It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spectacular Mummified Dinosaur Found in North Dakota

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Spectacular Mummified Dinosaur Found in North Dakota

www.foxnews.com

WASHINGTON — One of the most complete dinosaur mummies ever found is revealing secrets locked away for millions of years, bringing researchers as close as they will ever get to touching a live dino.

The fossilized duckbilled hadrosaur is so well preserved that scientists have been able to calculate its muscle mass and learn that it was more muscular than thought, probably giving it the ability to outrun predators such as Tyrannosaurus rex.

While they call it a mummy, the dinosaur is not really preserved as King Tut was. The dinosaur body has been fossilized into stone.

Unlike the collections of bones found in museums, this hadrosaur came complete with skin, ligaments, tendons and possibly some internal organs, according to researchers
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Oh, dinosaur found with flesh intact.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
This North Dakota duckbilled hadrosaur mineralized faster that it could decompose forming the best to date mummy dinosaur. The internal structure is being analysed by the worlds largest CT scanner. No DNA was available. It is believed the creature was able to run 28 mph or 10 mph faster that T. Rex, its major predator.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 06:27 AM
link   
They're disecting this on tv aren't they?

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   
wow great find
But come one somebody has to get their story straight (not you op , the author of that article) a tyrannosaurus was not a predator , that was a misconception that has been proven false , they were in fact carnivores (or how you call the animals that eat dead animals).

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   

wow great find But come one somebody has to get their story straight (not you op , the author of that article) a tyrannosaurus was not a predator , that was a misconception that has been proven false , they were in fact carnivores (or how you call the animals that eat dead animals).
reply to post by Thill

Hi Thrill, Goodness I wasn't aware. I didn't find anything when I did a short search. I thought T. rex were predators. Do you have a reference on that?

Is the word scavenger?

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

I wonder how many mormons will disprove this as govt propaganda, hahahahahahahhahaha

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   

They're disecting this on tv aren't they?
reply to post by PeaceUk

Have you seen this on TV? If so let us know what network.. Tks!

apc

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Awesome! They found Ducky! Yup yup yup!!

That's incredible they can even see the texture of the skin. Too bad they can't tell the color. I've been waiting for the day when we can say once and for all that dinos were not pink with green spots.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I think this is pretty exciting.

I hope global warming helps to reveal a complete frozen corpse of a dinosaur in my lifetime.

Now that would be exciting.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thill
wow great find
But come one somebody has to get their story straight (not you op , the author of that article) a tyrannosaurus was not a predator , that was a misconception that has been proven false , they were in fact carnivores (or how you call the animals that eat dead animals).

Actually, they were predators and scavengers (the word you were looking for, not carnivores as that means meat eater). They were quite capable of killing prey, but it has been suggested that they would also steal kills off smaller predators.

The only person to put forward the theory of a scavenger only T-Rex is Jack Horner, who only published his theory once in an actual paper and subsequent research has shown it has great, lumbering holes in it. For one, they had excellent, binocular vision (contrary to the Jurassic park story), great sense of smell and it is quite possible that their small arms would have been very well suited to gripping and holding struggling prey.

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Just use the bluetooth earpiece
reply to post by stumason

Hi Stum,
Thanks for the post! We are edified! And I didn't think for a minute that T. res was a mere scaventer!

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thill
wow great find

Who on earth (in modern-times) has provided evidence that any dinosaur was a carnivore? How would they know how those animals ate, and what type of food they ate?

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I saw that documental oc discovery about T-Rex and at the end I remember the statement that they agreed that its a 90% chance that the T-Rex was a scavanger
I dont remember the title of the program but it was on discovery a while back , so thats where I base my assumptions on , if they were wrong then sorry :/

I usually dont base my opinions on mainstream documentaries but I remember that one had some compelling evidence for that theory

[edit on 9-12-2007 by Thill]

apc

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahuman
How would they know how those animals ate, and what type of food they ate?

The type of teeth and the location of the eyes is usually a dead giveaway.

Compare to animals that exist today. Carnivorous predators have eyes in the front of the head (like humans) well suited for looking straight ahead which is what you need for hunting. They also have sharp teeth and fangs for tearing and ripping flesh. Omnivores and herbivores however tend to have eyes located on the sides of the head which gives a wider field of view making it easier to see predators sneaking up on them while they graze. They also have flat, rough teeth good for crushing and grinding plant matter.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
of course, t rex was a carnivore. but a scavenger, not a predator. his calves were short compared to his thighs, like a human...(a walker, not a runner) and had little ridiculous nubby arms, not suitable for grasping, or holding. Finally, his teeth were thick and dull, like big jackhammers, for crushing ( as in bones - like of things that werent trying to run away) not sharp and serated for killing.....oh one more thing- borg, its called binocular vision, and it is needed for depth perception-(hunting neccesity) AND his Olfactory cavity WAS huge and sensitive--for smelling rotting flesh, Like a big stupid 2 legged buzzard.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by lizzyloo

Well, i can't remember all of the report, but the musculature of T. Rex may have made up for it's short legs in terms of speed.
There is still a great deal of controversy on whether or not T. Rex was a hunter or scavenger, evidence currently points both ways.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
This is cool. I love stories like this. Flagged!

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
forget millions of years
can you think 3500?
www.bible.ca...

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I think this is pretty exciting.

I hope global warming helps to reveal a complete frozen corpse of a dinosaur in my lifetime.

Now that would be exciting.

Some years back , Russian explorers found a complete frozen wooly mammoth . It is still being studied today. It was on the History channel last year .

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I think i saw this on TV. Also when they did the Scan they also found a crocodile or aligator inside!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join