It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are people doing to stop injustice?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Before I start I want to say that I’m not out to attack anyone, I’m curious and sincerely want to know what’s being done and how? In addition, I tried to do a search on my question and either didn’t phrase it right or missed it and I apologize if this is the wrong forum, but I did my best to get it in the right one.

Lately, I’ve been reading threads on the Police use of Tazers and how people either defend or condemn there usage. My questions are directed more towards but not limited to those who claim that the USA is turning into a police state or have complaints or concerns about other such perceived breakdowns in the system.

1. What are you doing to Stop or Correct the problem other that writing about it in forums such as this?

2. How and why did you choose the course of action you’re taking?

3. Are you’re efforts working? If yes, what were the results, if not, what do you feel the reason is?

I really want to know. I look at the video’s that are posted and some are good, but many have to cropped or edited to present the side that the OP many times, wants to get across. I’m not accusing the OP’s of the edits, I know that most are found on youtube or from some other source. For example, on a different forum, someone was showing a video they said was an Army Gunship killing Iraqi farmers. (their use of the word, not mine) Then someone else posted the whole video. It clearly showed that two of these farmers pulled up in a truck and one of them pulled out and ran a package out to the field where he dropped it. (this is where the first video started) He returned to the vehicles and waited for the farmer on the tractor to pull up. Long story short, when the copter opened up on them, one ran back to the tractor to retrieve the object he dropped and to me, it looked like he was unwrapping a rifle. Needless to say, all three were terminated with extreme prejudice. But in my eyes, the whole video looked like they were attacking soldiers of some sort.

I brought that up only to ask another question.

4. What, where, and how can someone like myself who’s not the best when it comes to the cyber world track down and confirm news or video sources that aren’t mainstream providers?

Thanks in advance to all those who reply. And please remember, I’m not looking to start any flame wars about who’s right or wrong, I would just like answers to the questions I asked. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
In my personal opinion, I look for multiple sources to corroborate stories. If only one source is reporting something, I tend to take it with a grain of salt at best.

As for clips of gun camera footage- I'd take any third party rhetoric about the content with a great deal of caution. You're not gonna see farmers being engaged in any clips, whether the poster is claiming that or not.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueRaja

Thanks. I neglected to mention that the video was the guncamera footage from the copter itself, with voices. I don't rememgber it all, but you could clearly hear someone telling the gunner to only fire at the individuals. I believe the Gunner asked serveral times if he was supposed to fire on the vehicles. I'll see if I can't find the links again.

[edit on 3-12-2007 by paraclete1]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I tried to edit my previous post, but nothing showed up, so I'll try again here.

Here are youtube links to the videos I reference in my first post

1. www.youtube.com... 6:18 shows the cut video
2. www.youtube.com... This is the complete video

These two videos are of the same incident, but it appears someone was editing it:

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Don't everyone speak at once now...

I can't believe that their isn't someone doing something about something being complained about. I've seen threads go 2 or 3 pages two hours after a posting on some cop gone bad.

Anyone?

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I started this in the hope of learning someway to go about making changes in the world. I figured that those who consistantly speak out against the NWO, Police abuse or any number of other subjects within this site might actually have some pointers but the lack of responses speaks volumes.

So either they're afraid that I'm trying to lure them into something or they're good about complaining but don't know what to do either. Rather than try to solicit (sp/) further answers, I'll just go back to reading and let this go.

Thanks to BlueRaja for giving me some good advice. I only wish I'd heard from the otherside.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
No problem. It just seems like too many people accept stories at face value, when there aren't corroborating sources. Or they'll use the fact that other sources aren't corroborating the story as evidence that the other sources are biased.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I am a member of CARE organisation, its about making microloans to women in need in third world countries. the organasation lend money to a group of women to buy a stand for a market, a donkey or whatever and they pay it back aas they make money from it.

I am also a member of Amnesty International and there I participate in the "Write for life" program, where we send personal letters to governments breaking humanrights and such.

Besides that i try to be active in my community via my daughters kindergarden, sportsclub and so on.

CARE

Amnesty

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
The only way to stop injustice is to expose it to the light..like the cockraoches that they are, most cop's and others with weapons and authority will exceed the limits..time and again. The proof is legendary. Sure, there are a few good cop's out there..a few. But the vast majority WILL break the rules..the law, in order to make an arrest stick or to show someone who has the last word in reality..it is all too common.

