It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Economies of Death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Car Crashes (Insurance)
$85 billion /yr

Cancer
$120 billion /yr

Pharmaceutical Industry
$250 billion /yr

Warfare
$528 billions /yr

Oil Industry
$690 billion /yr

There have been many, many people who have come forward around the world to say “I have discovered a cure for cancer!” or “I have found a way to run automobiles on water!” or "We should invest in smooth, quiet mass transit to get people to and from work and run it on electricity!" Some people say “I don't want to fight, I want to share and collaborate!” or “Perhaps depression can't be fixed with drugs, perhaps the problem is in the structure of society!” These people are continually discredited, silenced, or killed... all in the name of capitalism.

The argument is made that if we halt the causes of these industries, that the economy would collapse.

I pose the opposite. The STRAIN on our economy comes from these things.

Think of all the people working in these industries. What if they could be working on things like food, clothing, housing, education, infrastructure, schools, bridges, roads, homes, farms, power sources, transportation, spaceships, and god forbid... arts and entertainment?

The world would benefit an ENORMOUS amount if only we could stop wasting so much effort on things that maintain the status quo.

Any problem that humanity faces could be solved much more quickly by the freed-up resources that humanity could direct at solving such problems.

These industries injure, pollute, poison, disease, starve, or kill human populations on unimaginable scales.

The rich waste more dollars per year protecting their wealth than it would cost to bring others up to their level!

The richest 3 men in the world have a combined mass of wealth greater than the poorest 48 nations of the world combined!

I ASK HUMANITY:

WHAT IN GOD'S NAME ARE WE DOING???

THIS IS INSANITY.

[edit on 3-12-2007 by dionysius9]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Car crashes are an industry?

Cancer is an industry?

Wotchoo bin Smokin?

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Researcher

Agreed, it's not as if no one's ever invented an airbag, seat belts, or chemotherapy. Sheesh...

(EDIT: I really am actually agreeing with you, nobody has a vested interest in keeping people dying of cancer or car crashes)

[edit on 4-12-2007 by Jim_Kraken]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by dionysius9

While I wouldn’t put the oil industry or insurance in the same ‘death industry’ category as the others, I think you’re point is a strong one with this post. As a race, our focus is often on short term gain, to the detriment of the overall and long range good. It’s the age old problem of the love of money trumping the love of your fellow man.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I would shift my focus to more tangible and well-recognised 'economies of death' such as the military-industrial complex that has essentially developed in the U.S. today.

There are a lot of books on the matter if you want to look into that sort of thing, it's really interesting and somewhat recognised as a realistic possibility, so you won't be ridiculed for thinking it's a problem. As for cancer and that sort of thing... Well I don't know. Perhaps the medical insitutions or companies providing products used in treatments would profit but that'd be all.

I don't think you're totally wrong but more in-depth study is required.

new topics

top topics

join