It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German Official Wants nation wide Scientology Ban

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

German Official Wants nation wide Scientology Ban

www.sfgate.com

Germany could be asked to ban the U.S.-based Church of Scientology under a Hamburg security official's proposal that contends the group violates human rights.

Hamburg's secretary of the interior, Udo Nagel, plans to seek a nationwide ban of Scientology at this week's meeting of top German security officials, spokeswoman Ulrike Sweden said Monday.

The German government considers Scientology a commercial enterprise that takes advantage of vulnerable people.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I wonder what the litgious Cult of Scientology will do if they are indeed thrown out as it were from a country. It truly is a commercial cult that does seem to pray on the weak, and even feeble minded. Yes I said feeble. Has anyone seen Cruise or Travolta without thier handlers or a script? Not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed eh?

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
If "taking advantage of vulnerable people" is going to be the criteria for banning a religion then, to be fair, they should ban them all.

Scientology makes a lot of noise. That's about it.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
As much as I am skeptical of Scientology and its totalitarian attitude, those German campaigners, who are especially strong in the city of Hamburg, are a fanatical bunch themselves.

I wouldnt "ban" a foreign belief-system entirely, since the laws already in place are enough to handle any possible criminal activity.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Yes I said feeble.

I'm sorry to hear that you think of me as feeble minded FredT. I think you've read enough of my posts here at ATS that you would have a different opinion of me.

I have met and worked with John Travolta and know he is not feeble minded in any way, and I've seen many successful people apply the precepts of Scientology in their lives to better themselves.

If Germany bans Scientology it's only to their detriment, typical action on their part though.
Too many people espouse their views on this religion without the least bit of understanding what it's all about.

Silly humans, if you had any sense you would ban Christianity and Islamic faiths. Scientology causes no wars.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Freedom of religion includes all religions, even bad ones. IMHO, Scientology is for the most part a bad religion, a true cult, built upon lies, slavery, and exploitation. But its devotees do have the right to practice it, as long as they keep to the law. If a state bans Scientology, then what next? Ban a religion that is merely unpopular, such as Zen Buddhism?

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

I dont think Scientology is the black-white issue that people are going to make of it in this thread. But honestly: You being a scientologist, dont you feel that your church at least has to be reformed?

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by IAmTetsuo

Yeah but Zen Buddhism and Scientology are EXTREMELY different, Scientology is based on a science fiction writers wet dreams, whereas Buddhism is a peaceful path towards happiness.

Scientology is a nasty, greedy organisation that demands money from its followers, whereas Zen Buddhism is an abandonment of all things material...

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

Originally posted by FredT

Yes I said feeble.

Silly humans, if you had any sense you would ban Christianity and Islamic faiths. Scientology causes no wars.

How many wars have atheists caused then?

And best of all, atheism is free and makes no demands...

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
a nasty, greedy organisation that demands money from its followers, whereas Zen Buddhism is an abandonment of all things material...

demanding money you equate with nastiness and abandoning all things material (abandoning progress and material reality and life itself) is something good?

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Well, I'm not a Zen Buddhist, but you pretty much summed it up in one...

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Scientology is based on a science fiction writers wet dreams,

It's unfounded statements like this that have no value to a thread like this.
Do you honestly believe Scientology is based on nocturnal emissions caused by sexual excitement during an REM sleep state ???

That kind of thinking is ludicrous....

Try learning a bit about the topic before you post something like that, or at least go into a Church and find out something other than what you might have read on the net.:shk:

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
True religion comes from those not of this earth. Scientology as pointed out above comes from a science fiction writer who said "If one wanted to make a lot of money, he would start his own religion". Scientology has nothing to do with a person's soul, what happens after death, or has a person's actions accountable to a deity (or even believe in a deity). That's what religion is about. Scientology isn't about anything religious, so it's not a religion.

I wish they'd ban Scientology in the US too, along with the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormons. Any false religion created by a liar within the last couple of hundred years should be banned.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elhardt
Scientology has nothing to do with a person's soul, what happens after death, or has a person's actions accountable to a deity (or even believe in a deity).

You've just proven how little you know about this subject.
Your view of this Church is based on total ignorance of the teachings of L. Ron Hubbard.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I have read a couple of stories of those who would want to leave that sort of group. Ruthless and well money'd has it's advantages I suppose. I applaud the German advocacy in this specific case. Does scientology do any "good" works for non-scientologists that is "clear"? They need an "assist". Do they really discriminate against those who have ABI or stroke? What killed old L. Ron off? Psyclos?

Mira

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Gosh, I never thought Id end up defending Scientology, but some of these comments are just plain wrong.

Originally posted by Elhardt
True religion comes from those not of this earth.

All religions are man-made.

Scientology as pointed out above comes from a science fiction writer who said "If one wanted to make a lot of money, he would start his own religion".

Are you familiar with the term "humor"? I dont understand why scientology bashers keep using this quote.

Scientology has nothing to do with a person's soul, what happens after death, or has a person's actions accountable to a deity (or even believe in a deity). That's what religion is about. Scientology isn't about anything religious, so it's not a religion.

Wrong. The term for soul in scientology is "thetan". And just about everything they do is connected to soul and psyche.

I wish they'd ban Scientology in the US too, along with the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormons. Any false religion created by a liar within the last couple of hundred years should be banned.

So anything modern should be banned, while outdated cults such as christianity and islam should remain? Nonsense.

The problems with scientology are of a different nature. One of them being that they are pushy with recruitment, another being that their development stopped in the 70s, another being that they are semi-criminal when it comes to treatment of opponents, another being that all information only came from one source.

But other than these problems, if I were forced to join a religion, Id join this one before any of the "major and accepted" religions any day.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Scientology is based on a science fiction writers wet dreams,

Do you honestly believe Scientology is based on nocturnal emissions caused by sexual excitement during an REM sleep state ???

Try learning a bit about the topic before you post something like that, or at least go into a Church and find out something other than what you might have read on the net.:shk:

Massive, massive apologies, I was thinkign about that cult that was founded by ex science fiction writer Ron Hubbard.... which one are you talking about????

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

I dont think Scientology is the black-white issue that people are going to make of it in this thread. But honestly: You being a scientologist, dont you feel that your church at least has to be reformed?

You're right, nothing is black or white.
I've seen some reformation of the Church over the years, but the tech is the tech, the teachings don't need to change.

Scientology is not going away, and nobody is forced to join the Sea Org. or even take a course. They won't strap you down and put you on an E-Meter for Auditing if that's not your choice.
Has anyone in this thread ever heard of free will

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Oh again, I'm sorry.... Is this coming from the guy who believes that Xenu (the alien galactic master) dropped a load of alien souls into a load of volcano's on earth and then blew them up with hydrogen bombs...

pfffft.... The study of truth indeed...

Oh yeah and for your own reference, Hubbard was a pathological liar.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   

but the tech is the tech, the teachings don't need to change.

you see...thats one of the problems I see with religion...as a non-basher of scientology. Non-development. No matter how much the world changes, in 2000 years you will still be teaching the same stuff.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join