It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"No Country For Old Men"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Judging from the response to my last reviews, I'm sure you will be more than excited to read this one.

I have heard that this Cohen Bros. film is as good as "Fargo"
No way Jose'

NCFOM was a good film with lots of blood, guts realistic violence and some interesting characters but it just didn't have the desperate feel of "Fargo" in my opinion.

The script seemed choppy and probably didn't do the Novel by Cormac McCarthy justice.

I did really like the Location where it was shot. New Mexico, not Texas and you can really see some of the seedyer places in Albquerque and surronding enviorns. I am now an extra/standin in the movies being shot here, and there are a LOT of them.

Javier Bardem who played the bad guy really played a good bad guy. Were talking a really bad guy.

Tommy Lee Jones, played Tommy Lee Jones again dressed up like a county sheriff. Credible performance.

Josh Brolin was also pretty convincing as a Texas redneck.

I think this film deserves and a half dancing jesters.

If you go see it; please give me a little feedback!

muchas gracial

whaaa

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I'm looking forward to seeing this movie this Friday or Saturday. I've read the book and found it powerful, not as powerful as The Road, but powerful nonetheless. Having read the book, it seems to me this movie would have to differ from "Fargo". While you see "Fargo" as desperate, there was also the typical Coen brothers underlying humor.

No humor in the book No Country..., and I can't see how the there would be a place for it in the movie. The book to me was mostly about the brutal, thorough, and sudden violence of evil, and how even those who feel they have experienced real evil like Moss and the Sheriff, have no understanding of it at its purest when it truly manifests itself.

My concern about the movie is how, or if, the Sheriff's italicised interior monologue chapters will be translated to the screen.

I don't want "No Country for Old Men" to be "Fargo", just like "The Big Lebowski" is not "Fargo". Both great movies, though, and I'm hoping I think "No Country..." is too.

I'll check back in after I see it.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 01:24 AM
link   
"Fargo" is the most insulting movie ive ever seen. I know this thread is not about the movie "Fargo", but you had to mention it. Why do you all enjoy that horrible movie anyway! Stupid woodchipper....

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
tetsujun420, Ill bet you know Fargo pretty well. Is it as beautiful as it was in the film.

I am constantly amazed at the way places look in the movies. Almost never like the real place; either glamorized or much worse.

New Mexico in "310 to Yuma" was pretty close though. Beautiful!!

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Yeah Fargo is very beautiful, but not as beautiful as small town North Dakota. Anyway, "No Country For Old Men" looks like a good movie. I'll have to go see it with my Grandpa one day.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
It was a great movie, and I saw it twice. It's very much a thinking man's movie, so the action and death is definitely not the focus, though it is stark. It's already won several awards, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it win the Oscar.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I can't wait to see this movie.

Also, I just have to ask, was there anybody else when first seeing the preview on TV that thought that the assassin was being played by Jimmy Fallon of Saturday Night Live fame? I thought he may have been trying to get into serious roles ala Jim Carrey.

Peace

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Did you confuse him with Josh Brolin? Javier Bardem looks WAY different than Jimmy Fallon. Anyways, you can rest assured that he is not in this movie. I can just imagine him breaking character and laughing out of turn in the most tense parts of the movie and ruining it. >_>

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
No, it was Bardem I was confusing him with. One of the scenes in the preview he looked like Fallon (with more weight), at least to me.

Maybe I am the only one.

Peace

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Surprisingly, I actually didn't like the movie at all. I came in with big expectations and was very let down and bored at the whole thing. I still can't figure out exactly why the film got such great reviews and what the whole point of the movie was.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   
This movie was wonderful. Favorite movie I saw this year. Kept me interested the whole time.

I love Fargo. I bought Fargo. This is as good as Fargo.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
As a fan of the more "serious" Coen Bros. work. "Blood Simple" and "Millers Crossing" and "Fargo" were my favourites.

I gotta say that this film has really redeemed the Coens in my eyes. I was getting really tired of the quirky/offbeat character films that they had been concentrating on for the last decade. "The Big Lebowski" being an exception.

I loved this film. Although not as deep a meditation as McCarthy's book I found the film to be just as disturbing as the novel. Bardem is exquisite as Chigurh (who, to me, is the main character of the film).

My big fear is in the fact that Ridley Scott is going to be releasing McCarthy's "Blood Meridian" next year. This is my favourite McCarthy book and I pray that Scott will do it justice.

top topics

join