Judges are guilty as hell in this regard: Most judges will accept testimony that they know was unlawfully obtained in order to ' support ' the cop's and keep what they perceive to be the ' bad guys ' in jail regardless of little details like Constitutional Rights and civil rights..these are a bother to the cop's, and distregarded when ever they can.

Judges will almost ALWAYS side with a cop on the stand, even if the cop's story strains credibility to the breaking point. It would be laughable, if in fact it were not sickening, to see the antics that cop's will go thru to make someone do time. They will say they smelled some substance even though a dog could not!! They will say that the arrestee made a ' furtive gesture ' as an excuse to shoot or Taze them..they will say and do almost ANYTHING, as long as no cameras are rolling.

It is only logical: If cop's hate to be photographed and recorded as they perform their duties as our tax paid servants, then there is a reason for it: The cop's hate to be filmed and recorded because they OFTEN, commonly, abuse the law and the Rights of the citizens and they know it ' looks bad ' on YouTube or a local TV station. They HATE oversight of any kind...because they use methods that are either illegal or abusive of rights and know that the citizens word will always fail unless there is PROOF.

Anyone who wants to insure a professional police force and conduct should invest in a small camera set up that can record to a secure source in real time all the activioty around and in your vehicle,even your home. If you are approached by a cop for any reason, as soon as practicable, let the cop know that he is being televised by your cameras and recorded and that people are no doubt sitting around a monitor right now watching what he does. No need to mention it if it is routine..but if ANY requests are made to give CONSENT, which of course no intelligent person would ever do, or if the cop gets nasty and demanding..let him know that you are willing to use this evidence to protect yourself.

Most cops will get real polite real fast when they KNOW that someone is watching..that their deeds will be seen and the truth will be known. Like the cockroaches that they are, the cop's hate the lioght and discovery..they operate best in the world of lies and deceptions and abuse of power..they have huge ego's, but not the requisite character to handle it, so we see abuses all the time. EXPOSE the actions of the cops....elect judges that will not swallow the lies of cop's all the time..and SUE the hell out of any cop that crosses the line. You will be amazed at how even filing a lawsuit gets the cop's attention..and they will often settle rather than risk a trial.. Just never let them get away with anything, and justice will follow.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by paraclete1

Everyone's motivated by slightly different things when it comes to injustice. In the early 1980's I joined single issue campaigns, attending student demonstrations against nuclear weapons, whale hunting etc. Did my campaigning achieve anything ? Not an awful lot, no. We've still got nuclear weapons. The Japanese still hunt whales. My youthful, innocent idealism has been rendered almost impotent by experience.

So now I confine my energies to helping people I know. My friend has schizophrenia and I spend much of my free time with him, helping him with his domestics, taking him out for the day ... doesn't sound like much I guess, doing his washing, cleaning his house etc. But if it weren't for me & his Mum, he'd be in a care facility. And I couldn't live with that on my conscience.

I think that is what it comes down to when we consider injustice. Our own conscience. It's that little undefinable thing inside each of us which stirs us to act when we see things which go against our own moral code. And that code you get from good parenting, life experience & your own faith too. That's what stirs me to act. My conscience.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Moving thread over to Social Issues...

What am doing to change the world and stop injustices??

I inform myself, I donate to charitable causes and do volunteer work. Is that going to change the world or stop injustices, probably not.. but once an injustice is done, at least I know that my charity can help those people less fortunate than I.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
What do I do?

Every day I put on the Uniform that gets sullied by so many on here and I protect innocents that can't protect themselves.

I stop criminals.

I fight injustice.

I fight crime.

Like 99.99% of my brother officers, I don't do the crap that some members would have you believe all because they are airing a grudge over some ticket or other imagined wrong.

In over 21 years I have fought injustice by being shot, stabbed, given numerous concussions, hit by 3 cars and spit on more times than I can count. Just like the 99.99% of my brothers, that some of you would sit in your mothers basements and do nothing but complain about...

So yeah, I'm doing something...

