I have to say.. I'm going to follow up with this thread later to see if anyone here may have some similar experiences.

cheers.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

Originally posted by Nohup

Well, yes - but the point is precisely that the poster hasn't been in a car crash or any kind of life-threatening situation.

(I am not being argumentative, BTW. ; ))

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to limit the effect specifically to trauma. It happens all the time throughout the day. Waiting for a traffic light. Watching a really good comedy on TV. Times like that. I'm sure it has something to do with serotonin and synapes and all that brain goop.

I congratulate the OP for being aware enough to notice. Now try thinking of your tongue. Swelling and swelling.

[edit on 3-12-2007 by Nohup]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

No, not the same.. I do know what you're talking about though.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by g3justin

I think I know what you're talking about. I used to have these episodes when I was like 10-11 of some sort of a slowdown. Everything around me would kinda slow down and the sounds I would hear as well (turned muffled). It was like some sort of a half-dream sensation. To use a comparison, it was like walking under the water. Pretty weird huh?

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I was over a friends house one time when I was about 12. We were in his kitchen talking when a bubble came out of his mouth. I guess that bubble was a little spit. You know when talking to someone they might spit on you while talking? Well when the little bubble of spit came out time slowed down and I watched it as it got closer and was able to move to the side as it went by. Everything in the background turned into a blur while that little bubble came by.

I had another time when studying for a test. I was not doing very well in school so one night I was studying and I was really trying to focus on what I was reading to a point of sweating. I had pushed my brain into such a focus that a bead of sweat formed on my forehead where it fell in slow motion. It was as if the sweat drop had frozen in space while I watched from a different angle. It slowly hit the book. After that I went from straight F's in school to honor roll.

I was also picked on in elementary school where a bully hit me from behind and I had had enough of this. I turned around to start pounding on him when time slowed down. It gave me the advantage. He never bothered me again.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Breadfan_at_work

Yes.. I think we may be on the same page here. Strange.. I'm guessing it's probably some sort of side effect of natural brain development in some children. But I do know exactly what you're talking about.. Walking under water, muffled sounds.. good analogy.

top topics

join