It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My mythology class & global catastrophe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
The greatest emphasis on global catastrophe is probably to be found in Mesoamerica.

According to Aztec traditions, the continuing conflict

between the deities associated with each of the four

quarters of the universe has entailed a series of

cataclysms.

The first era ended with the world being consumed by jaguars, a great hurricane, and the third by fire and the fourth by flood destroyed the second.

We are now in the fifth world, which is destined to be devastated by earthquakes.

aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

Hopi, Greece, Aztec, and a few others have had the same flood myths. All seem to have similiar characteristics of a global catastrophe... And all seem to be from a patriarchal society.. There is good and evil in each flood myth, and the outcome always seems to be repopulation.

Funny how all myths have a global catastrophe based off of being being "wicked".

Wicked = arrogant/selfish/careless/____ect

I'm not sure what's going on but it's quite obvious global catastrophe seems to happen based off of people's behaviours.

[Edited on 16-2-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Good thing I dont live my life according to ancient Aztec traditions!

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
If the aztecs were right then there would be no sun at this moment, because no one has sacrificed anyone to the sun god for a long ass time as far as I know.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamrebel
Good thing I dont live my life according to ancient Aztec traditions!

?????

What does this have to do with what you believe?

What if the world tanks itself, because you want to deny it you will be okay and the rest of us not?

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Dreamrebel has a point. Its just another mythical "end of the world" senario. Doesn't make it anywhere near real.

Still its interesting information, and it would be good to find some articles on it. How can a world be destroyed by Jaguars? Are we talking about the animal, or something with a similar name?

[Edited on 16-2-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Sorry but I disagree, he did not even understand the concept of the original post.

The question is whether the earth has cycles and what would lead to their ending and rebirth.

Obviously, the language used here is symbolic and not literal.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Jaguars.. The animal...
Aztec's didn't really have the knowledge we have today, so they were left to speculate, like any other culture..

What i'm saying is that it's definitely odd that the same global catastophe's were defined in other cultures around the same time..

Look at the flood myths and earthquakes..

I mean noah's ark is the most well known, but take a look at the Hopi's, egypt, aztec, greece, and caribbean myth.. They are very similiar.........

Just odd that all global catastrophe's occur due to human behaviour in that people grew "wicked" which isn't in accordance to the "creator" of all life.

new topics

top topics

join