Semper

[edit on 12/10/2007 by semperfortis]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Thanks guys, All good posts. I must admit that when I directed this to those who were complaining, I had hoped that some of them were actually trying to do something other than complaining. But after the delay, I sadly realized that it's eaisier for them to complain and accuse others than it is to become a positive force. I guess it was silly of me to believe that a negative person would actually be doing something positive, but I always want to believe in people.

Having worked as a 911 dispatcher, I know the kind of abuse and threats some officers face. Thankfully, those I worked with were never shot or stabbed. But like them, I always knew that the possibility was there and when I couldn't get them to respond on a safety check, I felt a momentary sense of helplessness knowing I couldn't help.

I also have volunteered with various community groups in an attempt to do something positive. I work as a Security Guard for a snack cake company and there's really not much of a threat, but in this day and age, I always have to keep in the back of my mind that when an angry terminated employee returns with a gun, I'm going to be the first target because of my "percieved" authority. Something I try to get across to the other officers who believe this job is nothing but a free paycheck.

Anyway, maybe some of the negative posters will read the postings you all left and decide it's time to become a part of the solution. Thanks

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraclete1I work as a Security Guard for a snack cake company and there's really not much of a threat, but in this day and age, I always have to keep in the back of my mind that when an angry terminated employee returns with a gun, I'm going to be the first target because of my "percieved" authority.

If you are armed, I would have to disagree with you.

You would be shot first because you are the one with the gun.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by eyewitness86
It is only logical: If cop's hate to be photographed and recorded as they perform their duties as our tax paid servants, then there is a reason for it: The cop's hate to be filmed and recorded because they OFTEN, commonly, abuse the law and the Rights of the citizens and they know it ' looks bad ' on YouTube or a local TV station. They HATE oversight of any kind...because they use methods that are either illegal or abusive of rights and know that the citizens word will always fail unless there is PROOF.

Cops have dash cams and here, at least, they have recorders on their utility belts and these are in place because they protect the cops and the citizens.

I don't know where you live, but life must be pretty miserable there or maybe it's just that you an awful lot of brushes with the law that your neighbors don't have.

Maybe it's that you watch too much television, because, while there are instances of police acting in the way that you describe, there is no evidence that officers abusing their authority is the norm.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

We're not armed. In fact, the company made it very clear that we have all the arrest authority of a civilian. But stressed, they didn't want us to do anything like that since they didn't want to face any potential law suits. We're supposed to call management.

But society has been brought up to believe if someone is in a uniform, they must have some kind of power.

posted on Dec, 13 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraclete1
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

We're not armed. In fact, the company made it very clear that we have all the arrest authority of a civilian. But stressed, they didn't want us to do anything like that since they didn't want to face any potential law suits. We're supposed to call management.

I'm familiar with this mentality and frankly it is the worst kind of cowardice. Your company would rather avoid a lawsuit, than to save the lives of their employees in the event of an attack.

The recent church shootings were stopped by a security officer who took the shooter down before he could harm more innocents.

But society has been brought up to believe if someone is in a uniform, they must have some kind of power.

This is true, but again, I think that if you were shot first, it not be because of "perceived authority," but because the shooter would not want to take the chance that you are armed.

In the event that your workplace was attacked by an armed assailant, I would recommend that you take cover just like everyone else, because you have no means of protecting yourself or others. And if this is the case, you are just a sitting duck, wearing what you believe is a suit that shouts, "Shoot me, please!"

Personally, as someone who has worked both armed and unarmed posts, I would recommend that if you believe that the scenario that you describe is even a remote possibility, it is time for you to find a new career or a new post where the dangers are less severe or you can be properly armed for the protection of those in your charge and yourself.

[edit on 2007/12/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   

...In the event that your workplace was attacked by an armed assailant, I would recommend that you take cover just like everyone else...

WHAT??? Hide you say? I get paid $8.05 an hour. For that amount of money it's my duty to take the bullet for corporate HQ.

Don't worry, I doubt that I'll ever be faced with a shooting situation. But then I suppose those people never thought they get shot going to church. If someone's going to go crazy, there are no safe places any more. And at 8.05 and hor, I'm not about the take the bullet for just anyone at the plant. They're going to have to be pretty special in my book. My job duties are little more than receptionist and fire guard. And I agree that they're more likely to shoot the guard on the chance that they might be armed. People are all the time asking to borrow my gun for whatever.

new topics

top topics

join