It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trail Pistols

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Well I just recently got a Ruger mark 3 for target shooting & carry while exploring in the woods for snakes and such. Man it shoots so true and its just ideal. It got me thinking about 22 caliber pistols for general woodsman survival for varmints . Ive looked at a S&W model 650 and think ill add that to my collection for backpacking because the Mark 3 is a little heaver than I really want to carry but its still fun. I think 22 cal is a little under rated as a survival pistol.

What are some of your thoughts/choices of 22 cal trail pistols.

[edit on 3-12-2007 by Digital_Reality]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Sweet piece, .22 pistols can be very accurate. But a pistol is a close range weapon, and as such stalking, woodmanship, and shooting skills need to be highly tuned, and one shot will not kill quickly unless to head, long blood trailing and wounded animals are more common with a .22, although those "Stingers" brand of ammo leaves an impressive hole... After Deer season it is Coyote hunting time here in NY, and I used to use an old Remington pump .22, the 1906, 06 and 62a models better known as " Carnival Guns " Ya know the ones that were used in the old time shooting gallery's??... No more, I use my .30-'06 deer rifle or a sweet shooting .257 Roberts Winchester Mod70 featherweight, more one shot kills and if a bad hit the critter isnt going very far.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

Trail rifles, maybe a lightweight 22 caliber, can be collapsible and equally portable as a pistol.

As oneshot stated, they're pretty short range weapons. If you would be hunting larger game, a rifle would be much more beneficial.

However, for survival, even a small knife can be a lifesaver.

I can't find the rifle right now, but I've heard of them before...

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I like the idea of a .22LR pistol as a survival tool, but maybe as a secondary? A rifle in a "decent" calibre for the medium/large game and the pistol for targets of opportunity?

I personally don't like the idea of wasting ammo on a squirrel in a survival situation, preferring other forms of hunting for this (traps, deadfalls etc). However if such a target happened to be close and on offer, the little pistol could come in handy. With decent ammo a .22 pistol could take hare-sized game at 50m with practice.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I think Smith & Wesson makes a few 22's they call "Kit" guns just for packing while hiking or just general purposes. Its just so convenient at $8 for 500 rounds. Plus no recoil and less noise. Squirrel and rabbit are easer to catch and clean in survival situations. Ideal if its just you surviving on the move. Also good to not have to waste half a deer because you have to keep going and just cant carry it. I can shoot a good 150-200 yards with the mark 3 easy. Thats far enough to catch any varmint.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I have the same pistol in the target model, sweet. In the woods I like the Marlin papoose take down in stainless and a North American Arms 22 5 shot derringer.
The rifle for small game up to chucks, and the pistol just for piece of mind.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls

Trail rifles, maybe a lightweight 22 caliber, can be collapsible and equally portable as a pistol...
I can't find the rifle right now, but I've heard of them before...

I think you are looking for the Henry Arms version of the .22 survival rifles?

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Now that is a cool rifle. I almost bought a Mossberg JIC when I was in the gun shop the other day also. For $330 it was not a bad deal.
Link

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Spring Field Armory also made a M6 scout which was discontinued a few years ago, but you can still find them like new on gun broker.

Savage, has a survival rifle chambered in 30-30 or other smaller center fire with a 12 guage, over/under style. Looks more like a bufallo gun.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I have an old 22lr revolver with the long barrel. Certainly accurate enough to hunt rabbit with, using the high velocity loads. And works alongside the 22lr rifle.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I don't think S&W has made the kit gun for some time but, people really liked them and I think you would too. Revolvers aren't as popular these days but still have much to recommend them. One nice thing is that they are simple to operate. More training is always better but, if you really had to, you could put one in someones hands who never fired a gun and they could defend themselves with it. -Point this at the bad guy where you think it will do the most damage and start pulling the trigger. Not an ideal situation but, there are worse.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by beezwaxes

Yeah, I believe that the model 317 S&W is a kit gun. If they don't call it one it is still pretty much the same thing just a new version.link

[edit on 4-12-2007 by Digital_Reality]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Depending on where I am hiking I usually carry my BondArms Snake Slayer. I live in Central Florida and do most of my hiking and camping here and the .410 shot shell is very nice for killing snakes. Though I have only had to do it once. It also would be great for self defense if you run across one of those 210lb "upright" snakes that seem to be raising the crime rates in our national and state parks and wilderness areas. I used to carry a Strohm .22 short revolver. Problem with that is you could not hit the broadside of a barn if you were standing inside the barn with the door shut!

For a survival pistol I would take a .22 LR long barrel revolver any day.
Learned to shoot on a Ruger .22 LR single action with a 6.5 inch barrel. Killed Ground hogs with a head shots at around 50 yards or so. Quiet if you need to be and little or no recoil. Shot placement is crucial with that small of a calibre but being able to stuff 1000rds in your pack and barely notice is surely a huge advantage.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I own a Savage 64F with a synthetic stock. The stock is hollow and I replaced the Phillips head screws with common screws and stash some ammo and other survival gear in their. My pistol is Ruger 22/45. I've taped a little point of aim chart for Velocitor ammo to the stock as well as my other favorite, Aguila SE. The Velocitor ammo is about as hot an ammo as you can buy and will cleanly take jackrabbits(hares) at well past 100 yards. It will safely dispatch much larger game at under 50 yards with head shots only maybe a heart shot at under 25 yards from the rifle. We were tinkering around with our rimfire pistols after an air rifle field-target match last month. We were able to hit a regulation 300m man silhouette at 100 yards with my 22/45(10/10 times), Browning Buckmark and a S&W target pistol using a spotter. Most shots fell in the torso are but we still had a few head shots. We've no trouble bouncing soda pop cans at 50- 60 yards with them. A good rimfire bolt action .22 RF rifle equipped with scope should be able to keep 5 shots within a 4 inch circle at 200 yards no problem if the shooter knows what he's doing.

new topics

top topics

join